The Student Room Group

Any of you have hopeless teachers?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i had a physics teacher for GCSE who just couldn't be bothered teaching at all... the few times we actually did practicals most people just tried to trash the classromm eg tippex pens in bunsen burners and one time when we got to see a van der graaf generator they tried licking it! :O ow...
basically he didnt care and just sat there reading a book for 2 years :O
Original post by Livvy99
basically he didnt care and just sat there reading a book for 2 years :O

That must have been a seriously long book.
Reply 22
Original post by TenOfThem
Do you imagine that your teacher is there to entertain you?

I don't think it's too uncommon to consider making the subject interesting to be a characteristic of a 'good' teacher.
My Business teacher was a nice person, however she didn't really get it. There was one stand out lesson when we she told us to research the meaning of some theory. We asked her if we were right to which she replied "i'm not sure", and suddenly we all caught on as to why we had to research it in the first place.
Original post by mimx
I don't think it's too uncommon to consider making the subject interesting to be a characteristic of a 'good' teacher.

I do not disagree

But there is a large gap between Good and Hopeless and that gap can contain teachers who may be dull in their delivery but who have superb subject knowledge ... sadly I have seen people like this, who could benefit students greatly, leaving the profession because students demand entertainment rather than education

Hence my comment
Original post by Sternumator
My maths teacher from year 9 to 11 was really bad. Everyone loved him because he was always joking around and doing non maths stuff with us, he never made us do work really. I'm kind of glad because it meant I got to have fun for 3 years and I still did well but it does make me think GCSE maths is too easy, if we actually worked hard we could have learnt so much in that time. I'm not just saying 'im really smart because I didnt work and still did well' nobody in my class did any work in lesson time really and I cant see many of them working hard at home. There were 3A*s which is bad for a top set of 30 people but everyone else except 1 go an A.

3A* for a top set is bad, if almost everyone else got an A? I'd say that was good! :s-smilie:
I don't really have bad teachers. As long as they give me all the information and I can revise myself, I'm fine.

However, my English teacher is honestly awful. She'll hand back work and go "This is ****." and not give proper feedback..
Original post by goodmorningworld
3A* for a top set is bad, if almost everyone else got an A? I'd say that was good! :s-smilie:

There were 4 sets of 30 kids so that is 3/120 or 2.5% of people in the school got A*s. I don't know what the average is but I am sure more than 2.5% would get A*s nationally.
Original post by PrinceSarah
My Drama/English teacher is going senile, I SWEAR. She never keeps to the mark schemes and asks for so much more than we can actually do in a timed essay...

oh don't be such a...

... DRAMA QUEEN

...:cool:
My maths teacher from year 9 to 11 was really bad. Everyone loved him because he was always joking around and doing non maths stuff with us, he never made us do work really. I'm kind of glad because it meant I got to have fun for 3 years and I still did well but it does make me think GCSE maths is too easy, if we actually worked hard we could have learnt so much in that time. I'm not just saying 'im really smart because I didnt work and still did well' nobody in my class did any work in lesson time really and I cant see many of them working hard at home. There were 3A*s which is bad for a top set of 30 people but everyone else except 1 go an A.

Really I don't mean to brag but that is good compared to our school I mean out of the whole Year 11 there is only one A* maths and that was me.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
oh don't be such a...

... DRAMA QUEEN

...:cool:

Ahaaa I see what you did there! :biggrin:
Reply 31
My philosophy teacher is useless. He's nice enough and is well-known for being friendly but people that aren't taught by him have no idea how poor he is.

He's covered the whole course but only at a very basic level (probably just about enough to get a C) and, although at first I discreetly made notes in class, I quickly lost interest and am now having to teach myself the whole course with the A2 exam in two weeks... :unimpressed:
Reply 32
Our GCSE physics teacher was awful. He just could not teach at all, we literally covered about 1/4 of the syllabus. On one of our PSHE days, he stole a packet of condoms from the neighbouring class who were doing sex ed and proceeded to fill them with gas and blow them up for our amusement xD We were meant to be learning about acceleration xD In the end I just taught myself from the CGP revision guides which are amazing!
Reply 33
Aaaarrghh! I hate when I'm put with incompetent teachers - yes incompetent!
It frustrates the hell out of me.

I just don't get how people can even make it through to teacher status without bloody knowing how to teach!

I have a Bio teacher who tries to teach us A-Level stuff with our gcse, when they can't even get the gcse stuff through to us.

And a Physics teacher with an oh-so-monotonous tone who makes the easiest things seem oh-so-complicated.

Sometimes I wish I could just get up there and teach the class.

It really worries me how the education system is going.

We are forced to go to school, yet so much of the time our time is wasted by bad teachers.

Yes, of course I can sit with a textbook and teach myself but I go to school for a reason - to be taught - to have a classroom experience which can be so invaluable in helping you to understand a topic/enjoy it so much more.

Teaching is simple, yet it can made so unnecessarily complicated.
There were 4 sets of 30 kids so that is 3/120 or 2.5% of people in the school got A*s. I don't know what the average is but I am sure more than 2.5% would get A*s nationally.

Yeah I guess, but that takes into account all schools: the amazing and the incredibly bad, so I think it's hard to judge what's good or bad for your individual school (unless everyone got U's and then y'know.) :smile:
My GCSE Biology teacher. Thanks to him, I failed both my module and even after repeating it, I still failed. (My whole class did, too.) He thinks it's all our fault! Now my GCSE exam is in a couple of weeks. This should be fun..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending