The Student Room Group

I think i might fail my english and maths GCSE

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Wow, what a load of judgemental nitpickers. Do people deliberatly come on these threads to make fun of people ASKING FOR HELP?

Disclaimer: I don't mean everyone.
(edited 11 years ago)
Just try not to worry too much, I mean if you don't do well you can always retake. And maths can easily be sorted by a private tutor or by going to after school revision sessions.

However by looking at your original post it seems like you have a confidence issue in these subjects. Build up your confidence in those subjects and you can achieve good grades!

I had the same problem with maths but I overcame it with revision and tonnes of mock papers! Good luck man
Reply 22
Original post by CharlieBakes
Hello My Name is charlie i am getting woried about failling my English And maths GCSE at the moment for my controlled assments in english i was getting C/Ds but when i am forced to wright about a question what i have just seen just like my english mock i fail my mock grade was an E what i was very angry about it anyway at my school it is a bit unfair because like top set students get all the help where mid range and bottom students get tost a side, top set students get help and have like 3 teachers in there english lesson helping them revise for there exam anyway getting off topic i think i might fail my english and maths

But at this time i have 6-9 GCSE in other lesson does anyone think that is good

LOL Spelling Mistake In The title LOL

I have got 7 GCSE at the min

Well first I think you should sort out your grammar and spelling in your post to progress in your English GCSE. In maths I guess it's just generally practice, practice and practice!

On a more serious note though, if you want to get the grade you want, all you can do is try your best and ask for lots of help.

Good luck.
Reply 23
Hello My Name is charlie i am getting woried about failling my English And maths GCSE at the moment for my controlled assments in english i was getting C/Ds but when i am forced to wright about a question what i have just seen just like my english mock i fail my mock grade was an E what i was very angry about it anyway at my school it is a bit unfair because like top set students get all the help where mid range and bottom students get tost a side, top set students get help and have like 3 teachers in there english lesson helping them revise for there exam anyway getting off topic i think i might fail my english and maths

When you first see an English question, i'd recommend doing a 5 minute plan. If you stick with what you put in your plan you can organise your writing better.
Planning can feel time consuming, but with the English Language exam, they often give you 1 hour for one question, so you have plenty of time for writing anyway.

You didn't tell us much about how you are with Maths, have you done any module exams for it so far?
Reply 24

The amount of effort you put into writing all that is enough to get you a C at GCSE English. As for maths its just practise, if you can't get a C in GCSE maths your going to be severely disadvantaged later in life such as university applications and even apprenticeships / graduate programmes have a C/B GCSE English, Science and Maths requirement.

I don't think your the idiot type because you've come here for help and I commend you for that, I think your more of the lazy type.
Reply 25
You need to practise a lot for both subjects especially Maths. Haven't heard of this phrase called, 'Practice makes perfect'??

Anyway, I suggest you to stop complaining that the top students get the most help because you are wasting even more of your time ranting here on TSR... I am sorry to say such things like biasness do happen and it is no use getting angry about it. So...Good Luck to you!!

Hope you can beat the odds:smile:
Reply 26
Original post by GrantG
Me fail English? That's impossible.

UNpossible.

Original post by InternetGangster
It's also pretty ironic that your slating this guy when your grammer is completely and uterly disasterous.

All perfectly cromulent words. But a few are terribly misspelled.
Reply 27
Original post by InternetGangster
It's also pretty ironic that your slating this guy when your grammer is completely and uterly disasterous.

2 mistakes? What English Language grade did you get?
Unfortunately maths and english GCSE's are very important and if you don't pass them you'll be closing a lot of doors for yourself. If you do fail them though you should be able to re-sit them.

By the way.. your post looks like it's been written by a dyslexic person. Are you dyslexic? And if not have you been tested for dyslexia?
Reply 29
I'm sure he didn't post with the intentions of others marking it... give him some slack.
Reply 30
What exam board are you with? I do AQA, so it things may not completely apply to you, but all boards are roughly the same.

So, if you're in Year 10, I would ask your teacher whether you can redo one or some of your CAs. Ask exactly where you went wrong. If I were you, I'd ask to redo a speaking and listening (for me, it's worth 20% of language, and is generally very easy). Then, you could resit an exam that doesn't award a lot of marks for writing style (sorry, but some yor spelling isn't great, and it can be the difference between a grade), such as the Spoken Language Study.

If you're in Year 11, do LOADS of exam questions and ask your teacher to mark them. Correct the pieces, and you will start to improve. If you do fail English and Maths, there is always adult learning courses that will get you a GCSE equivalent.

If you do English Language and Literature GCSE with AQA, then this will apply to you. If you don't then the general message is if you can resit some CAs that aren't marked on spelling. If you're in Year 11, then just do a lot of practise questions. Whatever happens, good luck!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31

There is no mistake in the title. There are about 10 in your text. Mate ur a spaz . Dont worry about failing maths or english cuz uve failed life. POW

To be honest I think the majority of people responding to this post should be ashamed of themselves. Just because you're not actually talking to somebody in real life does not mean you have the right to be patronising or out right vile.

To the original poster. I think your main issues are speeling punctuation and grammar, they make up a relatively small percentage of the marks scheme but examiners tend to come to a judgement very quickly and they are extremely prejudiced against those with poor SPaG (spelling puntuation and grammar).

To allow people to really give advice you need to say which exam board you're doing and for english language which book.

Hope this helped.
Reply 33
Original post by Norton1
UNpossible.

All perfectly cromulent words. But a few are terribly misspelled.

I'm pretty sure he/she was being deliberate. That was the joke.
To enrol at university you need Cs in Maths and English, and to do many college courses you also need these (and if you don't have them, you're forced to re-sit.). Have you been assessed for Dyslexia/Dyscalculia?
Original post by Lyndonx
Depends what A levels you want to do, or what degree you want to study.

Can't progress onto A Levels without a pass - usually Grade C - in Eng and Maths I thought?
I need help, not judgment

Op i really feel for you. I do not think it is ok for people to make fun of your spelling mistakes etc, we should surely help the Op and guide him- he needs help.
There are so many resources on the Internet that you could use to revise for GCSE English and Mathematics.
English was my forte, so If you want to pm and get some advice, i'm sure i could russell up some pointers.
My biggest advice, is practice writing essays and look at the mark schemes.
Do essays, give them to your teachers and get them marked, ask for feedback to get where you are going wrong.
I did this again and again and again (they go annoyed lol, but you need to do this for yourself)
Here are some fantastic resources I used in my GCSE English:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/english/

*truly brilliant resource- I found

http://www.englishbiz.co.uk/

* I didn't use this, that much but it was very good

http://www.coursework.info/GCSE/English_Language

*Excellent for essay advice, I looked at structures and they were very good in guiding me :smile:

http://revisionworld.co.uk/gcse-revision/english
* I just found this one recently, but it looks pretty decent

http://www.sparknotes.com/

Heaven on earth- this helped me with lit, I'm not sure if you are doing this, but you should check it out if you are :smile:

http://www.s-cool.co.uk/gcse/english
--Its cool LOL, I use this resource quite a bit still so could be good for you!

http://www.sprowstonhigh.org/cms/resources/revision/How%20to%20write%20an%20A-star%20poetry%20response.pdf
I used to look for this kind of stuff all over the internet lol, some schools would just upload it, and anyone could see- take advantage!!!
Some of them are REALLY good!

For english this is what you are going to do:

Look at the notes you've collected (and your exam board spec), and the websites i've given you
Write a quick revision guide/ summary of techniques you need to use and all sorts e.g
PEEL. Metaphor, Alliteration, Oxymoron, emotive language etc...
Re-read all your notes again, and your summaries
Write essays again, and again and again.
Get your teacher to mark it, if not post it on here- there are many English geniuses here! Lol
Perfect your technique, and carry on until the exam.

My biggest advice, is don't stress out and never stop believing in yourself.

I believe if you do this in a solid day- wake up, eat breathe smell, poop English you can attain a brilliant grade.
Take everyones advice on here and sit up, and do your work.
Remember to punctuate and spell correctly too! No need having excellent content but poor grammar :wink:
Good luck, my dear, I wish you all the luck in the world.
I'm sure you will do fabulously.

Ignore all the nay sayers, have faith in yourself and keep on going.
Remember- "Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."

For maths:

Mymaths
&
Samlearning

God send.

:biggrin:

xxxxxxxx

Edit- your name charlie baker- reminds me of charles baker harris.
JUST SAYIN' :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by dragonkeeper999
If you want to do plumbing, I find it odd that it's often required to have 5GCSEs including english + maths, for example. Perhaps maths is useful, but you'll only really need to be able to add numbers together, calculate profits and cost, and be able to read a tape measure! I think there are many flaws in our education system sometimes... :frown: Like you mentioned being basically abandoned by your school in lessons with all the support going to the top pupils - really it should be the other way round! Grrrr...
If you need any maths help, feel free to PM me - I do AS Maths. :smile:

Seriously? I dont know about you, but I think pretty much everyone in the labour force should at least have a GCSE in maths (that's a C grade) - regardless of their job.
Reply 38
Original post by ChunkyFudgeLover101
Op i really feel for you. I do not think it is ok for people to make fun of your spelling mistakes etc, we should surely help the Op and guide him- he needs help.
There are so many resources on the Internet that you could use to revise for GCSE English and Mathematics.
English was my forte, so If you want to pm and get some advice, i'm sure i could russell up some pointers.
My biggest advice, is practice writing essays and look at the mark schemes.
Do essays, give them to your teachers and get them marked, ask for feedback to get where you are going wrong.
I did this again and again and again (they go annoyed lol, but you need to do this for yourself)
Here are some fantastic resources I used in my GCSE English:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/english/

*truly brilliant resource- I found

http://www.englishbiz.co.uk/

* I didn't use this, that much but it was very good

http://www.coursework.info/GCSE/English_Language

*Excellent for essay advice, I looked at structures and they were very good in guiding me :smile:

http://revisionworld.co.uk/gcse-revision/english
* I just found this one recently, but it looks pretty decent

http://www.sparknotes.com/

Heaven on earth- this helped me with lit, I'm not sure if you are doing this, but you should check it out if you are :smile:

http://www.s-cool.co.uk/gcse/english
--Its cool LOL, I use this resource quite a bit still so could be good for you!

http://www.sprowstonhigh.org/cms/resources/revision/How%20to%20write%20an%20A-star%20poetry%20response.pdf
I used to look for this kind of stuff all over the internet lol, some schools would just upload it, and anyone could see- take advantage!!!
Some of them are REALLY good!

For english this is what you are going to do:

Look at the notes you've collected (and your exam board spec), and the websites i've given you
Write a quick revision guide/ summary of techniques you need to use and all sorts e.g
PEEL. Metaphor, Alliteration, Oxymoron, emotive language etc...
Re-read all your notes again, and your summaries
Write essays again, and again and again.
Get your teacher to mark it, if not post it on here- there are many English geniuses here! Lol
Perfect your technique, and carry on until the exam.

My biggest advice, is don't stress out and never stop believing in yourself.

I believe if you do this in a solid day- wake up, eat breathe smell, poop English you can attain a brilliant grade.
Take everyones advice on here and sit up, and do your work.
Remember to punctuate and spell correctly too! No need having excellent content but poor grammar :wink:
Good luck, my dear, I wish you all the luck in the world.
I'm sure you will do fabulously.

Ignore all the nay sayers, have faith in yourself and keep on going.
Remember- "Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."

For maths:

Mymaths
&
Samlearning

God send.

:biggrin:

xxxxxxxx

Edit- your name charlie baker- reminds me of charles baker harris.
JUST SAYIN' :P

We need more people like you on this forum, and the world...
Original post by Lyndonx
We need more people like you on this forum, and the world...

I appreciate your comment, thank you. :smile:

The world needs people who recognise there should be kindness in the world, and on this forum lol, like you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest