The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Zottula
They're posted when people drop out of rooms. So it depends. Usually there are a few vacancies after the allocations process. There will also be more during the year as people drop out but there's no guarantee that there will be anything suitable :dontknow:.

Details of available rooms are posted here - http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/accommodation/currentstudents/livinginhalls/currenthallsvacancies

It also tells you which email address to use to apply for a vacancy. On the site it says to check the vacancies page from September. It's worth checking regularly as it is updated daily.

Thanks, I'll be checking that religiously over the next few days haha. Is the allocation process still going on or is it done now?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 581
Original post by Frankster
Just wondering guys - what do you do if you lived in London before going to Imperial and after ur first year you want to carry on living near Imperial but not with your parents? I have a feeling I'm going to face that situation :s-smilie: How do you manage with cost of housing after ur first year if you choose to live with mates?

I live in London too :smile:

Unfortunately I'm probably gonna have to live with my parents every year :frown:
It's gonna be such a **** uni experience ;(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Probably a really stupid question, but do rooms in the lower ground/basement floors have windows? (I'm in Southside if that makes a difference)
Reply 583
Original post by Small Town Girl
Probably a really stupid question, but do rooms in the lower ground/basement floors have windows? (I'm in Southside if that makes a difference)

Yes they do.
How far away do non-first years tend to live away from the campus?
Reply 585
Original post by PrinceyJ
How far away do non-first years tend to live away from the campus?

A lot of students live in Hammersmith, which is about 2.5 - 3 miles away. How long it takes to get to college will depend on the mode of transport chosen and how much traffic there is. But for a lot of people it's about 20 - 30 minutes away.

Some people stay closer but it's more expensive.
Original post by Zottula
A lot of students live in Hammersmith, which is about 2.5 - 3 miles away. How long it takes to get to college will depend on the mode of transport chosen and how much traffic there is. But for a lot of people it's about 20 - 30 minutes away.

Some people stay closer but it's more expensive.

Are the private rent prices in line with those of the halls?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 587
Original post by PrinceyJ
Are the private rent prices in line with those of the halls?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It really depends on which hall you were in and then the standard of accommodation you go for in 2nd year. Some people manage to get an excellent price, others so not so much. Depends on how far in you are prepared to travel and what sort of area you are prepared to live in.

Imperial has a rough guide on their website for zones 1 & 2:

Bedsits £130.00 + per week
Studio Flats £200.00 + per week
1 Bedroom £240.00 + per week
2 Bedroom £295.00 + per week
3 Bedroom £350.00 + per week
4 Bedroom £465.00 + per week
5 Bedroom £520.00 + per week
These prices are approximate and are based on rentals during the year 2009/2010.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 588
Original post by Zottula
It really depends on which hall you were in and then the standard of accommodation you go for in 2nd year. Some people manage to get an excellent price, others so not so much. Depends on how far in you are prepared to travel and what sort of area you are prepared to live in.

Imperial has a rough guide on their website for zones 1 & 2:

Bedsits £130.00 + per week
Studio Flats £200.00 + per week
1 Bedroom £240.00 + per week
2 Bedroom £295.00 + per week
3 Bedroom £350.00 + per week
4 Bedroom £465.00 + per week
5 Bedroom £520.00 + per week
These prices are approximate and are based on rentals during the year 2009/2010.

Yeah those were 2009/2010, add about 50 to each of those values for this year.
Reply 589
Original post by Chewyy
Yeah those were 2009/2010, add about 50 to each of those values for this year.

Yeah they should update that section on the website.
Hello. I have some (stupid) questions to ask you.. In april, for 3 months, i'll be in a intership at the Imperial College, and i'd like to know if I can have a room in a Hall, or is it reserved to students ? And what would be the minimum price ? Thank you
Reply 591
Original post by Gabriel.fr
Hello. I have some (stupid) questions to ask you.. In april, for 3 months, i'll be in a intership at the Imperial College, and i'd like to know if I can have a room in a Hall, or is it reserved to students ? And what would be the minimum price ? Thank you

I know that Imperial rent out halls accommodation over Summer from June to September, but I don't think there are rooms in April for non-students in halls as halls are for students. It may be worth contacting [email protected] to see what options are available to you, and if Imperial can't provide anything for you, they will be able to advise you on where you can find a room for 3 months.
Reply 592
Can a current student tell me whether there's a cap on the Internet connection?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
Reply 593
Original post by seohyun
Can a current student tell me whether there's a cap on the Internet connection?

Yes, it's either 5GB or 10GB per 24 hours (on a rolling basis). No torrenting allowed either.
Reply 594
How likely are you to get your first choice accommodation? Hoping for something in Eastside (preferably Weeks!).
Reply 595
Original post by scherzi
Yes, it's either 5GB or 10GB per 24 hours (on a rolling basis). No torrenting allowed either.

What does it depend on (whether it's 5 or 10GB)?

Reply 596
Original post by CD315
How likely are you to get your first choice accommodation? Hoping for something in Eastside (preferably Weeks!).

You only get to put forward five equal choices, in no particular order. Usually people get one of their five choices, but it can be impossible to pick five in the first place that you'd be completely happy with.

Original post by seohyun
What does it depend on (whether it's 5 or 10GB)?

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ict/services/networks/excessivebandwidthusage

Dunno how up to date this is though. When I said 5 or 10gb, it's one of the two - not sure which.
Reply 597
Original post by scherzi
You only get to put forward five equal choices, in no particular order. Usually people get one of their five choices, but it can be impossible to pick five in the first place that you'd be completely happy with.

Ok thanks.

Can you have seperate choices within Eastside and the like? So for example, choose Weeks and Wilkinson as 2 seperate choices?
Reply 598
Original post by CD315
Ok thanks.

Can you have seperate choices within Eastside and the like? So for example, choose Weeks and Wilkinson as 2 seperate choices?

If I remember correctly, you can't choose a specific hall within Eastside (same probably goes for Evelyn Gardens). If you want to differentiate between Weeks and Wilkinson, you'd have to try to do it by price band. But another annoyance is that you can't do something like, choose two singles, or two doubles, in the same halls - even if they're differentiated by price band or whether they're ensuite. You can choose one single and one double within the same halls though.
Reply 599
Original post by CD315
Ok thanks.

Well technically Weeks isn't part of Eastside. In the past you have always been able to select Weeks individually, but for the Eastside and Southside halls you can't select individual halls. So you can't select Gabor and Wilkinson separately for example. Of course it's always possible that the form will change.

This is the first year that Weeks has been linked to Wilkinson Hall (due to the closure of Garden Hall), so I don't know whether this has changed or not on the application form. It's likely that you could still pick Weeks separately. On the Halls of Residence page on the website Weeks is still listed separately to Eastside.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending