The Student Room Group

Nexplanon Reviews?

Scroll to see replies

I would recommend against the nexplanon. I got it on 27th Feb 2012. I started my period on 10th March that year, which then continued for almost 10 months. It left me anaemic and in a bad way.
Reply 21
I've been on Nexplanon since August 2, 2012. I got it inserted the first day of my period. The insertion was easy and not as painful as I thought. I didn't bruise or anything just swelled up. I had my normal period after getting it inserted then was period free for about 2 months. Then I spotted for about 2 1/2 months. It would be random. Sometimes it would be all day spotting or just a few hours. But since then I haven't had anything really just maybe one day a month of spotting. I did have some acne problems in the beginning but that cleared up quickly. As for cramps, that's the main reason I was interested in this because I'm one of the ones that has horrible cramps and this took it all away. Yet, everyone is different!
Reply 22
I had nexoplanon fitted in march 2011, as a form of contraceptive as I had a problem a few weeks before so I knew I needed some form of birth control, I had taken the pill before but I was just so rubbish at remembering to take them so I relied on condoms a lot.

Anyway the implant (nexoplanon) sounded like a good way to go, no pills to remember to take and it works for 3 years, its like a sexual life saver!! So I had it inserted in march 2011. For the first few weeks of it having been fitted I had little side effects like, dizziness and nausea etc but I was told that was normal and would eventually go I was also told that for the first few months I may bleed irregularly or not at all, but I bled nearly everyday for months, at first I left it and put it down to my body just getting used to it as I read in the leaflet that it can take up to a year for your body to fully adjust, so I wasn't too bothered to begin with but I entered a new relationship and due to the bleeding I couldn't have sex and quite frankly I was never in the mood, I had NEVER been like that before. Anyway I told my partner that I would have to wait for the bleeding to stop before we did anything and he was ok with it but months went by and I was STILL bleeding so I had, had enough and went back to my sexual health clinic to find out what to do, I wasn't keen on having it removed because it was so reliable as a contraceptive. I went and saw a nurse who advised I take the pill (yep kind of defeats the object of the implant but hey...) to stop the bleeding which I thought was a bit off but it was the only way I was going to be able to keep the implant.

So I started taking the pill and have been on it ever since, so about a year now and I can control my bleeding but if I DON'T take the pill I bleed constantly again. The past year I just sort of forgot about it and just didn't think about and saw the pill as just another pill to take, I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks which I also take medication for it seems that the implant has made everything worse. I find myself realising that since I had the implant fitted my life has gone a bit lopsided, I have put on weight even though I don't actually eat that much crap stuff, I cant seem to control my anxiety at all and I just feel constantly bleh! So Monday I decided I wanted it removed, I only have a year left of it but I just cant wait that long and it amazes me that I have left it two years.

I wanted an appointment immediately but my local clinic had no appointments available till Friday so I had to make do with that, I'm getting it removed Friday morning and I cant actually wait to see the back of it.

It's a shame because it is a really good form of contraceptive but for some people it just doesn't work for and I am one of them and I just want to say to women who have it fitted and bleed a lot in the first 6 months chances are it wont stop, and it will just play on your mind, so my advice would be get it removed.

I will still have to continue using the pill but it will be a relief to know that the implant isn't there any more to play on my mind, and it would be nice for me to just have a normal period again.
(edited 11 years ago)
I can't offer any personal experience here, but I can show you what people have reported to the FDA, although the numbers are pretty small. Here are the top 10 reported side effects reported to the FDA since 2004 (note the small number, so these need to be taken with a grain of salt):
Device Breakage
4 (4.65%)
Erysipelas
4 (4.65%)
Hypersensitivity
4 (4.65%)
Laceration
4 (4.65%)
Swelling
3 (3.49%)
Aplastic Anaemia
2 (2.33%)
Cellulitis (Skin Infection)
2 (2.33%)
Cerebral Infarction
2 (2.33%)
Cholestasis
2 (2.33%)
Complication Of Device Insertion
2 (2.33%)
Complication Of Device Removal
2 (2.33%)
ive had it for a year, other than irregular periods occasionally, ive had no problems.
Reply 25
Been on it since December, my GP said as I'd been on different hormones in contraceptive pills for 4 years I should be fine with it. I had 1 week of spotting but no pain or cramps. Since then I haven't had a period since on it. I get a bit of an appetite once a month so I suspect this is the time I should have a period.
I got the implanted fitted on my period in November, and about 2 days later I came off and wasn't on for about 3 weeks. I was then on for 2 weeks with a 5 day break, on again for 2 weeks with a 5 day break and so on. It was starting to annoy me so I went back to the clinic the end of January. She gave me the Cerazette pill and it stopped the bleeding for a few weeks which was great but I have been on again now for almost 2 weeks :frown:
I've had mine in for a year and a half!
I've put on no weight apart from a little on my boobs (bonus!)
I would definitely recommend it because you don't have to worry about contraception for a very long time.
MAJOR cons though - (although it's different for everyone) around a month after the implantation I was on a steady period for around 100 days (I was told to keep a "period diary") but since that it's been irregularly on and off but usually very light.
also, I've gotten a lot moodier and short tempered, but that my just be me!
don't let this put you off though its different for everyone :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
I've had mine for a month and it's been brilliant for me! I had a lightish but otherwise fairly normal period that lasted a week and then stopped as it should, and i can't recall any side effects that I have had! The pill gave me spots and mood swings and I kept forgetting it, I generally didn't get on with the pill, I wish I had got nexplanon sooner. The only thing is, and it may be completely unrelated is that in the week I got it I developed a sinus infection, which wasn't nice, but is gone now and is probably nothing to do with nexplanon.
I've had implanon for three years now and I'm due to have it changed for nexplanon tomorrow. I had a heavy bleed at first, and after a fortnight I decided to go to the doc. They prescribed norethisterone which sorted that out. For about 2 years I had no regular periods with the odd spotting now and then. For the last year or so I've been having regular periods. Recently I have had nasty headaches and really bad period pain so I'm having my implant changed a few months early. I was told that sometimes the side effects change as the dosage becomes reduced. I'm a bit nervous about having it changed :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by autonomousAlana
Hi, I have recently had the nexplanon contraceptive implant put in but really I want to know what it was like for you personally, whether it was good or the worst experience of your life.

Hi, this is just purely my opinion after being un-succesful in having the pill because of migraines and then going on the combined pill and having a costant period. I had the implant inserted and it was the worst mistake, before having any contraception I was prone to having periods, but having the implant has been worse than that. This period has been ongoing for 18months, and I am having it removed tomorrow hopefully, and I am considering going on the injection because anything has to be better than what I am now. Honestly, every one is different but if you were succesful on the pill then you'll be happy on the implant if not then I'm unsure on how the implant was for you. I have put 2 stone since on the implant and have been really depressed and down.
Hope your expereince is better and hope this gave you an insight :smile:
I've had it for a week and it stopped my due period from coming, so its definitely looking good here! I would just stick with it because it looks like it works really well for some women and not so well for others, which is a shame because its such a good method of contraception. I chose Nexplanon because I am going to uni in September and my boyfriend is in the army, so it would do well for his visits haha :colondollar:
Having had the implant today I don't understand the panic surrounding the procedure. Having scanned review sites, I went into the doctors' surgery absolutely petrified at the pain I thought I was to face during insertion. It couldn't have been more straight forward, I was in and out of the clinic within ten minutes, the local anasthetic was a tiny pinch, barely noticeable and the implant completely unfelt upon insertion. I now have a bruise but bar this it couldn't have been a more easy, pain-free procedure. This is coming from a complete needle phobe who had sleepless nights worrying in the week leading up to insertion! I can assure anyone worried there is nothing to fear, I am so pleased with the result!
I just wanted to balance out the horror stories on here. Mine has been amazing!

The insertion was quick and completely painless, if you don't look then you won't even know when it's happening. I haven't had a period for an entire year and no bleeding at all. I suffer with mental health problems and the implant has definitely helped to keep my hormones constant and prevent any additional mood swings. Plus I've neither gained or lost weight on it overall. For me it was the best decision.
The pill was making me anxious about having to take it on time, plus having to remember to book appointments for new prescriptions. Also I'm not sexually active all the time and don't have a steady boyfriend so it seemed kind of unnecessary, I just wanted a bit of a safety net.
Now I can relax because whether I decide to have sex or not, I don't have to worry about pregnancy for my whole time at university. For me condoms aren't enough reassurance.

I will definitely be getting it replaced when it's due and will probably continue to have it until I decide to have kids.
Reply 34
Original post by autonomousAlana
Hi, I have recently had the nexplanon contraceptive implant put in but really I want to know what it was like for you personally, whether it was good or the worst experience of your life.

I've had Nexplanon for a little over 3 months now and I've had a constant period because of it which is very annoying, but it varies from light to heavy. Secondly my skin has become a lot spottier, but my doctor said you have to be patient with Nexplanon because it can take 6 months to a year for the horrible symptoms to disappear. The symptoms suck for me but I would rather be using the most effective form of contraception and just wait it out.
I have had this since the end of april, now june 13, i have not had a period at all.

The overall side effects have not been bad, no real headaches, I had a few mood swings in the beginning, not so much anymore.
I like nexplanon so far, just really worried about not having my period yet. Anyone else experience that?
Reply 36
Original post by calvinsmom8807
I have had nexplanon going on almost 2 months now. At first I loved it, I didn't really feel too hormonal aside from some crying here and there like I was still pregnant (just had a baby in october). Well then last month I got my period...first I had a few days of light spotting and that stopped, then a few days later more light spotting and then on the 3rd night I started gushing blood and passed a few clots this didn't let up for 8 more days. I have never had an 11 day period. Mine were always 5 days and very regular. I had also experience irregular cramping and abdomen pains throughout the month and still am this month. However, the biggest issue I am having with this is the hormonal side. I have gone from a fairly happy well-balance person to this raging psychotic person I literally spend most of my day forcing myself to be quiet and not say all the crazy mean thoughts in my head. I have found myself wanting to deliberately attack people and humiliate them and that is not me at all I usually stray from confrontation and stay quiet about someone unless it is to say something positive. But I am finding myself thinking super negatively and getting very easily angered and frustrated. I will give this birth control until I have had it for 6 months and if these feelings and long periods do not improve I am removing it.

I've had exactly the same problem, it doesn't help that my dad gets annoying (as he's not living with us) I've always been supportive of my dad and now I want to pretty much kill him. My hormones have been SO high it's unreal, I snap at everyone and anyone, but apart from the raging hormones everything has been fine :smile:
I got nexplanon inserted and had my period every day for a year, very heavily. I ended up on nexplanon, the pill and norethisterone all at once to try and stop the bleeding before getting it removed. I also got very sweaty and took hot flushes every half hour or so, struggled to lose weight and I was so horny it was unbelievable. It either works for you or it doesn't.
Reply 38
I just had my implant taken out after 9 months. It wasn't bad, I had few side-effects. But I did bleed every day and just couldn't handle it anymore. It's a shame because apart from that and back acne, it was problem free.
Reply 39
I've had mine for a year now and have only had one period since getting it. Although it was a really painful and heavy one, the months of not having any has been great. The only side effects I got was weight gain and mood swings, i put on over a stone :frown: but I would say it is well worth a try since its so easy to get put in and you dont have to think about it at all :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest