The Student Room Group

LTA1C - The Struggle for Identity in Modern Literature?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JackJack
I thought comparison was between extract and wider reading though, and not wider reading compared with wider reading?

Yeah, you're right, but when talking about typicality it's you're allowed to give examples.
Reply 21
Original post by JackJack
I'll try and read that definitely. Also, can I ask, how do you get 27 marks on the historical context bit? Is it good to mention like how readers of the time would respond differently to today, writer's intentions and alternative viewpoints?

Also, never knew we had to say about the extract not be reflective of the struggle for identity, can you give an example of how that's to be? So how something may not represent a struggle please.

With historical context you have to discuss how readers' opinions would be different now to how they were when the text was released. Writer's intentions are good to include too. For example, The Handmaid's Tale was published in 1982 after the USA and Britain both came under the leadership of conservatives, as feminists feared that their rights would be reversed. Readers at the time would therefore respond differently to readers now because ...

Well the question specifically asks:

How far is the extract similar to and different from your wider reading about the struggle for identity in modern literature?

So you have to argue that, on one hand the extract is reflective/similar to other texts about the struggle for identity, and on the other hand the extract is NOT reflective/similar.

For example, if the extract had a linear structure you could say it was reflective of other texts and then name a text with a linear structure. You could then counter that by referring to a text that doesn't have a linear structure.
Reply 22
Original post by Patrick04
With historical context you have to discuss how readers' opinions would be different now to how they were when the text was released. Writer's intentions are good to include too. For example, The Handmaid's Tale was published in 1982 after the USA and Britain both came under the leadership of conservatives, as feminists feared that their rights would be reversed. Readers at the time would therefore respond differently to readers now because ...

Well the question specifically asks:

How far is the extract similar to and different from your wider reading about the struggle for identity in modern literature?

So you have to argue that, on one hand the extract is reflective/similar to other texts about the struggle for identity, and on the other hand the extract is NOT reflective/similar.

For example, if the extract had a linear structure you could say it was reflective of other texts and then name a text with a linear structure. You could then counter that by referring to a text that doesn't have a linear structure.

How exactly do you get your marks for AO1?
Reply 23
Original post by JonnyTic
How exactly do you get your marks for AO1?

AO1 is basically assessing how articulate/coherent your argument is, so to gain marks you have to formulate an argument and write it coherently, with good punctuation, spelling and grammar. In addition, you gain marks in AO1 for correct use of terminology.
Reply 24
What's the best way to structure the poetry essays in which you get a statement/theme (not the single poem)?

Just an agree paragraph, disagree paragraph and conclusion?
I am also studying the color purple and top girls and streetcar but i am confused at finding quotes for sexuality because in these texts i cant find anything that stands out. i am also really struggling at remebering quotes if anyone can give me any tips on how many i need ect. my exam is on the 16th on friday :frown:
Original post by xmillyfisher
I am also studying the color purple and top girls and streetcar named desire but i am confused at finding quotes for sexuality because in these texts i cant find anything that stands out. i am also really struggling at remebering quotes if anyone can give me any tips on how many i need ect. my exam is on the 16th on friday :frown: also i only have still i rise as a poem and refugee blues
knkn
Reply 27
I have the resit on 16th may for LITA1C, and I just wanted some advice on whether people would integrate WR or do it separately as my I have two teachers and one said separate and the other said integrate, sooo confused!
I would integrate it into you argument but do it at different parts of your essay, don't just chuck all your wider reading in all at once and don't 'shoe horn' your WR it has to be relevant.

Just wondering, what do you think will come up for Section A in terms of theme and do you know what key contexts we need to know? As AO4 is scaring me the most..

Erm, make sure you have prose poetry and drama for each struggle with author, date it was written (and if poetry what collection it's from). It's also a good idea to know what themes run in your WR texts as a whole e.g. prominent themes in Too Black, Too Strong by Benjamin Zephaniah (2001) are: politics, national identity, race, self-knowledge, cultural diversity, ethnicity and class.

Hope that made sense x
I am doing this for Literature too and I hate it! It's not impossible or anything I just find that I rely too much on getting an easy text. Finding links can either be really easy or really hard depending on that... We did last years's paper as a mock and it was an absolute horror, we were taught lots of feminism, gay rights and civil rights as context and last year's paper was Bloody Sunday :/ Of course we could have just said how the struggle was similar to feminism and civil rights etc. but our teacher didn't teach us that until afterwards... I think I'm ok for that now but I'm most worried about this exam over all my others, simply because section A can be very difficult. If it's something on civil rights or feminism, I'll be flying, if it's something totally different I'll be stuffed.

I just hate how 27/45 marks are for context, it becomes more like history to me :/ We had a couple of lessons on that though and I should be fine, like I say it just really depends on the text we get to link on... I've got wider reading quotes from a range of sources - The Handmaid's Tale, The Help, The Great Gatsby, Death Of A Salesman, Streetcar Named Desire, Top Girls, 1984, Angels In America and Things Fall Apart as well as Auden's poetry - so I should be fine but I also find it hard sometimes to link the text to all three genres -_- Section B is a lot easier for me, we're doing Feminine Gospels which has some great poems in which are fairly easy to understand one you get head around it.

Basically argh this exam. Can't wait for it be over quite frankly, I just want at least a C although my target is a B...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
I'm also sitting this exam on Friday the 16th of May, and I seem to feel okay with section A, although I am dreading section b.
Whilst knowing most of the poems I still fail to understand loud, history, tall, the long queen and the laughter of stafford girls high!
What theme do you think we could be asked about?
I'n most worried for section A purely because I have never done history, the whole time I've been at school & it's a good send I do sociology else I wouldn't a clue on feminism .. So yeah if it's on gender I'll be fine and race anything else and in stuffed. I'm struggling on it mostly because I can't remember quotes and our teachers haven't prepared us very well and only just told us to find quotes. And it's just way too late, someone give me some confidence

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arm1297
I'm also sitting this exam on Friday the 16th of May, and I seem to feel okay with section A, although I am dreading section b.
Whilst knowing most of the poems I still fail to understand loud, history, tall, the long queen and the laughter of stafford girls high!
What theme do you think we could be asked about?

We did last year's paper for our mock and the theme was love, so it probably won't be that :tongue: it's really hard to guess what might come up, as this is only the second year of FG being on the spec (it was The World's Wife before). There are the Jan and May papers from 2013 available, I don't know what the January one was as we did the May one for our mock iirc. I'm hoping for something about history or feminism, they're fairly easy themes for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by liamlovesolly
We did last year's paper for our mock and the theme was love, so it probably won't be that :tongue: it's really hard to guess what might come up, as this is only the second year of FG being on the spec (it was The World's Wife before). There are the Jan and May papers from 2013 available, I don't know what the January one was as we did the May one for our mock iirc. I'm hoping for something about history or feminism, they're fairly easy themes for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hope its motherhood or personal vs political.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys, is anyone doing the owen sheers question? Most people seem to be Doing feminism? I am resitting and am just hoping for better text for sections a than last years paper!! I would say do a sandwich structure, so open with text then bring in wider reading but then make sure you relate back to the text and the question! And drop in context just as much as you can really :smile: good luck guys!!!
So how did it go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did it go guys? What wider reading links did you make with the Warsaw extract? Did you talk about context at all? I didn't. For Maya Angelou poetry I did the anger question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by icharliee
How did it go guys? What wider reading links did you make with the Warsaw extract? Did you talk about context at all? I didn't. For Maya Angelou poetry I did the anger question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I linked the diary form with A Place to Rest by Bobby Sands which was written whilst being in jail so is similar, All My Sons by Arthur Miller due to the pride of the doctor in the extract and Trainspotting as I did a link with the "ocean of blood" and dialect was a difference
I did a link with Harvey Milk speech for a collective grouping struggle, Angels in America because of the men with HIV and AIDS status just waiting to die in the epidemic similar to Mary Berg, and for poetry I used W.H Auden Funeral blues and linked how time is meaningless to him with how time moves so slowly for her. And I also used to diary form to link it to The Handmaid's Tale

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by icharliee
I did a link with Harvey Milk speech for a collective grouping struggle, Angels in America because of the men with HIV and AIDS status just waiting to die in the epidemic similar to Mary Berg, and for poetry I used W.H Auden Funeral blues and linked how time is meaningless to him with how time moves so slowly for her. And I also used to diary form to link it to The Handmaid's Tale

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mentioned bobby sands too and Anne Frank. I used 1984 for the blunt hopeless descriptions of the deaths child of the divide for effect of conflict on young children and exposure by Wilfred owen for the sense of nothing happening being worse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending