The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
shinytoy
aaah!

psychometrics!im gonna die!!

i did a mock one with baker tilly, and even tho i have alevels in math phy chem art and eng at AAABB and im studying law i got 85% in verbal and 25% in math. i need heeeeellllp and tippssss!!#

cos i got one comin up for pwc

You can buy books on psychometric testing which you use to practice with.

According to my brother who is going to do a summer internship with PwC, some of them are pretty tough and not really of a style that you can cram for; and he is in his 3rd year of a 4 year MMaths degree course - he was competing with graduates so I presume you will only be competing with your peer group so it might be a bit easier for you.

Good luck, shinytoy. :smile:
Reply 2
the one i did for baker tilly was an actual grad recruitment one and was damn hard. i only did good in the verbal one cos it was about law of charities and i had studied it for my sem 1 exam. they did give a massive long bookllet to read before the test about the law of charities but it too k ages i dont know how people can do it.

the math one was very hard and i died
My view is, with the pyschometrics- there's not much you can do to "revise" in a way?

I mean, i did one for Deloitte and I thought I did RUBBISH. I only just had time to finish the business one and I didn't even complete the Maths test! But I passed anyway!

I know this is probably not very helpful but I suppose in the end, just do your best.

Good luck! :smile:
Practice. Practice. Practice. There is no other way to improve your score - and even then, it won't improve by that much.
Reply 5
anyone know any good sites i can find some on?

the baker tilly math paper seemed to require a knowledge of financial trend calculation for growth which i had no idea cos im a law student. i think a non business student might have struggled with the charities paper. and baker tilly isnt even a big 4

anyone done an internship VR or math paper? was it hard?
shinytoy
anyone know any good sites i can find some on?

the baker tilly math paper seemed to require a knowledge of financial trend calculation for growth which i had no idea cos im a law student. i think a non business student might have struggled with the charities paper. and baker tilly isnt even a big 4

anyone done an internship VR or math paper? was it hard?

SHL do 'ok' tests. Not hard enough in my opinion though.

The numeracy papers only require numeracy. If you're getting blinded by 'terminology', it is probably because you don't understand concepts of arthimetic (percentages, percentage difference, indexes etc.)
Reply 7
I did psychometric tests for PwC for the Gap year scheme and they were verbal, numerical and diagrammatic - not really a problem with either but not sure if they are similar to graduate ones...
Read the questions and information given properly! Also, don't worry about the time too much because you will lose concentration.

I agree with Pres Ben, not much you can really do to revise.
Reply 9
President_Ben
SHL do 'ok' tests. Not hard enough in my opinion though.

The numeracy papers only require numeracy. If you're getting blinded by 'terminology', it is probably because you don't understand concepts of arthimetic (percentages, percentage difference, indexes etc.)

i do, i have A levels maths and physics at B and A.
i just found the Baker Tilly grad paper hard cos it required knowledge of financial formulae to calculate trends.

please can anyone find any good sites i can do some on?
i cant find any free ones.

also anyone had internships with PwC what tests do they do? i had 2 interviews and VR and math papers with baker tilly
Already mentioned SHL. PWC use very standard tests.

And A levels don't teach you stuff on numeracy. That or you, for whatever reason, can't connect the numeracy concepts to manipulate the data and get blinded by the terminology. Simple as that...
Reply 11
what is SHL?

i dont know, i think having A level math grade B is numeracy!
and i passed modules in statistics, so i am used to them.
SHL direct. Use google...
To be honest, I reckon there wasn't anything that I've learnt in A level Maths that I could have used in the tests.

The usual addition/subtraction/percentage change deal of course but lucky for us, no differentiation in sight! :biggrin:
Reply 14
pleeeeese someone heeeeeelllp me.

i took some papers - general aptitude tests in a psychometric workshop tonight.

i got:

Verbal: 94%
Mathematical: 35%
Diagramatic reasoning: 55%

please how can i improve my mathematical reasoning? do i need to just practise %ages? any any ANY help vv welcoem

also do PwC ask you to do diagramatics? this was my 1st one
Just practice... frankly, if you're that... 'bad' at them - maybe numerical work just plainly isn't for you? :confused:
When I did my RAF selection I got some psychometric test booklets off amazon that were quite good.
shinytoy
pleeeeese someone heeeeeelllp me.

i took some papers - general aptitude tests in a psychometric workshop tonight.

i got:

Verbal: 94%
Mathematical: 35%
Diagramatic reasoning: 55%

please how can i improve my mathematical reasoning? do i need to just practise %ages? any any ANY help vv welcoem

also do PwC ask you to do diagramatics? this was my 1st one

I did a diagrammatic one at PWC, and it was really hard! They give you back your test marks and I got in the top 3% in the numerical one but only about average in the diagrammatic one. One of the current graduates there said it was really weird giving you that kind of test because while you need to be numerate, the diagram thing doesn't exactly come up in everyday business life!! I still got the internship though, but I think the diagrammatic test was the weakest part of my application.
Reply 18
Psychometric tests are designed to see how you think on your feet not how hard you have revised for them; theres a couple of things you can do though;

1) Dont rush to finish the questions, your not 'supposed' to finish them all and it doesnt really matter if you dont.

2) Check out some of the american SAT tests; theyre not quite the same but they do sort of train your mind to think analytically.

To be honest though, you best bet is just to do them and not worry about it. i cant remember exactly what you need to get through them but i dont think itss anything astronomically high.
Reply 19
pleaasaaseeee heeeelp i neeeed to do the Pwc one online within 5 days. is it hard? any tips? what if i need a break to visit the whizzer?

can i revise? how many questions? is it makred out of how many i do or how many i get right of the total?

Latest

Trending

Trending