The Student Room Group

P2 Additional Science Next week!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by kILLERm
For people who are doing a resit for P2, do you understand how u messed up first time?. I can't understand. I found the paper so easy yet I still slipped up. I don't know what I slipped up on, that's what scares me.

what grade did you get??
Reply 41
All the people on the real mint side come put ur hands up because Im gonna do the p2 tommorow
Original post by kILLERm
For people who are doing a resit for P2, do you understand how u messed up first time?. I can't understand. I found the paper so easy yet I still slipped up. I don't know what I slipped up on, that's what scares me.

yeah i paid 8 quid and had my January 2012 paper returned to me so i could jhave a look where i went wrong, and not surprised where i went wrong i found jan 2012 much harder than past papers, thankfully p2 June grade boundaries are always low
Can anyone explain to me what a control rod does? Thank you in advance :smile:
A control rod absorbs surplus neutrons in a chain fission reaction, to keep it under control :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by khalidpatel
Right guys lets keep the thread abit more lively can somebody explain the difference between nuclear fission and fusion??

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Fusion is where two small atomic nuclei join together (FUSE together) to form a bigger and heavier nucleus.

In fission either Uranium-235 or Plutonium-239 gets used as the fuel. There may be question on stating another fuel which gets used in fission so be prepared.

Fission is where a neutron gets absorbed by either Plutonium-239 or Uranium-235, releasing 2 or 3neutrons, energy and two nuclei. One of the two released neutrons would then be absorbed by further uranium-235 nucleus or plutonium-239 and so on. This is why fission is a called a controlled CHAIN reaction.

Nuclear Fusion occurs in stars and the Sun. A question paper for higher did ask where it occurs naturally.

That's all you need to know for fission and fusion.
Reply 46
Original post by shyamshah
Can anyone explain to me what a control rod does? Thank you in advance :smile:

The control rod would absorb neutrons. The proportion of neutrons absorbed by the control rods would increase if the rods are lowered in the reactor. Therefore when the control rods get lowered, a smaller proportion of neutrons get absorbed by the fuel rods (where fission occurs). As there are less neutrons for fission to occur, the chain reaction is controlled due to less energy released.

Make sure you know the above. In one higher paper for P2 they asked about the effect of lowering the control rods in a nuclear fission reactor.
Reply 47
Original post by Fas
What could you say if the question was " State one factor which affects cars distance during driver reaction time"

Thinking Distance affected by:
Drugs
Tiredness
Alcohol
Original post by krisshP
The control rod would absorb neutrons. The proportion of neutrons absorbed by the control rods would increase if the rods are lowered in the reactor. Therefore when the control rods get lowered, a smaller proportion of neutrons get absorbed by the fuel rods (where fission occurs). As there are less neutrons for fission to occur, the chain reaction is controlled due to less energy released. Make sure you know the above. In one higher paper for P2 they asked about the effect of lowering the control rods in a nuclear fission reactor.
Thank you, yeah I did that paper too. :smile:
Reply 49
Guys do u think Rutherford stuff will be in tomorrows exam? Because it all ready came in jan??

Reply 50
Who's doing new spec and who's doing old spec?
Reply 51
Highly doubt that the nuclear model or the plum pudding model will come up, but revise it anyway, you just never know with aqa :rolleyes:
Reply 52
Ahh true... I think everybody on this thread is doing old spec

Reply 53
I'm doing new spec and it's tomorrow. Have you got any tips for something who's doing paper for the first time.
(edited 11 years ago)
Do we need to revise any formulas or are we given all of them?
Reply 55
They give u the formulas but make sure u know the units!!

They give u the formulas but make sure u know the units!! This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Thank you :wink:
Reply 57
what grade did you get??

B. It's a poor performance, considering that I got predominantly A*s along with a few As in my past papers.

For everyone doing the paper, my tip is to not panic. It wont get u anywhere if u do. I remained calm throughout my C2 paper and I barely made mistakes (approx 40/45). By panicing, u only drop easy marks as your brain switches off. Trust me.
Reply 58
Guys do u think Rutherford stuff will be in tomorrows exam? Because it all ready came in jan??

No as a big question on the nuclear model and the plum pudding model came recently.
Reply 59
Braking distance :/ hmm not sure

Braking distance is simply the distance travelled by a car from when the driver applies the brakes to when the car is stopped completely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending