The Student Room Group

The "I'm scared I'm going to miss my offer" thread

Scroll to see replies

Think I missed getting an A in the recent Edexcel C4 maths paper, for my AAA requirement to study Economics at Birmingham.

If I get AAB, or potentially A*AB with A* in Economics, do you think they'd let me in?

Apparently my friends who went through UCAS extra after not getting their offers, saw Economics at Birmingham as an option. I'm hoping this means they potentially have extra places available... anyone been in my position with Bham?

Thanks
Original post by cpdavis
So you are saying you've done so bad that you don't even have a U in the paper? Plus you are doing 4 A levels :s-smilie:

I'm only doing 3 A-Levels so need an A in English Lit to meet my offer. I know it sounds like I'm exaggerating, but it feels like I'm not going to get a high enough mark to get that atm. I really do hope that I am being melodramatic though and get higher than that!
I think i'm going to miss my firm and insurance offers by getting a C in further maths instead of a B. Unless I can get an A in FP2 tomorrow, which is VERY unlikely!
Original post by confused dot com
I'm only doing 3 A-Levels so need an A in English Lit to meet my offer. I know it sounds like I'm exaggerating, but it feels like I'm not going to get a high enough mark to get that atm. I really do hope that I am being melodramatic though and get higher than that!

I understand that you are only doing 3 A Levels. However, last year I was worried I didn't get an A as I had to retake everything to get my average up. You are in a position to fail and still get an A which most people would kill for!
Reply 384
the wait is agonising
Original post by confused dot com

:hugs: I bet you ANYTHING at all that on results day, you'll be on here wondering what you were worrying about. You have amazing ASs as others have said, and there's no way you can go from such a high A to a U in a year!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 386
*sigh* My offer is AA (king's college) and ABB (st georges)

Only needed 65 ums in c4 (edexcel) to get an overall B but im pretty sure I didn't even manage to get an E in that paper :cry2:

And there's no chance of me getting A's in chem or bio with the way chem 5 and bio 4 went
Yeah I'm sure I missed my offer too, A-level is just so stressful and i can't wait until I'm free, now I am I just want to curl up in a ball :sadface:
Ok any advice would be helpful (i've also posted on the cambridge offer holders thread). I have my offer of A*AA and 1,1 in STEP for mathematics. If I were to get A*A*A*A and miss my STEP offer but had extenuating circumstances (school have sent off) what are the chances of my college taking me?
Thanks, im somewhat nervy atm
Reply 389
OCR maths C4 has destroyed any chance I had of getting to university this year :frown:
Reply 390
Original post by Casshern1456
Yeah I'm sure I missed my offer too, A-level is just so stressful and i can't wait until I'm free, now I am I just want to curl up in a ball :sadface:

This is EXACTLY how I feel.
Reply 391
I feel ridiculously out-of-place posting in this thread, considering the large majority of you guys are applicants for Oxbridge, UCL, Warwick and so forth. But still, if anyone can help, it would be much appreciated! :shy2:

My offer from Brunel of BBB is my firm. My coursework throughout college has been consistently good, with it all being As and Bs. However, I really struggle with nerves, meaning my exams often don't go to plan! This bought my AS grades down to BBB and I'm not sure if I will be able to replicate it this year. I'm obviously hoping for BBB, but predicting BBC-BCC because of my A2 exams and one of my coursework modules this year as well. :frown:
Is there any use in phoning up the admissions department at Brunel and speaking to them? Does showing interest in the university benefit me at all? Also, has the general number of university applicants this year been affected by tuition fees as much as predicted? :/
My hopes of going to uni have been destroyed by my exams. I got really depressed after my last one but then I just thought 'such is life', as much as I would love to crawl into a ball and cry for a year at missing my chances of going to pretty much my dream uni I have come to terms that I'll either have to go into clearing or take a gap year.
I've forced myself to be calm and accept thing because I would go insane if I kept thinking about Judgement Day aka Results Day 2012
I' trying not to be too pessimistic while simultaneously not being too optimistic either, I've almost 100% fooled myself into having this attitude
I should be ok but am worried

Need 320 points

Already have 70 from a scheme
So need 250 from 4 A levels

Government & Politics (B at AS)
Media Studies (C at AS)
ICT (C at AS, teacher marked all A2 Inc jan exam at C, so should be a C)
General Studies (D at AS)

I know It should all be fine as I only need 250 from the four with bccd to fall back on from AS but I have this feeling that I won't get the grades (thought same at Gcse but they were fine)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Offered A*AAb, predicted A*AAAa
I think I'm going to get AABBb and that's if I'm lucky... :'(

Reality could be: AABCb..... stupid chemistry unit 5 :angry:

Gap year here I come.... :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by spazna

Only needed 65 ums in c4 (edexcel) to get an overall B but im pretty sure I didn't even manage to get an E in that paper :cry2:

And there's no chance of me getting A's in chem or bio with the way chem 5 and bio 4 went

My offer is also AA for Kings College, and I'm so scared that everyone's always like "You only need two A's" and if I end up with two B's.. I'll end up flopping :'(

Good luck!
Reply 396
Original post by spazna

Needed somewhat similar for C4. Dunno if I will get it, but I hope the boundaries are low
Reply 397
Original post by maths134
Ok any advice would be helpful (i've also posted on the cambridge offer holders thread). I have my offer of A*AA and 1,1 in STEP for mathematics. If I were to get A*A*A*A and miss my STEP offer but had extenuating circumstances (school have sent off) what are the chances of my college taking me?
Thanks, im somewhat nervy atm

I don't want to sound mean, and it truly will depend on how bad the circumstances are, but for cambridge maths applicants it really is all about STEP, two of your A*s (maths and fm) cambridge will take as given...

And two offers are given per place for maths, so missing it tends to be a big no-no :/
A 1,1 is a high offer, so i expect its from a fairly good college?
It could be that you get pooled and taken by another college, just try to get the best score in STEP as this is really crucial.
All the best x
Original post by rudin94
I don't want to sound mean, and it truly will depend on how bad the circumstances are, but for cambridge maths applicants it really is all about STEP, two of your A*s (maths and fm) cambridge will take as given...

And two offers are given per place for maths, so missing it tends to be a big no-no :/
A 1,1 is a high offer, so i expect its from a fairly good college?
It could be that you get pooled and taken by another college, just try to get the best score in STEP as this is really crucial.
All the best x

1,1 is pretty standard? And I only asked because I know lots of ppl miss their STEP offer every yr and get in so was wondering how much mitigating circumstances would help... (Sidney Sussex btw)
Original post by Pritesh.Mistry
Think I missed getting an A in the recent Edexcel C4 maths paper, for my AAA requirement to study Economics at Birmingham.

If I get AAB, or potentially A*AB with A* in Economics, do you think they'd let me in?

I don't know whether you needed it specified in your offer, but my friends who have AAA offers from Birmingham are also able to get A*AB and meet their offer - might be worth contacting them just to put your mind at rest in case!
I definitely missed my A in Maths from that paper :sigh: thank god Edinburgh lowered my offer to BBB :')

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending