The Student Room Group

Clueless American Needs Help! Didn't get into UCL, what's my next step?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by MathematicsKiller
Try Liverpool John Moores University.

Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
University of the west of scotland is the best univeristy in scotland and 3rd best in the uk, you should apply there.

You guys are pure evil.
Reply 21
Original post by IK237
Boston is a good University. I'm suprised UCL rejected you. Mabye it was because of the lack of enthusiasm in your personal statement?

Anyway you need to hurry with your applications as places are beginning to diminish especially since some of the top universities have seperate entry points for Domestic and International students.

To be honest, I'm surprised that UCL rejected me, too! I mean I knew didn't have like a 100% chance of getting in but I thought I would. I do think my personal statement was weak. I will definitely apply next year with a stronger one. I really did kind of throw my application together this year because all of a sudden I realized that I really wanted to go. But yeah next year I'll have more time to make a better application.

And I'm not going to apply to any of these schools this year. This is all in planning for starting the applications next fall. I have a pretty free summer so I want to spend the summer really perfecting my personal statements and edit them perfectly for each school and program that I'm going to apply to, so that's why i'm planning now.
Reply 22
Original post by ellemay816
Hi Everyone!

So I just need a bit of advice as I am an American and therefore not familiar with the universities in the UK and am definitely interested in attending a postgraduate program in the UK.

So this year, kind of on a whim, I applied to just UCL for Economic Policy. I got rejected and now as I am really serious about postgrad school I need to know what universities may be more "in my league" as I really don't want to face a whole load of rejections when I apply next year.

Some quick stats: From undergrad I have a 3.5 GPA (from what I know this is a solid 2:1 degree in the UK system). I did a semester of Environmental Economics at LSE as well as a semester in Israel. I have had pretty interesting internships in the US, London and in Israel. I'm looking at doing a degree in some kind of Economics (like international economics, development economics, economic policy).

So far my research has shown me that since I got rejected from UCL I should look at schools that are a bit more "second tier." These are the ones I've decided to apply to so far:
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Manchester
KCL (War Studies Dept for this one)
LSE (Hey, it might happen! but this is definitely a stretch, I know)
Bristol
Leeds

If anyone can give me any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it!!!!

Most of the info you have received so far in the thread is good, but I just wanna mention that in the UK, extra-curricular activities are not really regarded as highly as they are in the US. Although they undoubtedly help, the majority of the uni's here, particularly the top ones, focus on your academic credentials so make sure you've reinforced said credentials in your application.
Reply 23
Original post by IK237
Boston is a good University. I'm suprised UCL rejected you. Mabye it was because of the lack of enthusiasm in your personal statement?

As a rule, UK unis far are less interested in where you did undergrad than how well you did. Although a 2:1 or equivalent is usually the minimum, it doesn't mean you'll get in...many competitive programs might state this as minimum but in practice you may find that you need a high 2:1 or a 1st to actually get in. (I have no idea competitive Eco policy at UCL is though.). Also, apart from personal statement, references tend to be very important as well.
Reply 24
So since I need to emphasize the good grades I got (and maybe not talk about my extra circulars as much) should i mention the good courses I took and what grades I got in them? For instance, I took a really tough course from a tough, well known, professor and I got an A in the class. Should i talk about this course in my personal statement? Also, in my Econ classes alone I have a 3.6 GPA, which is considered a higher 2:1 degree (while when you count all of my courses together, like the science and English classes i had to take as a freshman, I only have a 3.5), should I mention that?
Reply 25
Original post by IK237

Personal statements don't matter much or at all for the kind of courses the OP applied to. Given that she attended a good school and got a solid GPA, the letters of recommendation may be to blame. For the top 4 UK schools, i.e. Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, it is crucial to have very strong recommendations as the competition for spots is fierce, particularly in some subjects. Academic awards such as "best graduate in ... of the year" and such definitely help too. To stand a decent chance you should be in the top 10% of your department, and have the recommenders mention that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 26
Hi ellemay :smile:

as a disclaimer I should probably mention that I have absolutely no experience in your field/chosen subject! I've been accepted on a Masters course at KCL starting this september, and before I applied I spent a long time researching the best way to approach a personal statement, so this is based on what I learnt about personal statements and what I did. That said, I don't know whether or not they actually liked my personal statement, but it at least got me a place on the course!

The key things that I think might help are:
-Enthusiasm for the subject - explain the parts of your undergrad course you liked the most, and talk about what you covered, what you wrote about, what you researched, your acheivements etc.
-Detail - rather than trying to summarise every single thing you covered, go into details about your specific interests. This makes you sound like a stronger, more interesting candidate because you're demonstrating a clear passion for certain areas of the subject.
-Indicate why 'University X' is the ideal place for you to pursue your particular interests (I only applie dto Kings, but obviously alter this part depending on where you're applying!) I went online and, after researching the modules offered and current research at KCL, I was able to explain why I felt it was the best fit for me
- Only include personal/extra curricular stuff if you can argue why it's directly relevant to the course. I included relevant successes and work experience, but kept this part quite brief

Hope this helps a bit maybe? :smile:

EDIT: what Ghost6 says above about personal statements not mattering as much for Oxbridge, UCL, LSE may well be correct, I don't have any experience applying to Oxbridge type unis. But I saw you're applying to a range of unis and I'm sure personal statements are important for some!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 27
Try London Met
Reply 28
Hi Everyone!

So I just need a bit of advice as I am an American and therefore not familiar with the universities in the UK and am definitely interested in attending a postgraduate program in the UK.

So this year, kind of on a whim, I applied to just UCL for Economic Policy. I got rejected and now as I am really serious about postgrad school I need to know what universities may be more "in my league" as I really don't want to face a whole load of rejections when I apply next year.

Some quick stats: From undergrad I have a 3.5 GPA (from what I know this is a solid 2:1 degree in the UK system). I did a semester of Environmental Economics at LSE as well as a semester in Israel. I have had pretty interesting internships in the US, London and in Israel. I'm looking at doing a degree in some kind of Economics (like international economics, development economics, economic policy).

So far my research has shown me that since I got rejected from UCL I should look at schools that are a bit more "second tier." These are the ones I've decided to apply to so far:
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Manchester
KCL (War Studies Dept for this one)
LSE (Hey, it might happen! but this is definitely a stretch, I know)
Bristol
Leeds

If anyone can give me any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it!!!!

firstly commiserations for the rejection from UCL
but if what you say is true [i have no idea about converting american grades in to British ones] have a solid 2:1 should get you into near enough every university in the UK i've heard of people getting into oxford and UCL on 2:1's personally if i were you i'd reapply to UCL you may well have just got a itchy admissions chap :rolleyes: but yar dont let the rejection dishearten you from your grades and extra curriculars you stand at least as good a shot as anyone else getting into top tier universities :smile:
and leading on from liverpool john moores suggestion why not check out london met :wink:
Rejection from UCL for one course =/= OMG MY LIFE IS OVER I MUST APPLY FOR A "SECOND TIER" UNIVERSITY".

Seriously though, when life gives you lemons make lemonade and all that, you've had one rejection for one course at one university. Try again, or try a different course, or a different university, but having a single rejection from UCL hardly means you're not capable of anything! Have some self-confidence in your applications and good luck! :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by Magnum Opus
Rejection from UCL for one course =/= OMG MY LIFE IS OVER I MUST APPLY FOR A "SECOND TIER" UNIVERSITY".

Seriously though, when life gives you lemons make lemonade and all that, you've had one rejection for one course at one university. Try again, or try a different course, or a different university, but having a single rejection from UCL hardly means you're not capable of anything! Have some self-confidence in your applications and good luck! :smile:

Thanks! I am definitely going to reapply to UCL, and even try LSE. I know my Personal Statement wasn't that great (I actually just read over it and I found some typos) so I think if I work really hard on the PS then I may have a better chance of getting in. Plus I may look into other programs at UCL that may be a bit less competitive.

What I would like to know, though, is what universities would I have a very good chance of getting into, but are still good universities. I know that a 2:1 is a good academic record so I feel like there must be good universities that would take me, even though places like UCL and LSE may be more of a stretch to get into? Right now I'm looking at Bristol and Leeds as good second choice schools. Does this seems probable?
Thanks! I am definitely going to reapply to UCL, and even try LSE. I know my Personal Statement wasn't that great (I actually just read over it and I found some typos) so I think if I work really hard on the PS then I may have a better chance of getting in. Plus I may look into other programs at UCL that may be a bit less competitive.

What I would like to know, though, is what universities would I have a very good chance of getting into, but are still good universities. I know that a 2:1 is a good academic record so I feel like there must be good universities that would take me, even though places like UCL and LSE may be more of a stretch to get into? Right now I'm looking at Bristol and Leeds as good second choice schools. Does this seems probable?

You'll struggle to find any university that wouldn't take someone with a 2:1 as long as they had a good application. Over here, a 2:1 is very good and will get you into any course (and I've said this, but I emphasise that you have to have a good application to stand out!). Having a 1st will put you at a slight advantage, in the sense that it will make you stand out more, but if you don't have a good application then that won't matter. That you found typos in your Personal Statement backs this up, you probably didn't give the time and effort your application would've needed to be successful, so lesson learnt there! :smile:

What is worth pointing out is that you can apply for as many courses in as many universities as you want at postgraduate level. You're not restricted, so if you want to apply for every single course UCL offered you could (though it'd be a little silly!).

I can't personally tell you where you are and where you aren't likely to get into, as I have no idea who you are, what you've done, what your applications are like, but what I can tell you is that this isn't something you should really even be thinking about. Focus upon putting effort into your application, make it stand out, and show you have a genuine interest and aptitude in what you're applying for, and that is what any university will be looking for. Don't bother about tiers, standards, prestige etc it's utterly pointless and futile, just concentrate on what you're putting into your application and apply wherever you want to go and can see yourself being happy.

If you want some help with your application, or with your Personal Statement, send me a PM and I'll give you some help. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Quite why some idiots on here think it's clever to poke fun at international students, I'm not sure. The table below may help you. A very rough indication of quality of the institution is the fees charged so have a look at this in conjunction with other research that you do. Bristol and Leeds are both good universities. UCL and LSE are the top institutions so your PS and references will have to be great. Good luck!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2010/feb/15/economics-postgraduate-masters-table1
Reply 33
Original post by notanumber
Quite why some idiots on here think it's clever to poke fun at international students, I'm not sure. The table below may help you. A very rough indication of quality of the institution is the fees charged so have a look at this in conjunction with other research that you do. Bristol and Leeds are both good universities. UCL and LSE are the top institutions so your PS and references will have to be great. Good luck!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2010/feb/15/economics-postgraduate-masters-table1

Thanks for the link! I've been looking for a list like this for a while online and haven't found one. And also, thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear that Leeds and Bristol are good schools. I am definitely looking for some less competitive schools to apply to so that I don't end up with 10 rejections next year but I also want to go to a good school, in the end. Thanks!
Reply 34
Just thought I'd quickly say that all of the advice about personal statements sounds good to me.

I applied to UCL for an MA for 2012 entry (for a completely different course) and have been given an offer. I put a lot of work into my personal statement. If you can, get a University tutor (or College professor) to double check it for you. All of my referees wanted to read everything I was submitting before they'd write my references (in US: letters of recommendation?) which meant I was quite motivated to make sure it was right and I probably went through around 4 or 5 drafts in the end. It goes without saying that showing an awareness of current research is a real bonus (and a necessity for some Unis) - so try and integrate that if you can - though I realise throwing in names of random scholars can sound dry or a little forced at times.

Anyway, most importantly be enthusiastic - show you love your subject and use the PS to demonstrate your ability to manipulate the English language as well as your dedication. IMO, you cannot work too hard on it - the PS is what sets candidates apart from each other and gives you a chance to shine. Remember unis like UCL and Oxbridge receive LOADS of applications, so you need to sell yourself! From the sounds of it you would be a very strong candidate, so don't be disheartened.

Best of luck - I too have fallen foul of a hurried application or two in my time :biggrin:
Reply 35
i'm surprised you were rejected. i was accepted at ucl for the very same program with 3.2 GPA, which as you know is VERY, VERY low. something about your app as the others have stated, must have put them off. don't give up!
Yes! I've heard amazing things about KCL's War Department and I would like to study development, which KCL does have a program in, so I figured I should at least try for KCL since the program is so great.

As for Durham and Warwick, they don't really have the programs I want, so I won't be applying to them. But I'll definitely be applying to KCL, LSE and Edinburgh. I feel like I have a chance to get into maybe one of these great schools because I have some unique internship experiences and I surpass all of their entry requirements (most of them ask for at least a 3.3 or 3.5 in American terms and I have a 3.5).

But I'm still looking for some "safety schools" so that I have some places to fall back on if I don't get into the elite schools.

But really, thanks everyone for everything thus far!

I went to Edinburgh for undergrad. It is definitely top tier and on par with KCL and LSE as well as being in probably the most beautiful city in the UK. It will probably be quite competitive so apply elsewhere as well.

Additionally, I would avoid refering to universities as "schools" on your application form......

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending