The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Is Newcastle awesome?

Everyone keeps telling me how awesome Newcastle is as a city.

Tell me TSR, what have been your most awesome memories/experiences of Newcastle?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nearly breaking a rib attempting to pole-dance in Powerhouse.
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Ooooh so many..... most involve powerhouse I think that says something about me
- one of my male friends getting a hickey from a random guy in powerhouse
- my (male) flatmate coming to powerhouse dressed as a sailor. He got called beautiful, hit on by about 5 different guys and tried to pretend he was my boyfriend. At which point the guy said "mate, she's clearly not your girlfriend, she walks like a lesbian"
- same flatmate came to an event dressed as Rambo, plastic gun from Poundland included. Got to Tiger Tiger and this random girl started dancing with him then grabbed the gun and went BALLISTIC. Started screaming at him "Get on the floor! Get on the ****ING FLOOR!". Sounds scary but it was hilarious for the rest of us.
- two of my friends getting with each other in powerhouse (boy-girl). The rest of us proceeded to act in an incredibly mature way by trying to "sneak up" on them to take photos and then run away laughing hysterically
- winning a hat shaped like a christmas pudding. In powerhouse, needless to say. I still have it somewhere.
- Going out on Halloween and realising 75% of the girls are just wearing their underwear. On the same night we walked past a... er... "vertically challenged" lady dressed as a witch. My friend proceeded to say, really loudly, "Oh look!! A teeny tiny witch!!". Then realised how loud she'd said it and screamed "RUNN!!" at the top of her voice. And very much failed to run....
- countless portions of cheesy chips with garlic sauce from Munchies. And in-depth drunk conversations about life...
- a friend getting with a guy dressed up as Mario in Flares. Needless to say we have been taking the piss ever since...
Original post by adsyrah
Nearly breaking a rib attempting to pole-dance in Powerhouse.

I love Powerhouse, probably even enough to enjoy breaking my bones there.
Reply 4
Ok mine aren't going to be about clubbing because those are not my favourite memories.

- The friendly Geordies. When I first arrived I went to M+S to get a pillow one of the shop assistants was like 'aw pet are you a student? Did you just move here?'. She was really nice and chatted to me for a while and I felt really welcome in the city. The taxi drivers are normally lovely too.

- Going to the arts + crafts market at Quayside, and the Christmas market at monument.

- The all night moviathons at the Tyneside Cinema. This cinema is awesome, it's one of the oldest surviving newsreel theatres in the UK. They let you take beer into the cinema! And they sell alcoholic milkshakes in the bar :smile:

- Ok not really 'Newcastle' but still - the beautiful Northumberland countryside. Hadrian's Wall, Kielder Lake and Park, Holy Island, Alnmouth beach.

- The John Milton exhibition at the Laing art gallery which was amazing and inspired my dissertation. Also the shop at the Baltic art gallery is really cool.

- Evolution festival was a lot of fun.

- Annie Mac at Digital was pretty awesome (does this count as clubbing? ooh I'm a hypocrite!).

- Cycling to the seaside (Tynemouth) from my house was really fun. There are cycle paths for almost the whole route and Tynemouth is so nice.

- There are so many nice cafes in Newcastle. Spent quite a few hours playing scrabble/battleship in Heaton Perk :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by meow444
x

I can't tell you how excited you've made me about moving to NCL in September!

Tyneside Cinema will be my second home in the city :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by adsyrah
I can't tell you how excited you've made me about moving to NCL in September!

Tyneside Cinema will be my second home in the city :biggrin:

:smile: I'm glad!
Lots of people don't even know about the Tyneside. Everyone goes to the Empire at the Gate.
Reply 7
Original post by Molokai
Ooooh so many..... most involve powerhouse I think that says something about me
- one of my male friends getting a hickey from a random guy in powerhouse
- my (male) flatmate coming to powerhouse dressed as a sailor. He got called beautiful, hit on by about 5 different guys and tried to pretend he was my boyfriend. At which point the guy said "mate, she's clearly not your girlfriend, she walks like a lesbian"
- same flatmate came to an event dressed as Rambo, plastic gun from Poundland included. Got to Tiger Tiger and this random girl started dancing with him then grabbed the gun and went BALLISTIC. Started screaming at him "Get on the floor! Get on the ****ING FLOOR!". Sounds scary but it was hilarious for the rest of us.
- two of my friends getting with each other in powerhouse (boy-girl). The rest of us proceeded to act in an incredibly mature way by trying to "sneak up" on them to take photos and then run away laughing hysterically
- winning a hat shaped like a christmas pudding. In powerhouse, needless to say. I still have it somewhere.
- Going out on Halloween and realising 75% of the girls are just wearing their underwear. On the same night we walked past a... er... "vertically challenged" lady dressed as a witch. My friend proceeded to say, really loudly, "Oh look!! A teeny tiny witch!!". Then realised how loud she'd said it and screamed "RUNN!!" at the top of her voice. And very much failed to run....
- countless portions of cheesy chips with garlic sauce from Munchies. And in-depth drunk conversations about life...
- a friend getting with a guy dressed up as Mario in Flares. Needless to say we have been taking the piss ever since...

Original post by meow444
Ok mine aren't going to be about clubbing because those are not my favourite memories.

- The friendly Geordies. When I first arrived I went to M+S to get a pillow one of the shop assistants was like 'aw pet are you a student? Did you just move here?'. She was really nice and chatted to me for a while and I felt really welcome in the city. The taxi drivers are normally lovely too.

- Going to the arts + crafts market at Quayside, and the Christmas market at monument.

- The all night moviathons at the Tyneside Cinema. This cinema is awesome, it's one of the oldest surviving newsreel theatres in the UK. They let you take beer into the cinema! And they sell alcoholic milkshakes in the bar :smile:

- Ok not really 'Newcastle' but still - the beautiful Northumberland countryside. Hadrian's Wall, Kielder Lake and Park, Holy Island, Alnmouth beach.

- The John Milton exhibition at the Laing art gallery which was amazing and inspired my dissertation. Also the shop at the Baltic art gallery is really cool.

- Evolution festival was a lot of fun.

- Annie Mac at Digital was pretty awesome (does this count as clubbing? ooh I'm a hypocrite!).

- Cycling to the seaside (Tynemouth) from my house was really fun. There are cycle paths for almost the whole route and Tynemouth is so nice.

- There are so many nice cafes in Newcastle. Spent quite a few hours playing scrabble/battleship in Heaton Perk :smile:

I am really looking forward to September when my course starts. Thank you guys for giving me some good ideas of what to do and what to expect.

Coming from a small town where there are no clubs, Newcastle sounds like it is going to be so different.

Any advice you could give to an over-excited pre-fresher!?
Reply 8
newcasfan0108pa_784726c.jpg
Reply 9
Original post by Steerforth

Coming from a small town where there are no clubs, Newcastle sounds like it is going to be so different.

Hehe yes it will be pretty different. LOADS of clubs.

My number one piece of advice would be not to worry if you don't like your flatmates. Just go introduce yourself to the other people in your halls or round uni and you will meet lots of nice people.

Also, join a club or society from day one.

Hope you enjoy your time here :smile:

Lol Cumquat
Reply 10
Original post by Steerforth
I am really looking forward to September when my course starts. Thank you guys for giving me some good ideas of what to do and what to expect.

I don't want to be patronising, but pace yourself. don't be the person that ends up in a&e.

If you don't like your flatmates don't fret - there are plenty of people in the same boat as you

Get your fresher's wristband and take advantage of it- they aren't cheap but they are worth it. And make sure you get some daytime events in as well, they're great fun and a great way of actually meeting people (much as I enjoy clubbing, you tend to not remember meeting people...)
Reply 11
It's awesome how you can pretty much get between any 2 points and the taxi will be no more than £3-4. It's great.
Reply 12
Original post by Cumquat
newcasfan0108pa_784726c.jpg

Ha this is too funny, he's my uncle!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 13
I was wondering if anyone knew what the weekly/ monthly accomodation was at Newcastle University? I've tried speaking to other students but haven't got much information :L...hoping to go to the open day and find out though :smile: Definintely want to study medicine at Newcastle University :smile:
Went to beyond and the fire alarm went off, it took awhile for everyone to realise it wasn't part of the song and then the place got evacuated lol
Reply 15
Newcastle is ****ing brilliant! First Year was easily one of the best years of my life and the good experiences are too many to list. Eagerly awaiting Second Year...

Just go.
Reply 16
Original post by Azog 150
Newcastle is ****ing brilliant! First Year was easily one of the best years of my life and the good experiences are too many to list. Eagerly awaiting Second Year...

Just go.

Thanks, I am most certainly coming in September - accepted my unconditional.
Reply 17
Ill see you in September!
whut.jpg

taken just outside of the Gate. Hope you have fun!

Also, stay away from Cowgate, Meadowell and Lemington. Bad things happen there.
Reply 19
You'll absolutely love it here! I've lived here all 18 years of my life and refused to go to university anywhere else, it has everything you could possibly need, we're really friendly up here, i know a great deal of people who have lived all over the UK and said they'd never leave Newcastle. I hope you enjoy your time up here!
FYI contrary to what people say, we don't all say "wey aye man bonny lass" all the time ..just maybe very occasionally :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending