The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Lowering your current offer

I remember a while back when I started sixth form teachers told us that by doing a YASS course there was a possibility of getting out university grades lower.

I didn't think much of it but just yesterday a friend of mine told me he had an offer of AAB which was then lowered to BBB because he completed a related YASS undergraduate course?

Is this true!?

I'm going to ring up the department to ask about this
Reply 1
Original post by YB101
I remember a while back when I started sixth form teachers told us that by doing a YASS course there was a possibility of getting out university grades lower.

I didn't think much of it but just yesterday a friend of mine told me he had an offer of AAB which was then lowered to BBB because he completed a related YASS undergraduate course?

Is this true!?

I'm going to ring up the department to ask about this

YASS is the Open University programme, right? I doubt Manchester would just lower their offers because you did a scheme like that, after all, you still get people with A*A*A* or whatever getting rejected because they don't meet the correct requirements. However, if you provided good reasons (and may mitigation for any bad exam results) then they might take it in to consideration.

If you thought that Manchester's offer was too high, then it could've been for several reasons. They may want to push you to achieve higher grades, or it may have been that the standard of applicants was so high and there were so may of them, that they gave lots of people really competitive offers, to make sure that they don't miss our. There are a few other reasons as well, though.

What is the degree and the offer?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Strangey
YASS is the Open University programme, right? I doubt Manchester would just lower their offers because you did a scheme like that, after all, you still get people with A*A*A* or whatever getting rejected because they don't meet the correct requirements. However, if you provided good reasons (and may mitigation for any bad exam results) then they might take it in to consideration.

If you thought that Manchester's offer was too high, then it could've been for several reasons. They may want to push you to achieve higher grades, or it may have been that the standard of applicants was so high and there were so may of them, that they gave lots of people really competitive offers, to make sure that they don't miss our. There are a few other reasons as well, though.

What is the degree and the offer?

I'm pushing as hard as I can but I can't handle the work load. I'm literally on the verge of a breakdown! I've just called them up and they said If i was to miss an offer they would consider me based on my application and interview in which I received a letter saying that I had a good interview.
The course is Biomedical Science and the offer was AAB. I know the course is ridiculously oversubscribed but I know people who have been given ABB offers even though in the interview they said most people would be offered AAA or AAB offers.

Anyway, i sound like i'm complaining so I guess I better just push on with the work :smile: Thanks anyways!
Reply 3
Original post by YB101
I'm pushing as hard as I can but I can't handle the work load. I'm literally on the verge of a breakdown! I've just called them up and they said If i was to miss an offer they would consider me based on my application and interview in which I received a letter saying that I had a good interview.
The course is Biomedical Science and the offer was AAB. I know the course is ridiculously oversubscribed but I know people who have been given ABB offers even though in the interview they said most people would be offered AAA or AAB offers.

Unfortunately that's the luck of the draw, not much you can do about your offer I'm afraid. Rather than making things worse with more exams (which they probably won't take in to consideration anyway) I'd focus on meeting the offer. As always, make sure you've got some clearing choices thought through, just in case - it never hurts to be prepared, and a bit of planning might make all the difference!

Anyway, i sound like i'm complaining so I guess I better just push on with the work :smile: Thanks anyways!

That's the best thing to do! Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending