The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

-42-
Okay, now I am slightly worried - what is RSI? I have fairly good finger speed also because i play the flute and play quite a lot of sport, I think it helps to start off with although I don't really know of any special technique (I do use all of my fingers+thumbs though).

Repetitive Strain Injury.
Reply 21
Get some software and learn from there although I expect it will be hard to get away from your current typing habits.
I basically just used to use the computer alot so I have basically a mapped out keyboard in my head... simple as that really, if you have that you can touch type.

Practice is all it is, no need for those stupid programs, wont get you there any faster
Reply 23
I don't touch type, I just type without looking at the keyboard, I know exactly where each letter is, and often start typing out the words that I'm thinking in my head, subconsciously.

Didn't do any courses, and I don't care if I'm not using my little fingers to type at all. The only thing I use my right little finger for is the shift key, and the only thing I use my left little finger for is tab/capslock.

It's all a matter of practice.
You can get some programs to teach you in a few weeks. But when you've been using keyboards regulary for going on ten years, your fingers just know where all the keys are. I'm sure the rest of the geeks will agree with me :smile:
If you're used to using a computer, just try typing without looking, you might suprise yourself.
Reply 25
Yup, just visualise in your head where each key is for the word you're typing, if you're new to the whole "looking away" thing. It impresses some people when you're still typing, and looking sideways at them at the same time.
KSpin
Yup, just visualise in your head where each key is for the word you're typing, if you're new to the whole "looking away" thing. It impresses some people when you're still typing, and looking sideways at them at the same time.

Lol, people used to be impressed when i did that to them like 5 years ago.
Now everyone in my computing class can touchtype.
Reply 27
shinytoy
not sure if this is the right forum - can anyone do it? can you teach yourself? how long does it take to learn and any hints

My touch typing speed is around 120 wpm. Just boils down to practice.
Reply 28
I learned to touch type through playing online games. As a result I can type rather fast with just my left hand (including all combinations!). However, I don't type with the "maximum efficiency" that one would if learning to type from software; but I make up for it with raw dexterity :p:
Reply 29
Mavis Beacon is the way forward. I learnt it about 5 years ago and haven't looked back since.

My only bad technique is to use the left shift key at all times, instead of using the right-shift key when I need to. I can't really change it that much now, but it doesn't really matter because having it only really affects my typing speed when I'm typing A,Z, | and Q.
Reply 30
I never even thought of it as a skill until someone at uni remarked that I was typing without looking at the keyboard...I was like..er yeah, so what lol.
Reply 31
pianist
learn the piano.

maybe best if you took it one step at a time? :p:
Reply 32
Practice is the key, i have just started touch typing and i'm doing very well :P
I can type really fast when i am looking at the keyboard, i know where the letters are, but when touch typing you gotta know exactly where the letters and the keys are.
i can touch type but it took some time. only learnt coz my dad kinda told me to wen i was about 8years old and spent the whole of the easter holidays learning >< cant say i regret it, its perhaps one of the best things to learn in life esp wen it comes to coursework and late night homeworks when you're burning the midnight oil lol there are some good software programs out in the shops -- i did the fun ones aimed at little kiddies **hay! i was a little kid!**

Latest

Trending

Trending