The Student Room Group

York or Aston? Please help less that a week to decide

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I am planning to do chemical at Aston next year. Hoping you have good things to say next year. What country you going to leave for? I am leaving after my degree too lol
Reply 21
Original post by bahjat93
I thought you ment foundation year :smile:. I was looking at York to do my Electrical Engineering but they don't offer a year in industry so i didn't apply but i regret it now :frown:.
I'm doing near enough the same degree as you so i'd recommend York over Aston just because of the prestige, York is a very good university.

Where are you going instead?

Yeah think I'll just go for York. It is much cheaper and looking around the website seems like I'd just enjoy the campus life there more than Aston.

What course did you apply for then? EEE?
Reply 22
Original post by Tackla
I am planning to do chemical at Aston next year. Hoping you have good things to say next year. What country you going to leave for? I am leaving after my degree too lol

Anywhere but here really :biggrin:

Drawn towards NZ or Australia because of the pay. However I'll settle for anywhere really. After my degree I plan on sort of globetrotting, hope to settle in Canada though, snowy winters and sunny summers...the way it should be :smile:

Well I think I'm going to go to York, finance playing a major role in that choice though. However Aston would be a good choice. Read today they are 17th in the ranking for most targeted universities by the largest companies.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
I would've gone for York, but it's not really an easy choice !
Reply 24
Original post by bestofyou
Anywhere but here really :biggrin:

Drawn towards NZ or Australia because of the pay. However I'll settle for anywhere really. After my degree I plan on sort of globetrotting, hope to settle in Canada though, snowy winters and sunny summers...the way it should be :smile:

Well I think I'm going to go to York, finance playing a major role in that choice though. However Aston would be a good choice. Read today they are 17th in the ranking for most targeted universities by the largest companies.

I heard Engineers in America get very good pay. You might want to think about that too. Thanks for that advice about Aston.
Reply 25
I have narrowed my offers down to York and Aston but have no idea which to go for. It is for Electonic Engineering at York and Electrical and Electronic Engineering at Aston.

Brimingham will be easier to get to, probably better nightlife being a bigger city as well. Plus Aston is in the top 20 of targeted universities by the largest employers. Not that it really matters to me since I don't plan on staying in the UK after my degree.

York is probably a nicer city and looks like a much nicer campus. As it is a campus uni the nightlife is probably what you make it anyway. Teaching quality seems better which is quite important however they only offer EE not EEE.

Any advice on which to go for?

I know you are leaning towards York. But did you get an interview when you applied for Aston? In UCAS website it doesnt say if Aston invite you for interview or not.
Reply 26
Original post by Tackla
I know you are leaning towards York. But did you get an interview when you applied for Aston? In UCAS website it doesnt say if Aston invite you for interview or not.

No, didn't have an interview. I was a late applicant however and had all my qualifications completed. Not sure if that makes a difference to them or not though.
Reply 27
Original post by Smack

I know you did mechanical but you might know anyway. Can I apply for jobs that ask for Electrical Engineers with a degree in Electronics?

I'm not just how interchangeable these terms are. I mean I've seen postgrad courses in Electrical that ask for an undergrad in Electronics and some people I know tell me they study Electrical Eng. but when I check out the course their uni only offers electronics.
Reply 28
Where are you going instead?

Yeah think I'll just go for York. It is much cheaper and looking around the website seems like I'd just enjoy the campus life there more than Aston.

What course did you apply for then? EEE?

Hertfordshire, i'm doing Electronics Engineering with communications so EE.
It's not a very prestigious University but i did get expected into some very good ones, Loughborough, Sheffield and Nottingham being an example but they didn't offer the placement year.
I'd go with York to m8, last year it was ranked 8th for EEE :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by bahjat93
Hertfordshire, i'm doing Electronics Engineering with communications so EE.
It's not a very prestigious University but i did get expected into some very good ones, Loughborough, Sheffield and Nottingham being an example but they didn't offer the placement year.
I'd go with York to m8, last year it was ranked 8th for EEE :smile:

Are you going straight to first year or the foundation year?

Yeah think I'll probably just go to York.

I wouldn't worry too much about Herts not being the most prestigious uni since prestige doesn't matter so much for engineering.
Reply 30
Are you going straight to first year or the foundation year?

Yeah think I'll probably just go to York.

I wouldn't worry too much about Herts not being the most prestigious uni since prestige doesn't matter so much for engineering.

I don't have to do a foundation year, my subjects matched my course :smile:.
It's pretty close to where i live so if i get home sick i can come home asap lol and if anyone says that i wasn't smart enough to get into a better Uni i can show them my GCSE grades and hopefully my A level grades to :smile:.
I know you did mechanical but you might know anyway. Can I apply for jobs that ask for Electrical Engineers with a degree in Electronics?

I'm not just how interchangeable these terms are. I mean I've seen postgrad courses in Electrical that ask for an undergrad in Electronics and some people I know tell me they study Electrical Eng. but when I check out the course their uni only offers electronics.

I don't know to be honest. Even when I was an EEE applicant I never considered that there might be courses which only focus one electrical or electronics. If they're both accredited by the IET then it probably won't matter.
Reply 32
Original post by Smack
I don't know to be honest. Even when I was an EEE applicant I never considered that there might be courses which only focus one electrical or electronics. If they're both accredited by the IET then it probably won't matter.

I thought EEE courses where IEEE and the Electronics courses where IET? Just what I thought, good chance I'm totally wrong though.
YORK! It is a much better university! :biggrin:
Original post by Bill_Gates
Aston is a far better uni than York.

So ridiculous !!

York is part of Russell Group University , Sutton trust (first 13 universities that are hardest to get into) , N8 (leading universities in the North of UK).

Moreover, York has consistently been ranked top ten in the UK and top 100 in the world for many consecutive years.

Current ranking
York : 12,13,15,16
Aston : 27,30,36,41 (much lower !!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Holby_fanatic
YORK! It is a much better university! :biggrin:

I totally agree ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good work reviving a year old thread and contributing exactly nothing :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Prospective UK
So ridiculous !!

York is part of Russell Group University , Sutton trust (first 13 universities that are hardest to get into) , N8 (leading universities in the North of UK).

Moreover, York has consistently been ranked top ten in the UK and top 100 in the world for many consecutive years.

Current ranking
York : 12,13,15,16
Aston : 27,30,36,41 (much lower !!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL Aston choose not to be in it. Look at graduate prospects where it matters.

Quick Reply

Latest