The Student Room Group

Who here uses credit cards these days?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Mirey
From the capital one website:
Ask for a credit limit increase
We review our customers' accounts regularly and will write to you to let you know if you're eligible for an increase to your limit. Please don't call our contact centre to ask for an increase, as our advisors aren't able to grant one and have no control over the timing and outcome of reviews.

What normally works wonders with any kind of service provider is calling to tell them you want to quit :smile: I've no idea how capital one work, but i dare say you'll be put through to someone who can make decisions very quickly. They might not grant you a bigger limit, but at least you were not told to f-off by the fine print!
Reply 61
Original post by tehFrance
Like Herr said this card is buy invitation only so I highly doubt we'll be getting invites any time soon... it is like the Harrods Rewards from AMEX, invitation only (although I swear I should qualify by now as I am in the Gold Tier)... I guess AMEX just hate me in this country :sad:

But yeah the AMEX Centurion is for the best of the best... aka Billionaires.

Nah you don't need to be a billionaire to have a Centurion...... just have to spend like one :biggrin:

Believe it or not, I used to have a regular Gold AMEX in UK and despite a fairly high paying City job and plenty of "extra" income on the side, that AMEX kept getting declined, in fact in the 11 months I had it I had zero successful transactions, as they somewhat believed I had no ability to pay.... finally on the 11th month I phoned them up and told them to cancel it. They tried for a good 9 months to get me back as a customer including sending 2 £300 off vouchers for BA flights..... vouchers got sold of course :biggrin: But I refused to get sign up for an AMEX in UK ever since.

Original post by cl_steele
its a serious pain the lack of shops that take it, living in a smaller rual town makes it harder to take advantage of the reward points without having to travel to London but hey ho. i must say i like your style there though, feel free to add me on to it ... the picture of just laying down the black beauty is something one rather relishes :tongue:
aye ive heard of this JP Morgan card, looks very pretty i must say :colone: i believe the rarest of the rare is the coutts world card though, i could be wrong, but it only has a few members in the world ... one day i will have to get one :colone:

Sometimes some of the smaller shops will take the AMEX, but you have to spend a bigger amount or they will take it reluctantly.

Generally I don't show that card to anyone and most normal shops that would accept an AMEX have staff that has no clue what it is anyway unless you go to some high end retail outlets. In fact even my gf didn't know I had one until very recently and the only reason she know it exist is because we were flying to Bergen on a "discount" Swiss Air flight and I showed it to the check-in and got a free upgrade and access to the lounge.... she got curious what that card was I told her it is a card to show that you're an underworld kingpin :biggrin: too bad she googled it up and found out anyway LOL.

Coutts cards are indeed rare these days, but not really due to exclusivity, the main reason for it is the kind of clients they used to attract have since gone elsewhere due to it being owned by RBS and I was told by someone who used to work with Coutts that it wasn't that the card wasn't that uncommon before the credit crunch, but after the fiasco with RBS many people closed their accounts with Coutts, anyway I don't think I would want one of these, I think this card is probably the biggest "hey look at me, I'm a pompous ****" tool.

Original post by tehforum
damn

what kind of money passes through the Centurion?

I have no idea what kind of money goes into that card.... my dad has it as a "perk" of the job. Presumably it must be a lot as he "lives out of a suitcase" :biggrin:
Reply 62
You should continue to use your credit card responsibly (paying it off every month at 0%) for the following reasons:
- It provides statutory protection if you are scammed online.
- It improves your credit score.
Reply 63
Original post by Arekkusu
You should continue to use your credit card responsibly (paying it off every month at 0%) for the following reasons:
- It provides statutory protection if you are scammed online.
- It improves your credit score.

Hehehehe.... believe it or not, when you do this you won't have the "perfect" score to gain higher value credit at the lowest possible price :biggrin:

Banks will hate you for sure :biggrin:
Reply 64
Original post by Herr
Hehehehe.... believe it or not, when you do this you won't have the "perfect" score to gain higher value credit at the lowest possible price :biggrin:

Is that true? I assume in that case you're supposed to act like a mug and pay only the minimum every month?
Original post by Herr
Nah you don't need to be a billionaire to have a Centurion...... just have to spend like one :biggrin:

Believe it or not, I used to have a regular Gold AMEX in UK and despite a fairly high paying City job and plenty of "extra" income on the side, that AMEX kept getting declined, in fact in the 11 months I had it I had zero successful transactions, as they somewhat believed I had no ability to pay.... finally on the 11th month I phoned them up and told them to cancel it. They tried for a good 9 months to get me back as a customer including sending 2 £300 off vouchers for BA flights..... vouchers got sold of course :biggrin: But I refused to get sign up for an AMEX in UK ever since.

I wish I could get one!!

Tbh AMEX in the UK are crap, I mean I have a US and a Swiss AMEX so why the hell can I not get a UK AMEX? it is beyond me how stupid they are.
Original post by Herr

Well yes and no. They'll hate you because they don't make any money from you, but it still helps your credit rating afaik and it helps tremendously when getting a mortgage. The banks want you to be able to pay on time, and if they see that you've paid your credit card bills on time, they're more likely to lend

Original post by Arekkusu
Is that true? I assume in that case you're supposed to act like a mug and pay only the minimum every month?

AFAIK, they prefer the set payment people. The minimum implies that you can't pay, paying in full means they don't make any money from you whereas if you pay a set price, they make some money from you and they know you're a good bet
I wish I could get one!!

Tbh AMEX in the UK are crap, I mean I have a US and a Swiss AMEX so why the hell can I not get a UK AMEX? it is beyond me how stupid they are.

Just wondering, when you apply for cards in other countries, do you not need a local address? Or just an address that can be traced back, somewhere on the globe?
Original post by de_monies
Just wondering, when you apply for cards in other countries, do you not need a local address? Or just an address that can be traced back, somewhere on the globe?

I have localised addresses (my dad owns an apartment in NY and a House in Geneva).

The US AMEX was easy to get despite me not having an SSN but an ITIN but as I qualified and pay it off, I don't think they gave a crap.
I have a Student Credit Card with £1000 limit. I don't use it often... I've used it in the past to buy clothes online when I've bought the same item in two sizes, when I know I can afford to pay off everything if I were to keep one of each thing, but not with the duplicates. Then, once I have returned them, I pay off the balance, so it is paid off before the end of each month. This isn't the reason I actually got the card, but I figure given I'm using it responsibly, and only buy what I know I can afford to pay off again by the time my next week's budget comes in, at the latest, then it is okay. I also have it in case I were to find myself stuck somewhere without petrol, or needed to book myself into a hotel for the night unexpectedly because I got stranded somewhere, or other emergency situations. So yes, I do use a credit card, I just don't use it very often.
Reply 70
I have so many as I have one for France/Eurozone, Switzerland, UK and US use.

i used my mastercard in the eurozone, uk and us, and it works fine?
Original post by Voleva
i used my mastercard in the eurozone, uk and us, and it works fine?

Yeah I prefer to have my Credit Cards in the currency that I am spending it in... it is easier for me.
Reply 72
Yeah I prefer to have my Credit Cards in the currency that I am spending it in... it is easier for me.

oh i see
Reply 73

would i be right in assuming this is due to the currency conversion fees charged when using say a british card for use in paying for something in Euros or Dollars or just simple conveniance?
would i be right in assuming this is due to the currency conversion fees charged when using say a british card for use in paying for something in Euros or Dollars or just simple conveniance?

Both really, I hate paying extra charges that I don't have to pay as I have bank accounts in France (Euro), Switzerland (CHF), UK (GBP) and the US (Dollar) and all the cards are connected to the relevant account and as I only use the cards in the countries where the currency corresponds with the currency on the card it is just easier to do things.
Reply 75
Both really, I hate paying extra charges that I don't have to pay as I have bank accounts in France (Euro), Switzerland (CHF), UK (GBP) and the US (Dollar) and all the cards are connected to the relevant account and as I only use the cards in the countries where the currency corresponds with the currency on the card it is just easier to do things.

ah to true, may i ask how you hold accounts in all these countries as dont you need to be a resident to qualify or am i mistaken?
ah to true, may i ask how you hold accounts in all these countries as dont you need to be a resident to qualify or am i mistaken?

France I am a Citizen, Switzerland I have an account (very recently in fact, two weeks old) no need to be a resident just have an address, UK I have a student account as I live here for university and the US I was formerly a resident and still have an address over there as well as tax numbers.
Reply 77
France I am a Citizen, Switzerland I have an account (very recently in fact, two weeks old) no need to be a resident just have an address, UK I have a student account as I live here for university and the US I was formerly a resident and still have an address over there as well as tax numbers.

taking international student to a whole new level here friend :P
taking international student to a whole new level here friend :P

I'm not an international student... my mother is English :wink:

I am just lucky that my father created and manages a successful collection of businesses.
Reply 79
I dont have a credit card and would advise against it to the vast majority of student who live off: grant + loan + bursary.

A debit card with security code and card No. authorisation is no less safe than a credit card... In any case someone will have to know some information you divulged....

What's the point in having a £500 credit limit and paying the balance off every month? Might as well have a debit card. If your aim is to increase your credit score. Take out a phone contract?

Meh,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending