Durham
Visit website

Durham Freshers 2012 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
College: Van Mildert
Subject: Law
Offer: A*AA conditional
Why Durham?: traditional and structured course appealing; community atmosphere.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by spark3
Offer: A*AA conditional
Why Durham?: traditional and structured course appealing; community atmosphere.

Same here!

Offer: Conditional IB 38 HL 766
Why Durham?: The collegiate system and the sports :smile:
Other: HK student!
Hey firmers! I'm just wondering what your decision letters from Durham look like? I thought I'd be an international but the letter didn't mention anything about my fee status at all! If they didn't mention, does it mean that I'm a home student?
Reply 43
Original post by blacktreacle
Hey firmers! I'm just wondering what your decision letters from Durham look like? I thought I'd be an international but the letter didn't mention anything about my fee status at all! If they didn't mention, does it mean that I'm a home student?

Mine had all the fees outlined in it, but it could differ from college to college. Which one are you in? Is there any chance you could be considered a home student?
Reply 44
Name: Parth
College: Collingwood
Subject: English Literature
Offer: Conditional. Require 60% in my FYBA final exam. So I'm DEFINITELY coming! :colone:
Why Durham: One of the best that is there. Plus English dept ranks in the top few.
Other: Indian student.

Original post by aditiravi
Name: aditi
College: collingwood
Subject: Law!
Offer (conditional/unconditional): AAA, which i've made so i'm pretty thrilled (:
Why Durham?: coming from singapore and having lived in ldn before, i didn't want to get swept away by the ~romanticism~ of living there again and durham sounds perfect for this (: plus it's beautiful, and ranked insanely high - i can't wait!
any other collingwood kids here? (:

Aye! :smile:
Original post by JPDub
Mine had all the fees outlined in it, but it could differ from college to college. Which one are you in? Is there any chance you could be considered a home student?

I'm assigned to St Aidan's! My decision letter didn't mention any fee status, but my college snail mail did mention to me that the tuition fees will be 9000, but still it sounds very general and doesn't tell me whether I'm a home or an international? Shall I phone/email them or not? But the dilemma is that if I contact them and ask them about my fee status, they may reconsider my situation and make me an international! :tongue:
Original post by JPDub

I'm a EU citizen and have lived in the UK for two years, so there is a slight possibility that I might be a home/EU. But the possibility is SO slight, so I'm really confused! Should I just leave it or..?
Original post by evening sunrise
It is not so much that we decided to go, we have always been going, the question was one of timing. I had a place in 1981 (physics), but elected to become a computer programmer as graduate employment then was truly dire and the new field was very lucrative. So we have bided our time, never ever lost site of the objective, raised a family and had an awsome 3 gap decades. About 3 years ago we set a soft target of 2012 entry, and we made that target hard last September. My employer was a bit shocked I will admit.

I am totally relaxed about it, my wife slightly more nervous. I will not be living in college, my wife and I, plus the 2 of our 4 kids still to fledge are getting a house in Durham. I will not be very visible at Uni. When not studying I will be out in countryside, dressed as a bush, with my cameras, sometimes a tent. The most likely place I will be spotted, excepting the actual course and formals, is at Uni sporting events, again with cameras, or at live rock gigs if Durham has those.

All the best with hitting your offer. You will have a great time once you get to Uni.

I seriously admire you and your wife. I wish when I get older I still have that passion and willingness to pursue knowledge!
Reply 48
I'm a EU citizen and have lived in the UK for two years, so there is a slight possibility that I might be a home/EU. But the possibility is SO slight, so I'm really confused! Should I just leave it or..?

If you're EU you would pay home fees, wouldn't you? I think that's how it is.
Original post by JPDub
If you're EU you would pay home fees, wouldn't you? I think that's how it is.

Yea but the general rule is that if I'm an EU I have to reside in the UK for at least 3 years in order to be qualified for an EU fees, otherwise I should still be international.
Yea but the general rule is that if I'm an EU I have to reside in the UK for at least 3 years in order to be qualified for an EU fees, otherwise I should still be international.

No, you just have to live in the EU for 3 years, not the UK :smile:

Then you get tuition fee loans like UK students do, but I don't think you can get the maintenance loans and grants. Check on the directgov website (google 'student finance England').
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by undergradstudent
No, you just have to live in the EU for 3 years, not the UK :smile:

Then you get tuition fee loans like UK students do, but I don't think you can get the maintenance loans and grants. Check on the directgov website (google 'student finance England').

Thanks for the info :smile: but awkwardly enough I'm an EU citizen but never lived in the EU until I came to England 2 years ago :/
Thanks for the info :smile: but awkwardly enough I'm an EU citizen but never lived in the EU until I came to England 2 years ago :/

Ah. In that case you definitely need to ring up your firm and insurance universities, and student finance, on Tuesday and find out exactly what your fee status is and check that the universities have the correct fee status for you.
Reply 53
Name: Alice
College: St John's
Subject: Sociology
Offer (conditional): AAB
Why Durham?: Beautiful place, collegiate system, friendly people, good reputation and generally had a sense of belonging there :smile:
Reply 54
Name: Daita
College: Hatfield
Subject: Philosophy + Politics
Offer (conditional/unconditional): conditional, 37 IB points with 666 at highers
Why Durham?: because the course is great, its a top uni, the atmosphere seems amazing and I love the traditionalness. Plus, there are heaps of opportunities for example with the arts. basically theres loads of stuff to do aside from just studying. and its much less intimidating than moving to some massive city :smile:
Other: Does anyone know about the leniency of durham university on results day? :/ I am terrified of my conditions :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DaitaG
Name:biggrin:aita
Offer (conditional/unconditional): conditional, 37 IB points with 666 at highers
Why Durham?: because the course is great, its a top uni, the atmosphere seems amazing and I love the traditionalness. Plus, there are heaps of opportunities for example with the arts. basically theres loads of stuff to do aside from just studying. and its much less intimidating than moving to some massive city :smile:
Other: Does anyone know about the leniency of durham university on results day? :/ I am terrified of my conditions :P

I doubt they're very lenient as they're likely to fill the spaces with people who do meet the requirements. However I'm not too sure, but good luck anyway!
Reply 56
Name: Ollie
College: St Mary's
Subject: Biological Sciences
Offer (conditional/unconditional): Unconditional
Why Durham?: I fell in love with it when I visited, and no other unis have given me that same spark. I love the collegiate system because I went to a very small school (250 people) so I like the personal environment of colleges.
Other: I'm on a gap year, working and reading lots! Wishing these 6 months would go faster!
Reply 57
Original post by DaitaG
Name:biggrin:aita

well, my offer last year was ABB. i got A*AC on results day (which in points is actually higher) but they didn't let me in because i technically missed the grades so the place was filled by someone else.

HOWEVER, on results day, if you find out that you've missed your grades, phone the admissions tutor for your COURSE (not the uni or college one) and ask if they'll defer your offer. they might then give you an unconditional for next year (like me).

they have meetings the few days after results day to decide who they should let in and who not to. also, it's best to phone the unis on results day because UCAS will be crashed (last year nobody could log in because there were too many people) so get about 3 numbers for the uni and keep calling them!

i hope you get the grades anyway :wink:
Name: Jack
College : Hatfield (waiting to be confirmed)
Subject International Relations
Offer : Conditional AAA (achieved)
Why Durham: Great academic uni, like the idea of a college system, absolutely fell in love with it when I visited on the post offer open day, very sporty uni too which im a big fan of.
Other : send me a message if your off to Hatfield or doing international relations
(edited 12 years ago)
EEEEEE I'M DEAD EXCITED! :biggrin:

Name: Emily
College: Saint Aidan's, anyone?
Subject: Biological Sciences with industrial placement
Offer (conditional/unconditional): Conditional
Why Durham?: Close to home, really pretty, giving me loadsa monies.
Other: Lowered offer because I did an assessed project with 'em last year :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest