The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chucklefiend
Not if you do them through ICS or the National Extension College, there are no entry requirements to do A levels through these distance learning providers. The real question is whether somebody who got mostly Fs in their GCSEs would be capable of achieving the required grades at A level either.

Ahh, didn't know about that and yes, you're right.
Yes, but to be honest, they're not going to get into a good university.
Reply 22
Original post by Rhona Smith
Go to college first then work your way up to University :smile:

where would you recommend I begin? what course in college for example? thank you
Reply 23
Do something vocational, learn a trade that allows you to get a job. If your not academic A levels and Uni just arn't worth it even if you manage to pull it together. That's just my opinion though and in answer to your question it is possible IF you can find somewhere to do retakes/allows you to take a levels despite of this (though high ranking Uni's and a lot of courses will most likely be out of the question). :s-smilie:

On second read, if your other subjects are going well then go for it and if you can pull the other couple up then you might be in for a shot :smile: Some Uni's also do access programs for some subjects where you just have to do an extra year pre-degree to get you up to standard if you really want it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 24
Depends what OP wants to study. If you want to do an Arts degree there shouldn't be an issue. I don't even have a Science GCSE and it took me 3 attempts to get Maths to a C but still have offers from Kings, Goldsmiths, Royal Holloway which I am on target to meet.

Don't listen to the haters. If university is something you want to do go for it!
Original post by Oasis'
But I can't go back to school at 20 can I? I guess it'd have to be college.

Pretty sure there's no age limit on college, but that would be something worth checking.

How long do the courses often last, also are there any age restrictions that your aware of? thank you so much

Depends how long it takes you to pass I guess, but my mate passed his GCSE English after half a year or so? Depends how far off the pass you were at GCSE, some people missed it by a few marks so it didn't take long. If you struggled to get near a C, it may take longer. Again, ask the colleges, they could give you a much better answer.

Good luck :smile:
You would find it difficult to get onto most A-level/Level 3 BTEC courses with those GCSEs because many specify that you must have 5 A*-C grades (normally including Maths and English), so you'll have to overcome the obstacle of getting into college before thinking about university.

You could try out an ACCESS to HE course if a local college provides it.
Original post by Chucklefiend
Technically as long as you have A levels at the required grades you don't need GCSEs at all for many degree courses in the UK.

How so? Most university courses I've seen require a minimum of a grade C in English and Mathematics; without this, you won't be accepted no matter how good your A-levels are. It depends on the course though.
Reply 28
Original post by Oasis'
where would you recommend I begin? what course in college for example? thank you

Any idea what you want to study at uni? :smile: If you have a good idea then maybe consider an access course; you can get onto one with no qualifications and usually you can ask the college if you can take GCSE Maths and English alongside it (my boyfriend's college let him do this).
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
How so? Most university courses I've seen require a minimum of a grade C in English and Mathematics; without this, you won't be accepted no matter how good your A-levels are. It depends on the course though.

Most state unless you offer these subjects at A level, so you'd simply have to do Maths and English as two of your A levels.
Reply 30
Original post by Oasis'

I have heard of this before but where would I go to retake the G.C.S.E.? also say I get an E in Science and I retook my grades in college and got a B will that overwrite my G.SC.S.E. gained in school ?

You call up local schools and ask them if they would accept you as an independent candidate for your GCSE. It's pretty easy, I had to do it for my Maths GCSE as it is a requirement for my current university offer.
If I were you i'd re-do those GCSEs and then work really hard at A Level, then you could get into a good uni rather than scraping into a not so good one because of poor GCSEs. Good luck! :smile:
With 4 D-Gs you could probably do a level 2 qualification (GCSE A-C equivalent) at college. If you pass that you could progress to level 3 (A level equivalent) and than onto uni. Think about what you'd like to do and check out local colleges. See what your local college offers in vocational qualifications, you could probably do key skills in numeracy and literacy which unis might accept as equal qualifications for grade C and above at English and maths. If you've got a dream, go for it!
Reply 33
Think C in maths and english is the 'technical' requirement for unis... some employers filter at that level even for non graduate jobs.
They can, but they shouldn't.
Reply 35
Probably. Maybe through an access course but I'm not really sure of the details.

Although to be honest (I'm anticipating the negs already) - if that's what they're getting at GCSE, perhaps A-levels (and thus university) aren't for them. There's nothing wrong with apprenticeships - in fact, we need more people doing them!
Reply 36
Oh yeah, local colleges do english and maths nightschool... So you'd be in a group of adult learners. Also might be worth looking at the OU.
Have you checked with your college to see if you could retake them? My college offer evening classes which take a year to attain GCSEs in English Language and Maths. You could enquire about that. Many colleges also offer a chance to do GCSEs within a year if a candidate hasn't received very good grades previously. There's also the option of self-studying for them and registering at a school/college as an external candidate. If you achieve a higher grade, it over-rides whatever grade previously attained. Ideally, you'll need 5 A*-C's, including Maths and English. If you're planning on studying at uni, you'll need English and Maths, so you could see if you could start your A-levels whilst studying for your Maths and English.

Lots of people muck around during their GCSEs and so they're not the best indicator of a person's intellect.
Reply 38
Original post by I wish there was a
I know someone who has no GCSEs, he is currently studying an Access course and has an offer from King's to study philosophy.

is King's a university?
You can't go to any university without at least having C's in maths and english I don't think. Certain universities might make exceptions for certain people such as foreign students providing their A-level (or equivalent) grades make up for it. If you want to study something that's in any way considered academic then they'll expect at least 5 C's, maybe more. To do A-levels you have to have B's in the subjects you want to take or in similar subjects such as you have to have B's in english (lit and lang) to do psychology A-level at most colleges. Depending on what you want to study though they might accept you providing you take evening classes and re-sit them.

The more important thing to consider here I think is that if you're not capable of getting C's at GCSE then how will you cope on a level 3 course that would get you to university anyway? Sorry to be blunt but if someone does badly in their GCSEs because they're incapable of getting higher grades then they shouldn't be considering doing an academic university course. It's a bit unrealistic.

Latest

Trending

Trending