The Student Room Group

Geography applicants for 2013 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by winningjojo
I wouldn't worry took between 2 and 5weeks for me to get my offers and different unis take different lengths of time. The deadline for equal consideration hasn't even passed yet so don't worry! If its any help southampton took 3 weeks to reply to me for the bsc course and my predictions were AABC. Take out a week for xmas and new year I would say that there's an offer just around the corner. Don't stress over it and concentrate on your jan modules (if you have any) no offer is going to be any good without those results :smile: :tongue:

You were right! Just received a conditional offer from Reading of ABB!! its my last choice but its great to finally have an offer under my belt and can now relax knowing that, baring exams, I have a place at university.
Original post by joereed
You were right! Just received a conditional offer from Reading of ABB!! its my last choice but its great to finally have an offer under my belt and can now relax knowing that, baring exams, I have a place at university.

Well Done!!! Ah watch them come Rolling in now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bulbasaur
Fitzwilliam :smile: - they're the biggest college for geography.

Just checked out the admissions statistics. If you were pooled by downing there might be a very good chance that you were a superb candidate but they didn't have space for you. Something like 40% of geography applicants get offers eventually, and this year loads of people applied to downing, 42 for 6 places! In competitive years the other colleges collectively end up giving out more offers to people pooled by downing for geography (i.e. people like YOU) than who got direct offers from downing for geography. So you have good reason to be optimistic about being fished. And I hope you are.

Good luck! :smile:

Thanks :wink: youve brightened up my day! Still, its taking a long time :/ the tension!!
Reply 1183
Original post by joereed
Is it alarming that I haven't had an offer yet from my universities and has been sent off for around 3 weeks? I am predicted AABB in geography, maths, Latin and sport studies (why did I pick sport studies??!!), and got ABBC at A Level. My choices are Bristol, Exeter, Southampton, Reading, Queen Mary. Should I be worried or is an offer on the horizon?

Just seen you've got an offer now but thought I'd say, as the universities closed over Christmas you've technically lost about 2 weeks out of the 3, so they've only really had 1 week to consider your application :smile: When you look at it like that, an offer in one week is very good!
Reply 1184
Sorry to bombard the thread with questions but I got an email from Bristol saying, and I quote, that they are "still considering your application". Ive had the confirmation email etc. and I was just wondering what does this actually mean as I haven't really heard of a uni to do this?
Reply 1185
Original post by joereed
Sorry to bombard the thread with questions but I got an email from Bristol saying, and I quote, that they are "still considering your application". Ive had the confirmation email etc. and I was just wondering what does this actually mean as I haven't really heard of a uni to do this?

I've not heard of universities doing this either, it's probably just to reassure you that they haven't forgotten about your application, particularly if you applied a while ago. Maybe to discourage people who are worrying about the timescale of them deciding whether to get offers from contacting them for a little while? I'm not sure if people would perhaps it's happened in the past so they just send out the bulletin to save themselves the individual correspondence?
Original post by joereed

The admissions tutors probably going on holiday.
anyone else putting bangor geography as their first choice? :smile: also recieved offers for liverpool, aberystwyth and northampton, and waiting on stirling university to reply :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey all :smile: so excited to start reading geography next year!! Best subject going :biggrin:

Applied to:
KCL (offer)
RHUL (offer)
QUML (interview)
UCL (unsuccessful) ;(
LSE (pending)

Currently firming KCL and RHUL for insurance, unless I get into lse!

Anyone heard from LSE yet? Offers or unsuccessfull?

And anyone out there for KCL so excited to live in London : D

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1189
to the guy who applied to all the London unis it won't let me quote you :frown: I haven't applied to LSE but I was just wondering how ucl contacted you? Was it by email or the portico? and what were you predicted grades? I applied like 2 mints ago and have heard nothing so assuming I'm going to be rejected!! Well done on your other offers btw
Reply 1190
Original post by joereed

I got the same email and sort of assumed we were in the 'maybe' pile? Cos it said they can't make some decisions till the deadline?
Reply 1191
[INDENT]i applied the day after the oxbridge deadline for geog BA (with a year abroad) at ucl and still havnt heard... should i call up?[/INDENT]
Reply 1192
Original post by Lozzzz
I got the same email and sort of assumed we were in the 'maybe' pile? Cos it said they can't make some decisions till the deadline?

This is what I assumed but I could quite easily be wrong! Fantastic if it is though as this is the uni I want to go to. What are your choices, grades AS results etc.
Original post by Lozzzz
to the guy who applied to all the London unis it won't let me quote you :frown: I haven't applied to LSE but I was just wondering how ucl contacted you? Was it by email or the portico? and what were you predicted grades? I applied like 2 mints ago and have heard nothing so assuming I'm going to be rejected!! Well done on your other offers btw

Hey awww good luck with your application to UCL! And my grades were AAB so I only just had the requirement so was gonna be a long shot ;( and they first updated ucas then sent a message to protoico

Good luck mate:smile: where else you applied ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bulbasaur
Awesome! Can't wait to see you there :biggrin: Assuming I make my offer, that is.

Original post by Nemeviaa
That's awesome, congrats! Are you post-a-level or just that good? :wink:

Thanks guys! I'm sure you'll make your offer! And yep post a-level haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1195
I was just thinking, which exam boards are you all doing? I always get into the habit of assuming that everybody studies the same topics as me but obviously that isn't true, so I'm curious! I guess I'll get the ball rolling...

I'm doing AQA. At AS we did rivers, glaciation, population and world health, and then this year we're doing atmosphere, volcanoes {and stuff, we haven't started yet so I'm not sure what exactly it comprises of!}, world cities and conflict. Generally speaking I've much preferred the physical topics, but I'm super excited to do the conflict section. :smile:

PS. If this already happened earlier in the thread, my bad! If it did it was a while back though as I've been here for a good four months or so I think, so we could have a refresher course? :P

PPS. My Cambridge application came through on UCAS today! I'm really quite scared to be honest because it feels like a lot of pressure, but I've firmed Cam and put Bristol as my insurance. Now I just need to get through the exams!
Original post by Waves_1995
Offer for Sidney Sussex A*AA !!

Congrats all of you! As well and to those pooled good luck! :biggrin:

Congratulations!!!

Sorry I negged you, I meant to give you a green thumbs up :smile:
Reply 1197
I'm post A Level so already finished Geography and got my grade, but I also did AQA :smile: I did exactly the same topics as you! I also preferred the physical topics but seemed to be better at the human! Conflict is really interesting as its so on topic (which also makes it quite easy!), learning about Afghanistan etc. Volcanoes comes under the title of plate tectonics, so in that topic you've got earthquakes too which I expect is what you've got to come!

For all those doing the course this is the thread that my year (last year) made for our summer exam. Its very long but flicking through it is definitely worth it as loads of people have posted notes and helpful tips. I managed to get an A* with its help, its often useful supplementing the work you do in school with work that other classes have done or info that other students have found as it just gives you that extra bit of knowledge to add in, which is what gives you that A* in the end. Hopefully you'll have a similar topic for this year but thought i'd mention it. :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1912173&page=1
I was just thinking, which exam boards are you all doing? I always get into the habit of assuming that everybody studies the same topics as me but obviously that isn't true, so I'm curious! I guess I'll get the ball rolling...

I'm doing AQA. At AS we did rivers, glaciation, population and world health, and then this year we're doing atmosphere, volcanoes {and stuff, we haven't started yet so I'm not sure what exactly it comprises of!}, world cities and conflict. Generally speaking I've much preferred the physical topics, but I'm super excited to do the conflict section. :smile:

PS. If this already happened earlier in the thread, my bad! If it did it was a while back though as I've been here for a good four months or so I think, so we could have a refresher course? :P

PPS. My Cambridge application came through on UCAS today! I'm really quite scared to be honest because it feels like a lot of pressure, but I've firmed Cam and put Bristol as my insurance. Now I just need to get through the exams!

I'm doing the wjec course :-D. At AS the topics were tectonics, hydrology, climate change, populations and settlements. :-) and at A2 the topic for the Jan exam is 'Sustainability', which includes food, water, energy and cities. For the second exam we have to do an individual research enquiry (mine is on beach quality in swansea) and some theory work too, but we havent started that yet so dont know what the topics are! :-)

anyone doing wjec??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1199

I'm also doing the AQA course and find it really interesting. I'm doing Plate Tectonics, Ecosysems (mainly because our fieldwork was based on it) and World Cities. Strangely Im finding the World Cities content much more interesting than Ecosystems, and we haven't started the plate tecntoics. I am also doing GEOG4A which isn't too bad at all, and I would expect, with a bit of revision, to gain a high mark in. How are you finding the 40 mark essay question? We've had a go at one and they are surprisingly a lot easier to write than first thought, except for the synopticity and there liking of 'thinking like a geographer' which AQA seem to be obsessed with. I just find making links difficult at times and they sometimes become too broad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending