The Student Room Group

Thinking about dropping out - Unhappy and unmotivated in second year of uni

Hi everyone,
So i'm in my second year of studying psychology - I HATE the course! So much so, I can't even be bothered doing the work anymore.
I love my life whilst at university, have great friends and love living independently, but the course is just not for me, and its really getting me down.

I thought about quitting last year, but stupidly kept at it. Now I'm in the second year, looking at a third if I continue onto third year, and am just really unhappy and stressed. I have no idea what I want to do for a career, and psychology has very low employment rates anyway.

Any suggestions on what to do with my life? I'm literally open to any ideas!

Scroll to see replies

Set up your own business. If you have the funds. Like an ice-cream parlour. That would be nice.
Reply 2
Original post by Golden_Boy786
Set up your own business. If you have the funds. Like an ice-cream parlour. That would be nice.

Problem solved. Thanks
Reply 3
You're half way through your second year, so if i was you, some how, find motivation and just finish your degree.
Original post by smileybop
Problem solved. Thanks

Eh?

you sure.:eek:
Work abroad.
Reply 6
what university are you at? and how bad is the course? i'm planning on doing it next year but i don't have an a-level so the only info i have of the subject is was iv researched! Is it that you are finding it difficult or boring? also, out of interest, were you very keen on the subject when you first applied? I agree with the above post, might as well just finish it, at least you will have the degree that you be studying for 1 year and a half! :smile:
Couldn't you drop out and go do another degree that interests you? Or ask about taking a gap year, and then coming back?
Reply 8
Original post by Mr. Approachable
Work abroad.

I would LOVE to! But have no idea how i'd get started... hint hint

Original post by keepinorder
what university are you at? and how bad is the course? i'm planning on doing it next year but i don't have an a-level so the only info i have of the subject is was iv researched! Is it that you are finding it difficult or boring? also, out of interest, were you very keen on the subject when you first applied? I agree with the above post, might as well just finish it, at least you will have the degree that you be studying for 1 year and a half! :smile:

I did GCSE and Alevel psychology, and loved it. Don't get me wrong, some parts of the course can be interesting, but mostly its just tedious. What we are taught is a little bit of infomation on a broad amount of subjects...so you never really learn that much about what interests you (of course learning more is down to you, but wont be worth much in exams). Theres a lot of maths involved too, which i loathe! Good luck though!

Original post by Ryan-Hetherington
Couldn't you drop out and go do another degree that interests you? Or ask about taking a gap year, and then coming back?
Can't afford to :frown:
Finish your degree, you wont get funding again and although jobs are limited, you have a massive choice of careers.

I think you know you should have changed at the end of year one, but for whatever reason you stayed on. Whatever that reason was stick with it. If you leave you will be leaving your friends and independence and for what? Apparently the job market isn't very good and you will be going backwards a step.
Well, work for a year, and maybe working for a year will show you that you want to go in to a degree based job, and not a Minimum wage grind.
Reply 11
Original post by Ryan-Hetherington
Well, work for a year, and maybe working for a year will show you that you want to go in to a degree based job, and not a Minimum wage grind.

I've worked for minimum wage before :smile: and quite enjoyed it tbh
I would drop out if I were you. If you aren't enjoying it you won't be motivated to do well and you won't come out with a decent score/grade or whatever you call it at uni. I've been to a few talks recently (I'm applying to uni) and all of them stress how important it is to come out with a high 2:1 or whatever. Do something you enjoy because you don't want to get swallowed up into a career you don't want to be in. You could volunteer abroad for a few months to try and get an idea of what you might want to do? Hope I helped :smile:
This is the last thing that you want to hear but: finish the degree. You're more than halfway through - walk away now and all of the work that you have put in will have been for nothing. You've put yourself through it so far - you owe it to yourself to get the degree since you worked hard a) to get into uni and b) to get this far. Believe me, you are not the only one who dislikes uni/their course, but the reason people keep on going even when they hate it is because they know that in the long run it will be worth it. Have you ever heard really hardworking/under pressure people say of their job 'it's a privilege, but I wouldn't say I enjoy it!' - well it's pretty much the same for uni. It's a privilege, and it's a good position to be in, but it doesn't mean that it's supposed to be/has to be enjoyable - it's just a means to an end. But the end will be worth it.

Have a look on the internet for jobs without a degree and then look for jobs with any 2:1 degree - you will quickly see that unless you really want to work in Tesco's on the tills for a while then you're much better off with a degree. Sure enough, you probably won't walk into a brilliant job once you graduate but you'll have so many more doors open to you at that point and for the rest of your life than you would without a degree.

I don't know if you've ever seen this website: http://ihateuniversity.com/2004/03/why-i-hate-university-life/ - see how many people hate it, but most of them say they will stay because they realise it's a waste to walk away and that they are there for a reason.

I nearly dropped out in my 2nd year (I'm 3rd year now and graduating this summer). With the job market the way it is, I'm so glad that I didn't drop out. I don't expect to get an amazing job this summer but I will be in a much better position than if I had dropped out.

Obviously, there will be people who tell you to leave in order to be happy (in the short term!) and people like me will urge you to stay - ultimately it's you're life choice and dropping out doesn't make you a failure, it's just your choice. But consider you choice very carefully and try to figure out whether or not leaving would put you in a better position or not.

Good luck!
(edited 12 years ago)
All that I would say is that in the current climate, your CV will look much better with a degree and seeing as you are already well into the subject it would be silly to throw that all away and have accrued debt with little to show for it.

I struggled with my course at the beginning of second year. I decided to focus heavily on the modules that I enjoyed whilst I started to do more work with my friends on the course and that helped to make the work a lot more exciting.
I hate university at the moment as well, and I'm in the same year as you, but we've really not got long left.

You really are better off just carrying on now and getting on with the last bit. If you think about it, excluding holidays, it's only about 5/6 months anyway :smile:

You'll feel better once you've had the holidays and you're bored. I think it's just this time in the degree, because everyone I know is feeling like this!
Reply 16
I dropped out after my second year, and didn't consider switching courses, but also had no idea what to switch to. Still don't, 4 years down the line.
I've given up on uni, but that doesn't mean it's the be all and end all.

If you don't like psychology, what is finishing your degree really going to do? I know some uni's really make studying a subject crap though with all this extra stuff no one needs. My course was like that, and I got told all the time 'I'm too different', 'too into realism'.
I just decided to go it alone.
A word of warning. My friends sister was in. Simmilar position to you and droppe out and now she cannot secure funding for a new degree. She is kind of stuck atm in a dead end job- not saying it will work out like that kust saring my experience.

However, if you are prepared to do it you may be able to transfer you current cours credit to the open uni. With your modules you might be able to go onto a different named degree, say sociology or social science, or if they dont let you move onto a named degree you could move onto an 'open' egree. This basically means you can choose whatver modules you want to make up your degree (so of you thonk you will be interested in art history you could spend the rest of your time stuying that). Th fees in september are going up to 5k pe year but i you ar hating your course that much an extra 1.5k seems worh it. Plus if yoi went this route you could continue living with your friend (though you would hve to pqy fo your own accomodation but oud have time to work if you needed to).
Reply 18
Out of curioscity, what made you take it?

Not having a go im just curious
Original post by smileybop
I would LOVE to! But have no idea how i'd get started... hint hint

Well if you finish your degree or even if you started again doing something else you can look into sandwich years abroad. Brits are rather sought after abroad for work. Dubai is rather interesting in my experience. That is an option for you. You'll also be highly paid. For example, industry starters (like in business or marketing) can be on up to 30K TAX free. Just saying. Take a look online. I'm a teacher so for me to work abroad is extremely tempting.

Latest

Trending

Trending