The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Well most of the online applications I've done ask for explicit unit names and results. Having said that, I didn't get a spectacular grade for my first year and still got my first choice placement, this may be because my second year grades were much better. I think they use it to gauge whether or not you're likely to get a first, or a high 2:1.
cheerfulsakib
How important are first year university results in determining whether or not you get an internship in your 2nd year?

My housemate doing LSE Economics with GCSE 10A*, AS 6A, A2 4A was rejected without interview from ABN because he just missed a 2.1 in 1st year. With so many applicants it's quite an easy discriminant, though I know quite a lot who got 2.2/3rd, explained in interview they didn't work hard enough etc and got good internships.
cheerfulsakib
How important are first year university results in determining whether or not you get an internship in your 2nd year?

It does help to get good results - but as you know, the year ahead of you at UCL did pretty miserably in their first year and have done quite fine in their internship stuff.

(because we were the last year where the first year wouldn't count and being economists, took the incentive signal appropriately - ie. down to Cheapskates instead of doing assignments on Wednesday night)

Worth noting that of the top 3 economists at UCL for grades, the two who applied for banking internships do not have ones lined up, one has been rejected from all of them. The other is going to E&Y (although he was never that keen on banking) but was generally quite successful in doing applications because he wasn't completely bookish (unlike the other two, at least, from what I know of them).

Meanwhile, quite a few people with 2.2s have managed to get front office positions (American and European banks) with bulge bracket banks (and as you might expect, a number of back office ones too).
Incentive, sounds like my year in Physics actually. We were the last year where labs don't form part of your final class, including the short option paper you can use to substitute them. They effectively told me that 1) You only need to pass your 2nd short option 2) We're stopping that because... erm... its in no way too easy compared to labs.
Reply 5
so they dont normally ask you for each module result? They just ask 'did you get a 2.1'?
ssssb1
so they dont normally ask you for each module result? They just ask 'did you get a 2.1'?

American banks tend to ask for module results. Europeans tend not to.
Probably because across the pond undergrad degrees are continuously assessed, I guess they're used to what they're used to.

Latest

Trending

Trending