The Student Room Group

Girls...WHY is she doing this to me :\ ?

I'm going to keep this as short as possible. For the last year or so me and this girl have had something going on between us. We could have been in a relationship, but my lack of confidence/experience meant this never happened. She went off to uni in September but we still very much seemed interested in each other. EVerytime she would visit we'd end up hooking up (and by that I mean kissing, cuddling etc). It was my bday in December, and she ended up staying at my house after a night out. We never had sex, but nearly did (without going into detail..was my first experience lol).

Fast forward to now. She came back from Uni recently to celebrate her Mums bday. We all went on a night out but she seemed different. We barely had a chance to chat and she ended up leaving saying she had to meet with her other friends. What's confusing is a week prior to that she was doing the usual stuff. Regular texts, drunken messages on my phone to wake up to (cringey but I liked getting them). You get my drift. I played it cool, but I was looking forward to this visit for over a month!

Now recently she's just different. Doesn't iniate text/facebook chat conversations much. None of the messages to wake up to. Also she's just posting updates on Facebook all the time about parties and how much fun she's having with certain people from Uni, tagging them in posts. I know the natural response is that she has moved on. But this change is out of nowhere. Within the last 2 weeks or so.

Has she really gone off me that quickly? Am I overeacting/overthinking things? I'm thinking maybe just leave it and speak to her next time she's back? In terms of distance, I live near Devon and her Uni is up near the Midlands. I've never been so crazy over a girl...it's actually making me ill. The thought of her with someone else makes me feel so depressed.

Scroll to see replies

=( I'm one of those people who gets literally love sick too. It's not good =(

She might be trying to distance herself from you to move on. She might have been finding it really hard being so far away from you for so long, so she wants to move on from you and she's trying to do that by partying loads and being with friends all the time and not contacting you.

Or unfortunately she's just moved on.
Reply 2
Original post by hollyhollywood92
=( I'm one of those people who gets literally love sick too. It's not good =(

She might be trying to distance herself from you to move on. She might have been finding it really hard being so far away from you for so long, so she wants to move on from you and she's trying to do that by partying loads and being with friends all the time and not contacting you.

Or unfortunately she's just moved on.

She has said she wishes we could be together. I know the distance thing is an issue. Thanks for the response.

Yeah I am glad she is having fun there. I just don't understand this sudden change in behaviour. If it was overtime then yeah, it would be more clear. I'm talking in the last 14 or so days though.

My biggest regret is not making a proper move. None of my friends could understand this either. Just my confidence is very low. Poor excuse, I know.
Reply 3
She may have been slowly going off you but it's only been noticable in the past fortnight
Reply 4
I'm trying haha...
Ok :\ think I should just straight up tell her how I feel next time I'm back?
Reply 5
Original post by bhaynes
She may have been slowly going off you but it's only been noticable in the past fortnight

Damn... :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I'm trying haha...
Ok :\ think I should just straight up tell her how I feel next time I'm back?

*she's back
Reply 7
Are you trolling haha?
Why would I wanna make her jealous? I don't think it would be awkward tbh. She has been open with me in the past...she made the first move in everything and I guess it was my job to ask her out which I messed up.
Reply 8
So really, you think I'm coming across abit too "easy" to her?
Reply 9
She doesn't seem like that kind of girl, but I guess she could be! Just gonna' keep my distance for a bit and let her initiate conversations etc. Hardest thing is taking my mind off it. I dread seeing her tagged photos and stuff haha.

Got a few things coming up that should keep me busy anyway...
I'm going to keep this as short as possible. For the last year or so me and this girl have had something going on between us. We could have been in a relationship, but my lack of confidence/experience meant this never happened. She went off to uni in September but we still very much seemed interested in each other. EVerytime she would visit we'd end up hooking up (and by that I mean kissing, cuddling etc). It was my bday in December, and she ended up staying at my house after a night out. We never had sex, but nearly did (without going into detail..was my first experience lol).

Fast forward to now. She came back from Uni recently to celebrate her Mums bday. We all went on a night out but she seemed different. We barely had a chance to chat and she ended up leaving saying she had to meet with her other friends. What's confusing is a week prior to that she was doing the usual stuff. Regular texts, drunken messages on my phone to wake up to (cringey but I liked getting them). You get my drift. I played it cool, but I was looking forward to this visit for over a month!

Now recently she's just different. Doesn't iniate text/facebook chat conversations much. None of the messages to wake up to. Also she's just posting updates on Facebook all the time about parties and how much fun she's having with certain people from Uni, tagging them in posts. I know the natural response is that she has moved on. But this change is out of nowhere. Within the last 2 weeks or so.

Has she really gone off me that quickly? Am I overeacting/overthinking things? I'm thinking maybe just leave it and speak to her next time she's back? In terms of distance, I live near Devon and her Uni is up near the Midlands. I've never been so crazy over a girl...it's actually making me ill. The thought of her with someone else makes me feel so depressed.

It is probably what you don't want to hear, but yes, she has probably moved on and found someone else and doesn't really know how to tell you? Maybe ask her you deserve to know, and sometimes we have to hear things we don't like. It might be tough for a while, but there is no reason why you can't still be friends and I promise you will find someone who is perfect for you one day :smile:
Reply 11
Sound advice.

Get with another girl, and she will be MUCH keener.

I'm dead serious, it works.

Edit: Thinking about it more, I think you should ask yourself if the reason you're so attached to her is because you haven't done this much stuff with other girls. Even if you haven't fully had sex yet, it's very easy to get attached to the first ones, for no other reason than that they're you're first. This problem could also be resolved by getting with another girl.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by NYprincessmaddie
It is probably what you don't want to hear, but yes, she has probably moved on and found someone else and doesn't really know how to tell you? Maybe ask her you deserve to know, and sometimes we have to hear things we don't like. It might be tough for a while, but there is no reason why you can't still be friends and I promise you will find someone who is perfect for you one day :smile:

Ahhh didn't want to hear that :frown: thanks for the comment though. I'm not really out looking for anyone, but meeting her was so random and she has been on my mind for literally a year or so. Madness. If I could not like her, I would!

Just a few weeks ago she was telling my friends she thinks about me even around other guys, misses and she even once said to me she "thinks she loves me" although I brushed that aside as possible drunken talk. I'll see what happens.

Original post by Harrifer
Sound advice.

Get with another girl, and she will be MUCH keener.

I'm dead serious, it works.

Edit: Thinking about it more, I think you should ask yourself if the reason you're so attached to her is because you haven't done this much stuff with other girls. Even if you haven't fully had sex yet, it's very easy to get attached to the first ones, for no other reason than that they're you're first. This problem could also be resolved by getting with another girl.

Haha unlikely to happen mate. I'm **** around girls. Never approach and hardly ever get approached. Too shy and all my mates are guys.

Tbf that second point is a good one. But I'd say its a bit more than lust lol. Oh I could have easily lost "it" with her. Need to man up I know..the fact she said to my friend she's waiting for me to make that move. Wish she'd just tell me all this to my face.

:angry:
You had no balls and right away you were condemned to the FZ.

Once you are there...you know....there is no turning back. Ah reminds me of that song by Robert Plant!
Reply 14
Well she might have just moved on with her life and is enjoying her time at uni. But the fact the change was so sudden sounds to me as if she might have met someone else. :frown: I don't understand, you have a girl who you'd kissed and more on numerous occasions, drunkenly said she loves you and is waiting for you to make a move and you still didn't ask her out properly after a year?! I know having low confidence is difficult, but the signs were all there, you should have done something about it!

I'm not sure what you can do now, although I'd disagree with the person who said ignore her, partly because I think playing games with people is unfair, and partly because it doesn't exactly sound as if she's sat by the phone waiting for you to call right now and doing so would be counter productive. If she's getting on with uni life or getting closer to another guy, surely it would just make her forget about you more? It sort of sounds as if you've missed the boat by a long way on this one, but I would suggest trying to keep in touch with her while she's at uni, and then next time she's back, invite her out somewhere and tell her how you feel.
Reply 15
Original post by masterfulprof
You had no balls and right away you were condemned to the FZ.

Once you are there...you know....there is no turning back. Ah reminds me of that song by Robert Plant!

Nah it's more than then friend zone, lol.

Original post by deadwing
Well she might have just moved on with her life and is enjoying her time at uni. But the fact the change was so sudden sounds to me as if she might have met someone else. :frown: I don't understand, you have a girl who you'd kissed and more on numerous occasions, drunkenly said she loves you and is waiting for you to make a move and you still didn't ask her out properly after a year?! I know having low confidence is difficult, but the signs were all there, you should have done something about it!

I'm not sure what you can do now, although I'd disagree with the person who said ignore her, partly because I think playing games with people is unfair, and partly because it doesn't exactly sound as if she's sat by the phone waiting for you to call right now and doing so would be counter productive. If she's getting on with uni life or getting closer to another guy, surely it would just make her forget about you more? It sort of sounds as if you've missed the boat by a long way on this one, but I would suggest trying to keep in touch with her while she's at uni, and then next time she's back, invite her out somewhere and tell her how you feel.

I know it was stupid of me :frown: The whole time I was thinking "Why would she like me?", and now on reflection, I should have just put insecurities aside...

Her meeting someone else was my biggest fear, even though she is not my girlfriend. But she is with the same group of people that have been there from the start - same guys and girls?

My friend has also noticed that she is acting differently lately. Maybe its just a phase? I dunno...this is horrible but thanks for the reply.
Reply 16
Haha unlikely to happen mate. I'm **** around girls. Never approach and hardly ever get approached. Too shy and all my mates are guys.

Well how are you going to sort that out?

This is what I see: you aren't decisive enough, and you seem to be doing nothing to rectify that fundamental problem.

You need to man up and take the opportunities you have.
Reply 17
Anyone else wanna shed some light on this depressing time? :frown:
Reply 18
Original post by Harrifer
Well how are you going to sort that out?

This is what I see: you aren't decisive enough, and you seem to be doing nothing to rectify that fundamental problem.

You need to man up and take the opportunities you have.

I am trying to boos my confidence. I know, I need to man up lol...
I think that she's moved on, sorry man.

Learn from this mistake, and don't do it again. At the end of the day, if you like someone and ask them out, what's the worst that can happen? They say no. How is that worst than the position you're currently in? So you move on and find someone else. And on the off chance that they say yes, then you've got a chance :smile:

Once you've asked a few people out, it does get easier because you realise that no-one will bite your head off. It's also probably easier to do before you get too emotionally connected to them so it isn't such a great loss of a friendship if they say no.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending