Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Your honest view of shy/non-confident people?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheIronist)
    By definition, being shy will mean being less confident in public and being more easily intimated by social relations. So your argument is basically circular. A shy person is "better" (and I don't even know what that might mean) than a non-shy person because the non-shy person is not shy.
    i don't get how a person can be less confident in public. as said, what use is such a person?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends. What "use" do other people have?
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    They're still probably more use than some narrow minded person who cannot see things from other people's points of view.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahchan)
    Loool that's true!! (Same for me too) btw what degree are you doing?
    Philosophy... It is interesting but at the same time... Fun to wind up non-philosopher friends with though! you?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S A510e
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jo d)
    I'm just citing my opinion. I don't see why non-confident people should be tolerated.
    You sound like an awful, awful person...
    • 147 followers

ReputationRep:
    I feel sorry for them :yy:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jo d)
    how am I being boring? I simply don't care about them.

If they're intimidated by others, whose fault is it? It's their own, not the other person's.
    You do know intimidating can mean different things. Someone can intimidate another person (e.g .make verbal threats) and they can get arrested. Now how is that the victims fault?
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    He's doing this on TSR, where there'll be a ****load of shy people so he can get a reaction. Obvious troll is obvious.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I always have had a shy feeling (if that makes sense) but since starting college i've tried to make every effort to talk to people and make friends. It used to be daunting at first but you have to do your best to get out of your comfort zone because it eventually it will feel entirely normal.
    Having said that I don't know how anyone could look down on someone for being shy, its one of the most stupid things i've ever heard.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm shy/quiet myself so I don't mind others who are the same.
    I do prefer listening to talking but I have many moments where I can't shut up . I find it easier to speak in smaller groups than bigger groups, I'm usually very quiet around a big group as there are so many bigger personalities than mine. I don't mind if I'm not speaking to anyone either I don't mind my own company as I'm really independent . They're people don't understand shy/quiet people and can't understand why they don't talk as much as others.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yep OP is banned after 1 day signed up to TSR
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RetroRocker)
    Philosophy... It is interesting but at the same time... Fun to wind up non-philosopher friends with though! you?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S A510e
    Oh I don't do degrees yet but I did RE. and that was pretty bad when mostly everyone was christian and I was in the minority of atheists.

Arguments happened all the time .

I think I should have picked philosophy instead but I bet at university it's harder!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahchan)
    Oh I don't do degrees yet but I did RE. and that was pretty bad when mostly everyone was christian and I was in the minority of atheists.

Arguments happened all the time .

I think I should have picked philosophy instead but I bet at university it's harder!
    I never did philosophy at A-level etc, so I can't really compare, but people I know who did do philosophy before degree-level say its completely different to A-levely type stuff...

At school we had the whole atheist/christian divide in our friend group... There were 3 or 4 of us who were atheists and everyone else was christian or beleived in a God of some form, but not in a religion - we used to have massive debates about it in the common room - cause we were cool! I was always really quiet about it cause although I'm a bit of a millitant atheist, I didn't want to upset anybody cause the christians were all really nice people!

Had a similar thing going on with all the tories against the minority of us who were leftys, which I never really got envolved in either!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 17, 2012
New on TSR

Vote for your favourite Christmas film

Win a bundle of Xmas DVDs

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.