The Student Room Group

20 year old gets sentenced to 161 years

Scroll to see replies

Original post by whyumadtho
He shot at the dog, but didn't actually hit it. Not a single living entity was physically harmed.

What if he stepped on a plant?
Original post by ANARCHY__
What if he stepped on a plant?
Well, we would have to start a moral argument about what constitutes 'harm'. :tongue:
Reply 42
Original post by BeanofJelly
When I believe it is possible he could be reformed and make up for his mistakes.

I very much doubt this (assuming his released before old age). This kid has most likely known criminality for his whole life and will be subjected to a even more criminality in prison. Education won't help him with much because he'll be too old to take any real advantage of it. And his job prospects is very, very, very low especially considering the nature of his crime. I can only see religion helping him out of it.

What do you think is likely to happen to him after he comes back to that same environment with minimal job prospects?
Reply 43
A string of armed robberies? Have to admit that my compassion is limited.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Florrick
Well I lost faith in the supposed justice of the USA, the second they sentenced a mentally ill woman to death.

Utterly barbaric.

Who are you talking about? Teresa Lewis? She wasn't mentally ill, stop being a propagandist. There were questions over mental capacity due to being near retarded but she wasn't actually mentally retarded and it's illegal to execute a mentally retarded person. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atkins_v._Virginia You can argue that bordering retarded diminishes criminal responsibility but you don't have much evidence for that. The whole concept of criminal responsibility is controversial especially when we factor in lack of free will. Deindividuation says we lose our self-awareness in groups, does not that mean we shouldn't prosecute rioters because they won't have committed a crime under different circumstances
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
I very much doubt this (assuming his released before old age). This kid has most likely known criminality for his whole life and will be subjected to a even more criminality in prison. Education won't help him with much because he'll be too old to take any real advantage of it. And his job prospects is very, very, very low especially considering the nature of his crime. I can only see religion helping him out of it.

What do you think is likely to happen to him after he comes back to that same environment with minimal job prospects?

He is a school drop-out, has a learning disability and mental illness. He does not sound the brightest when he speaks.

He's never going to be reformed into a high flying academic individual.

But he probably could be taught to paint, fix cars, etc/ have some sort of job that he takes pride in.

In this country (UK), his mental health issues would hopefully (unfortunately it doesn't always happen) mean that:
- He had a case worker who could support him and help him to sort out his life.
- He could attend day sessions to give him structure, and some non-criminal friends.
- He could probably attend sessions to talk about his behaviour and how he can adjust it.
- He could attend skill sessions/ training sessions and be helped into employment.
- If he has contributing alcohol or drug dependencies, he could be helped with them.

(Even if those problems aren't a direct result of his mental health disorder, the mental health team would work to sort out his life).

In an ideal world (and honestly I think this should happen) - someone like him should be shipped out of the city, away from their bad influences and "adopted" by an employer and a social care team in a quiet low-crime area who would help them to lead a functional life, probably working in something menial.

For a few young criminals, training schemes like these do sort of exist in the UK.

I can say pretty confidently that if something like that could happen to him, he would probably never offend again.

It's just a shame that prison is the "solution" offered to this situation, when really it's a very sad outcome for both this young man, and the society he could be part of instead of just being an expense to.

EDIT:
Your average prisoner is an inadequate, not the brightest individual, often with mental illness or a drug/alcohol abuse problem who basically could be good if they had a bit of looking after.

There are others who combine the above with also having a heightened sense of entitlement/selfishness (which is bad, obviously, but can be worked on, eg: community work, interaction with victims).

Note: Society gives no entitlement to this group of people, they will never have well paying jobs or be "successful" by popular measures, even if they didn't commit crime. I'm not saying that's wrong, but it's a factor.

These people will serially commit petty offences because prison if anything, worsens their ability to cope with ordinary life in a functional way that is beneficial or at least neutral to society.

Prison also puts these vulnerable and often very persuadable people in an enclosed space with those who have committed very serious, evil crimes because of psychopathic tendencies in their personality. Not good.

Basically: I think prison is a really ****ty solution for most criminal behaviour, and for pretty much all petty criminal behaviour. It is probably necessary for intractably selfish/evil people who commit crime (literally need to be kept away from everyone else), it is probably an effective deterrent for people from higher or middle class background (extremely shameful, interruption from successful work/life). That's about it. And on top of mostly being ineffective, it's really expensive, for everyone.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by whyumadtho
Well, we would have to start a moral argument about what constitutes 'harm'. :tongue:

Look man, I have researched this for ages. Plants have got feelings. Speak to your common garden weed; they'll tell you how **** they feel when everyone tries to get rid of them. All your dandelions and stinging nettles try and spread their love and roots to as many plants as they can. What thanks do they get? Nothing. Straight nothing. That's cold man, real cold.
Reply 47
Original post by Darth Stewie
How **** must his lawyer of been :eek:

His lawyer resigned from the case :s-smilie:
Reply 48

So his whole life is merely a downward spiral from childhood and there is nothing anybody can do to save him?

Being convicted of any sort of felony will (rightly) make anyone's life an awful lot more difficult, but the idea that such people are totally beyond recall from such a low age is difficult to stomach. It absolutely stinks actually.
He probably would have been better off getting in a shoot out and getting shot to be honest
Reply 50
Original post by BeanofJelly
He is a school drop-out, has a learning disability and mental illness. He does not sound the brightest when he speaks.

He's never going to be reformed into a high flying academic individual.

But he probably could be taught to paint, fix cars, etc/ have some sort of job that he takes pride in.

In this country (UK), his mental health issues would mean that:
- He had a case worker who could support him and help him to sort out his life.
- He could attend day sessions to give him structure, and some non-criminal friends.
- He could probably attend sessions to talk about his behaviour and how he can adjust it.

(Even if those problems aren't a direct result of his mental health disorder, the mental health team would work to sort out his life).

In an ideal world (and honestly I think this should happen) - someone like him should be shipped out of the city, away from their bad influences and "adopted" by an employer and a social care team in a quiet low-crime area who would help them to lead a functional life, probably working in something menial.

For a few young criminals, training schemes like these do sort of exist in the UK.

I can say pretty confidently that if something like that could happen to him, he would probably never offend again.

It's just a shame that prison is the "solution" offered to this situation, when really it's a very sad outcome for both this young man, and the society he could be part of instead of just being an expense to.

The problem here is the bad influences (friends and their criminal activities) > good influences (social care worker) so I don't think they could do much for him if he was still in that negative environment. These friends he currently has have grown up with him, you think his going to abandon them for some random dudes he met at some bull**** meetings he probably only went to get his disability pay check? Especially when he probably can't even relate to them. There needs to be a inner-motivation to change. And that isn't easy to develop, especially without religion.

I agree with you, something like that sounds good but it's a little unrealistic. There needs to be something done to tackle youth crime which is fueled by income inequality, lack of education, poor parenting etc but this is long-term solutions and generally. I don't think, realistically, something can be done to help this one case.
Serves him right.
So I'm guessing it was the dog's family that pressed charges for attempted murder :rolleyes:
Reply 53
Original post by Teofilo
So his whole life is merely a downward spiral from childhood and there is nothing anybody can do to save him?

Being convicted of any sort of felony will (rightly) make anyone's life an awful lot more difficult, but the idea that such people are totally beyond recall from such a low age is difficult to stomach. It absolutely stinks actually.

There is but it will cost a helluva lot of money e.g. taking him away from his current environment, giving him the opportunity to meet someone and start a family (if he desires which most people do) and giving him a sustainable income and getting rid materialistic desires which make him want more than his able to have as well as not putting him in with other criminals which are bad influences to him.
If capital punishment won't be making a reappearance, sentences like this will have to do.
Original post by Id and Ego seek
If capital punishment won't be making a reappearance, sentences like this will have to do.

You'd sentence someone who committed armed robbery to death?
Original post by ANARCHY__
You'd sentence someone who committed armed robbery to death?

Did I say that?

I was referring to the deterrence argument associated with capital punishment.
Original post by Id and Ego seek
Did I say that?

I was referring to the deterrence argument associated with capital punishment.

Relax. I wasn't implying you did.
Original post by AndroidLight
Another case of American racism against Black people, just like Travon Martin who was killed. Shameful.

lol bite idiots

Oh get real :rolleyes:
The problem here is the bad influences (friends and their criminal activities) > good influences (social care worker) so I don't think they could do much for him if he was still in that negative environment.

I agree, the negative environment is a huge part of the problem. People with these difficulties do not cope in large, depersonalised cities. He needs to be moved out!

I agree with you, something like that sounds good but it's a little unrealistic. There needs to be something done to tackle youth crime which is fueled by income inequality, lack of education, poor parenting etc but this is long-term solutions and generally. I don't think, realistically, something can be done to help this one case.

I don't think it is unrealistic. It's just held back by vindictiveness, the widespread attitude that punishment is more important than reform.

It costs ~£120,000 to put someone in prison, and over £40,000 each year thereafter. Per prisoner.

How much do you think we are spending on social care?

"The average cost per adult aged 18 and over supported in residential care, nursing care or intensively in their own home was £623 in 2010-11"
National statistics personal social services expenditure

That includes some elderly people who require full time nursing care, for crying out loud. I find that quite disgusting (compared to how much is spent on institutionalising people).

If you had to build villages for these people to live in, it would be cheaper than prison. But the public outcry over spending any money on "scum", even if it is by far cheaper in the long run, would be too great. Ignorance, and vindictiveness.

(Not to mention once an ex-convict begins to work, they contribute to the economy and begin to pay back what they have cost, certainly relative to languishing in prison doing nothing productive. Even if prison weren't so expensive, just doing anything to cut our reoffence rates (~50% reoffend after leaving prison) would save immense amounts of money, not to mention the distress caused by crime. Instead of training dysfunctional people to live a normal life without committing crime, we are institutionalising them, stripping them further of the skills which might prevent them reoffending.)

It certainly isn't too late for this young man. If he was shipped out, away from bad influences, his mental and social problems dealt with, and given a job to do - he would never reoffend. Do you disagree?

EDIT: Before anyone gets the wrong idea (I said this in another post) - I don't think prison is unsuitable for absolutely all criminals, just the large majority.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending