The Student Room Group

People who get A* in Eng Lit are smarter than the people who do the same in Science?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sternumator
I don't agree it requires more thinking in the actual exam. It is true that for maths and science exams once you understand the content you can practice it and then go through the steps in the exams but not many people come up with their own ideas about the text when they are in a literature exam either.

No, but you do have to put a hell of a lot of thought into the form of your answer itself. With science and maths, the form of the answer is largely irrelevant as long as it is coherent and correct. This is what I mean by the competence/performance distinction.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by dmccririck
It says clearly on your academic info that you took maths, physics, chemistry and economics? Please back your facts up with evidence.

LEGEND
Not sure if trolling or just displaying superiority complex...
English cannot even be compared to Mathematics and the Sciences. Back to your corner now, small fry.
Original post by Ch1pp0
Having got A* in both English Lit and all the Sciences/Maths I can say that from my perspective sciences require learning facts and then applying them skillfully, however, eng. lit. was just bulls***ting and required no revision/effort.

Balls.
Original post by TurboCretin
Balls.

True how can you say English requires no effort? The guy is an idiot.
Original post by George Agdgdgwngo
You're using words like "analyse" and "structure"; words integral to the study of Science so you're talking absolute *******s. Some scientists are some of the best writers we have ever seen, yet they also have the added value of making us understand the universe. With all due respect, English Literature doesn't do this.

If you think studying science is about memorising information you're highly misguided, and quite frankly not doing much for your cause of suggesting people who study English Literature are automatically brighter than Scientists :rolleyes:

To be a successful Scientist you need to be extremely creative, and in my opinion more creative than people who write novels...

Tell me something an expert in English Literature can do that a good Scientist can't?

One point to raise: we aren't talking about experts, we're talking about A-level students and the requirements for them to do well in A-level exams.
Reply 87
Original post by dmccririck
It says clearly on your academic info that you took maths, physics, chemistry and economics? Please back your facts up with evidence.

Sorry I meant for GCSE. I didn't see this was about A-levels.

Have deleted post.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 88
Balls.

Sorry I meant for GCSE. I didn't see this was about A-levels.

Will delete post.
Farcical notion. English is the nonpareil form of inanity. All one requires is a panoply of recondite lexis to disconcert perusers to manifest your catholic argot.

See, all you need to do is create poppycock from twaddle. English is simple and for the banality to examine. To write: now that is discordant, because to establish, is to concoct a difference.
One point to raise: we aren't talking about experts, we're talking about A-level students and the requirements for them to do well in A-level exams.
Fair enough, I thought this was in general. In that case, science at school isn't the same. Non argument really in that case. Most subjects at school are about learning marking schemes/answers/basic concepts at worst, and involve very little independent thinking.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Above.The.Empyrean
Farcical notion. English is the nonpareil form of inanity. All one requires is a panoply of recondite lexis to disconcert perusers to manifest your catholic argot.

See, all you need to do is create poppycock from twaddle. English is simple and for the banality to examine. To write: now that is discordant, because to establish, is to concoct a difference.

Oh the irony.
Original post by Above.The.Empyrean

English Please?
Reply 93
I didn't like doing english because the way it was marked in my opinion was a little stupid. In maths the answer is either right or wrong and there the mark you get is definitely your ability. However with English it's the teacher who reads through the text and then at the end just goes, "eh, it was alright, I'll give 60...actually 58." Most of the time with exams and such there will be a list of things you need to write about and they will tick them off and give you marks for each. But in some classroom assignments there is no mark scheme and so the teacher just (not quite randomly) chooses a number roughly to your level and then that is your mark.

I know however that is extremely biased because I am in Year 12 doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics. So naturally I will jump to the defence of the 'mathsy' subjects when someone accuses them of being easy.
Original post by George Agdgdgwngo
Fair enough, I thought this was in general. In that case, science at school isn't the same. Non argument really in that case. Most subjects at school are about learning marking schemes/answers/basic concepts at worst, and involve very little independent thinking.

Agreed.
Reply 95
Not to be offensive but this is what I, and many people I know think of English Lit. - you find a quote, and analyse it. By analysing, you spot the language device used and 'make up' as much as you want about how it is effective.
Subjects like Biology require more memory, Chemistry requires memory as well as some maths skills for the equations (e.g no. of moles), Physics, is pretty much maths with some (IMO) difficult theory (memory with skill), especially the extension unit at GCSE. Maths, is almost different, as there is very little memory involved (only through practising questions, that style of using a method develops). But that being said, you can't get a good mark for memorizing, you have to understand everything in sciences. For maths, it's either correct or incorrect, not 'waffling' or a varied amount of interpretations like Lit.
But personally, I found English Lit. slightly difficult until I realized it's all about spotting language devices then interpreting them. Also, many people consider an A grade in English Lit. or English Language to be good.
Sorry if I have referred to GCSE's as I can see this is more about A-level.
(edited 11 years ago)
the problem most people seem to have on here is the absolutely atrocious way literature is taught and 'analyzed' for want of a better word at school.
Original post by The Doggfather
It's hard to compare the subjects, completely different and require different skills. It's why you'll rarely see someone doing something like English Lit, History, Chemistry, Maths! But I definitely think that Sciences are much harder, it's not just about memorising large pieces of information, there's alot of application too.

I know someone who is doing exactly those subjects!

I seem to have to try 5x harder in science than English literature to get the A*. I don't think you can come to any un-generalising conclusion on this topic, we're all just too odd and different.
This like comparing the intelligence of a pilot and a F1 driver, completly different skills and they use different parts of the brain. I have aced a A level physics exam before but I would completely struggle with an essay subject.
Original post by pop101
Not to be rude but this is what I, and many people I know think of English Lit. - you find a quote, and analyse it. By analysing, you spot the language device used and 'make up' as much as you want about how it is effective.
Subjects like Biology require more memory, Chemistry requires memory as well as some maths skills for the equations (e.g no. of moles), Physics, is pretty much maths with some (IMO) difficult theory (memory with skill), especially the extension unit at GCSE. Maths, is almost different, as there is very little memory involved (only through practising questions, that style of using a method develops). For maths, it's either correct or incorrect, not 'waffling' or a varied amount of interpretations like Lit.

The focus in English is a lot more on how you answer the question than what your opinion is, though the more nuanced/contrarian your opinion the better your mark is likely to be. The way the assessment works is you have certain 'assessment objectives' in accordance with which your essay will be marked. Some of the objectives are to do with how well you write, others with how much historical/contextual info you fit in, others about the depth of your analysis and awareness of linguistic/stylistic devices.

You can see that what they are looking for bridges content and form, and, contrary to popular belief, waffling won't get you marks. As for memory, try writing a closed-book paper on a Jane Austen novel or a Wordsworth poem, linguistic/stylistic analysis included.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending