The Student Room Group

Career change to Accountancy - advice pls?!

Evening all,

I am seriously considering a career to Accountancy and I would very much appreciate any advice/experiences you guys can share with me.

I am in my early 30's and currently work as a Web Developer with a lot of database work. My career history to date has been in I.T. and I DO NOT have a degree. I have thought this decision through and my reasons for wanting a change are very good so I am comfortable in making the change.

I am still reading up on the different areas of the industry and where each path could lead me, but at the same time as doing this I would very like your specific answers too. Okay, so I've listed some questions/areas that I would like advice on:

1) What qualification should I take (AAT, ACCA, CIMA, ACA)?
a) the specific career path each will lead me to?
b) the qualification that is most demanded currently?
c) is the industry leaning towards a particular qualification for the future?
d) will not having a degree dictate/limit which qualification I go for?

2) What is the best way to enter the industry?
a) look for a junior position with study support straight off?
b) look for a junior that doesn't have study support but then with 1 years experience look for a position that does provide study support?
c) study the foundation level exams through my own cost but, hopefully, get study support for the intermediate and advanced level exams?
d) is there a particular company I should look to start off with?
e) a good method of home study (CBTs, books)?

As you can see I have listed a number of questions here and I am still reading into the subject, but it will be a lot quicker if I just ask the questions.

Not having a degree is penalising me in the employment world but having a recognised Accountancy qualification will hopefully put that restriction behind me (i.e. if you study a Accountancy degree you still don't end up an Accountant).

Any good advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by agm1
x

I can't answer all your questions but i'll kick things off.

ACA/ACCA is what you will study in practice (with an accountancy firm)

CIMA is what you will study in the finance department of a company (eg Shell)

However with ACA and ACCA you can still move into industry upon qualification.

AAT is different in that you don't become chartered and it's level based, covering the more practical elements of accounting in level 2. For example AAT covers Sage which is the software small businesses do their accounts on.

The most sought after qualification is probably the ACA, it's the qualification that most of the largest accountancy firms provide their trainees.

Not having a degree will limit you, because most accountancy firms (firms rather than companies make up the majority of training providers) look for a degree on their entry requirements. I'll leave it to someone else to advise on how to get around that.

The best way to start is probably stick with your job and get some qualifications behind you. You can study AAT through home learning, though depending on how far you get this will probably only get you entry at the basic level and finding a company that will want to train you beyond there could be hit or miss.

I don't know if any of that will actually help but hope so!
Reply 2
Although it's aimed at school leavers you may find this useful

http://careers.icaew.com/school-students-leavers/Entry-routes
http://careers.icaew.com/school-students-leavers/Entry-routes/School-leaver

Although it's specifically ACA I think the other bodies are probably similar. Now I should say that website is really aimed at people that have finished school and want to go straight into practice rather than university and pitches at routes like the Big 4 school leaver routes. They put you through AAT/a degree and then into the ACA. This isn't necessarily the right route for you.

There are plenty of routes into finance roles that don't require the qualification, people like AR and AP clerks etc aren't qualified. This would probably come down to a discussion with your employer as to what level of support they were willing to offer you (a friend of mine decided she wanted to do ACCA, I think her employer agreed to fund it and give her study leave as although it wasn't directly relevant to her job it gave her the potential to move into a position it did help in the firm). What you can get from employers will vary widely I suspect and it would need to meet your and their needs really.

If they're not supporting you it will be very difficult, you need at least the study leave and don't want to use all of your holiday allowance just to get through exams if you can avoid it.
Original post by monk_keys

Not having a degree will limit you, because most accountancy firms (firms rather than companies make up the majority of training providers) look for a degree on their entry requirements. I'll leave it to someone else to advise on how to get around that.

I can answer this.

Probably not ideal for someone OPs age but the only way really is to go in for an admin role, pass some exams off your own back (salary to pay for exams/study materials, annual leave to revise), make contacts/suck up to senior people and then go for a proper role once you're part-qualified or close.

Tbh with your IT experience (and i'm assuming qualifications?) you could probably go in as IT support or something and then work your way into practice staff through the same passing exams on your own route. You'll have to be really determined to pass exams on your own though, it's not easy.
Reply 4
Hi agm1

Disclosure: I work for AAT, which can provide exemptions if you decide to move into Chartered Accountancy. I can't answer all your questions but I'll provide a few pointers and links to more info, etc.

In terms of looking for work, if you were to study AAT it would be in your interests to try and find a position while you study, even if it's part-time or voluntary at the weekends. The qualification is designed to help you develop practical skills as well as the theory stuff; so for this reason it's beneficial to find yourself in a position where you can start to apply this knowledge in a real-world setting.

The other reason it's worth trying to get work experience is that when you qualify and look to move into accountancy full-time, employers will look for experience. Many students seem to think that completing a qualification gives them a licence to walk into a job, not realising that there will usually be someone who has made more effort than them, and spent their spare time gaining hands-on experience, etc.

I think an advantage of your situation, in a way, is your age: you're making a big life decision because you're clearer now about what you want; and you've been working for a number of years so you know the work ethic involved in making a success of your career. This maturity is something a lot of younger students don't have (which isn't really their fault, it takes time to mature to that stage). AAT has lots of members who changed direction in their career (here's one, for example) and it's great to see their successes alongside those of school-leavers.

Anyway, I'll stop rabbiting and offer some links for more info/help on the AAT front:

- Some techniques for finding the latest accounting vacancies
- AAT's discussion forums, where you can ask questions of experienced members and search for relevant conversations
- Order a free info pack/chat with an advisor
- An article on what to consider when it comes to distance learning; and another on changing career
- AAT on Facebook, where students ask/answer questions daily

Best of luck whichever route you choose!

Stuart
Reply 5
Original post by agm1
Evening all,

I am seriously considering a career to Accountancy and I would very much appreciate any advice/experiences you guys can share with me.

I am in my early 30's and currently work as a Web Developer with a lot of database work. My career history to date has been in I.T. and I DO NOT have a degree. I have thought this decision through and my reasons for wanting a change are very good so I am comfortable in making the change.

I am still reading up on the different areas of the industry and where each path could lead me, but at the same time as doing this I would very like your specific answers too. Okay, so I've listed some questions/areas that I would like advice on:

1) What qualification should I take (AAT, ACCA, CIMA, ACA)?

a) the specific career path each will lead me to?
AAT - a really good foundation in accountancy. Offers many exemptions to ACCA, CIMA and ACA.
Also if you achieve AAT, companies seem more confident that you'll continue studying.

Its a great stepping stone, and a good qualification on its own anyhow! Its NVQ Level 4 which isn't far away from the same level as a degree.
c) is the industry leaning towards a particular qualification for the future?
If you want to work in an accountancy firm - KPMG, Deloittes e.t.c then ACA or ACCA.
If you want to work for one company, then CIMA.
I've seen a lot of accountants who've started out in Practice eventually go an work for businesses.
What do you want to do at the end of the day - tax? Financial Statements? (ACA/ACCA) Or do you want to work with the business, helping to make decisions and influence strategy (CIMA)

d) will not having a degree dictate/limit which qualification I go for?
No. Although I find that organisations that want you to be ACA qualified are usually education snobs, and want you to have a degree as well.

Although it is worth noting, that with both ACCA and CIMA, when you get to a certain level of study you can actually get a lot of credits towards a degree. So you could get one eventually!!! :smile: Look at this from CIMA -

http://www.cimaglobal.com/Study-with-us/Combining-CIMA-with-degrees/Manchester-Metropolitan-University/

2) What is the best way to enter the industry?
a) look for a junior position with study support straight off?
b) look for a junior that doesn't have study support but then with 1 years experience look for a position that does provide study support?
c) study the foundation level exams through my own cost but, hopefully, get study support for the intermediate and advanced level exams?
d) is there a particular company I should look to start off with?
e) a good method of home study (CBTs, books)?

I started work in accountancy at 17 - I got a job which promised study support. They didn't give it to me as promised. SO I went elsewhere. I found that all of my jobs, but my first one, were very happy to give me study support.

If I had to do it all again, I would do the same - take any job I could that had a decent job description, try to get study and keep moving until I got what I wanted.

As you can see I have listed a number of questions here and I am still reading into the subject, but it will be a lot quicker if I just ask the questions.

Not having a degree is penalising me in the employment world but having a recognised Accountancy qualification will hopefully put that restriction behind me (i.e. if you study a Accountancy degree you still don't end up an Accountant).

Get accountancy qualified, and a degree! :smile: Go for both! Did you know, that once you are CIMA qualified, you can study for an MBA too. I think that you have to complete a couple of papers.

Whilst I'm here - you having IT skills is a massive benefit because obviously gone are the days of accountants using T accounts and paper!

I think having IT skills lends you well to going down the CIMA route and trying to work for a company.

Any good advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

My most important advice, is to get as much experience as you can - Accounts Payable, Recievable, Banking, Payroll, Management Accounting, Financial Accounting, Commercial Support, Project work. Do anything! Don't be fussy in the first few years. Have no shame - keep moving jobs if you have to.

Why?

I am in my mid 20's. I started work at 17 in accountancy. I have no degree. I did my AAT, and I'm a CIMA Finalist. I've never been unemployed. I've not gone a year without a payrise. I've not paid a thing towards my education.

The girl that sits next to me, she's 1 year younger. She has a great finance degree (and the debt to match). She's 1 exam behind me. We're of equal intelligence. This is her first job though - it took her so long to find one.

I am paid £13k more than her. I have no debt. I'm considered more senior than her - simply because of my varied experience.

Don't be afraid of not having a degree - because you could get yourself one in the next few years. Hell you could have an MBA! :biggrin: Just be smart about it, don't let anyone tell you no.

Now, I don't love accountancy at all. I'd rather work as a web developer! But I cannot deny that its been a good career choice when its come to income and stability.

I started off working for a small company being paid £9k, who lied to me, I now work for one of the biggest most respected companies in the world and I'm paid pretty well.

YOU CAN DO IT! :smile:

Nat
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Can I just say, that when i started out I wanted to work for Practice as well.

But I'm so glad I didn't - it might pay well, but its not all its cracked up to be. I've asked colleagues who used to do it/auditors and I get a similar story.

There's usually a lot of travelling, a lot of team building (nights out of excessive drinking might seem fun to begin with but my friend says it takes its toll), it can be quite lonely if you do something that is very client facing as you don't work with the same people and are at different companies all the time.

I also hear that if you don't pass your exams first time, that you get fired or ruin promotion opportunites! It seems intense.

I've also come across quite a few auditors who don't have the technical working knowledge that I do (AAT, thanks for that!).

Why put yourself through that, when most practice accountants aspire to go work for companies anyhow? Honestly I'd choose working for a private company any day now. I am glad that I didn't have the degree that the Big 4 would have wanted. Its saved me a few years of misery!

Nat

x
Reply 7
Always good to have a different perspective.
Reply 8
Passing ACCA or ACA exam. is not easy. You will be working (over 40 hours per week) and studying at the same time. Don't quit your job, try to study for AAT to see if you can cope with the exam.

Of course, no one said you need to have a degree to be an accountant but it's unlikely to be the ACA route.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 9
Original post by Natalie3

But I'm so glad I didn't - it might pay well, but its not all its cracked up to be. I've asked colleagues who used to do it/auditors and I get a similar story.

There's usually a lot of travelling, a lot of team building (nights out of excessive drinking might seem fun to begin with but my friend says it takes its toll), it can be quite lonely if you do something that is very client facing as you don't work with the same people and are at different companies all the time.

I also hear that if you don't pass your exams first time, that you get fired or ruin promotion opportunites! It seems intense.

I've also come across quite a few auditors who don't have the technical working knowledge that I do (AAT, thanks for that!).

Why put yourself through that, when most practice accountants aspire to go work for companies anyhow? Honestly I'd choose working for a private company any day now. I am glad that I didn't have the degree that the Big 4 would have wanted. Its saved me a few years of misery!

Nat

x

How can anyone who never been to uni or worked for the Big 4 made this kind of comment !!

I had fantastic time at uni. and thanks for the Big4, I am now ACA qualified, got my own apartment and earning decent income.

Working as an auditor, you get to know people and build your contact list.

I rest my case.
Reply 10

Nat

x

1) This first bold paragraph summarises many of the reasons people choose Audit in big firms. Nights out (paid for), client facing, travel, build contacts etc.

2) Are you suggesting that AAT gives more technical knowledge then ACA? :confused:

3) Practice accountants choose to apply to competitive positions in top accountancy firms for the career prospects. If they aspired to work for companies straight off the bat then they would apply for companies.

4) While I appreciate you're trying to promote an alternate route (which is perfectly viable), I do wonder how you can make comments about the top accountancy firms in the world without having worked there?
Reply 11
Well I think quite a lot of people end up in practice due to circumstances:

(i) There seems to be a lot more vacancies open compared to commerce.

(ii) Barriers to entry - practices seem to be more willing to take on people with zero experience. In industry, I notice that every other junior level role requires you to have at least six months accounts experience, knowledge of particular accounting packages, and maybe even experience of working in a particular industry.

As for audit, everyone knows it's tough, but it's a good learning experience. There aren't that many other junior level jobs that allow you to go into lots of different companies, looking through their dirty laundry, and talk to senior finance personnel.
Personally, I agree that travelling is a pain - I just wish I was able to work on only a few clients a year rather than working with a new client every one or two weeks.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12

It's a sacrifice, the rewards are very, very good if you survive! Qualify in practice, leave and get a job as a reporting accountant for £50k p.a. in London. I know someone that has landed a similar role after completing AAT-ACA at the age of 23! I'm extremely jealous.
Reply 13

Nat

x

I know this isn't supposed to be a thread about pros and cons of Big 4, however:

There's an element of truth to this, especially I found in the third year of my trainee programme at a Big 4. I have now qualified and moved up and it is far less true having done that, more time in the office and working more closely with your peer group.

But, I do admit some of what is written above is fair. The difficulties of the Big 4 are well known, long hours, lots of travelling, stressful etc.

There is a balance to that though. As an assistant manager I am paid well it's true. I feel secure in my job. Performance is really well recognised - I recently got vouchers for bringing in additional work at one of my clients.

Last week I had meetings with the Director of Finance, Director of Operations, Medical Director and Director of Workforce at my internal audit client. Some were one to one, some with a manager as well. It's fantastic exposure and networking with very senior people, all of whom I've got good relationships with.

And my job is varied and interesting, which it wouldn't be in practice. I do different things every week, I've got 3 different internal audits in different stages of progress at one client, two charity external audits about to kick off and a university external audit in planning. Safe to say I'm not bored.
Reply 14
Original post by 86501
I know this isn't supposed to be a thread about pros and cons of Big 4, however:

There's an element of truth to this, especially I found in the third year of my trainee programme at a Big 4. I have now qualified and moved up and it is far less true having done that, more time in the office and working more closely with your peer group.

But, I do admit some of what is written above is fair. The difficulties of the Big 4 are well known, long hours, lots of travelling, stressful etc.

There is a balance to that though. As an assistant manager I am paid well it's true. I feel secure in my job. Performance is really well recognised - I recently got vouchers for bringing in additional work at one of my clients.

Last week I had meetings with the Director of Finance, Director of Operations, Medical Director and Director of Workforce at my internal audit client. Some were one to one, some with a manager as well. It's fantastic exposure and networking with very senior people, all of whom I've got good relationships with.

And my job is varied and interesting, which it wouldn't be in practice. I do different things every week, I've got 3 different internal audits in different stages of progress at one client, two charity external audits about to kick off and a university external audit in planning. Safe to say I'm not bored.

For the majority of your post it sounded like you were still working in practice until the last paragraph? :confused:
Reply 15
Original post by poony
How can anyone who never been to uni or worked for the Big 4 made this kind of comment !!

I had fantastic time at uni. and thanks for the Big4, I am now ACA qualified, got my own apartment and earning decent income.

Working as an auditor, you get to know people and build your contact list.

I rest my case.

You rest what case?

Oh dear. If we're going to go down the silly route and play life bingo then I too have had a very good time in my youth, having been able to live alone and do what i wanted (debt free) from the age of 18. And I bought my own flat when I was 20. Except I sold that for large house. I'm not even qualified yet...Hahaha! :tongue:

Seriously though, daftness aside, I can ask you the same thing - how are you, having never gone straight into industry and studied whilst working - able to make your kind of comments?

I wasn't intentionally having a dig at people who work in practice.

Like I said, I tried to get in the game myself when I was 18. It seemed 'glamourous'. Deloittes HR showed a bit of interest in me because of my experience and the cheek of me challenging them about the whole 'no degree, no get in' attitude, but by that point their trainee salary was less than what I earnt anyway.

When i started out, I was advised by my dads friend - an ACA qualified person working in practice - to not expect much from my career without a good degree. I wasn't a traditional fit. He thought I should go into selling.

But he was wrong!

So I was just promoting that the traditional way isn't always the right way for everyone, nor is it necessarily the best. You have to make your own decisions, not listen to others opinions too heavily.

To me, the whole point of becoming a qualified accountant is to:

1. Earn good money
2. Be good at what you do.

You need to know what kind of accountancy you want to do. I wanted to work with people within a business and make an impact on real business decisions.

You can't make much of an impact if you don't have a trusting relationship with that business, so to gain that true trust I stayed in industry working for just 1 company.

I'm not saying that the way I did it was the best for everyone, but if I compare myself to other accountants who want to do the same as me of a similar age, it seems to have been a far better choice.

I have great experience, i have no student debt, I've lived an independent life longer and do that without the pressures people face working for a large practice.

The pressures of having to pass first time, the pressures of having to fit in and act a certain way, that constant grapple to get to the top.

I would personally find it lonely in some practice fields. My work mates are like family. I know our auditors face, but I can't remember his name. He's very friendly, acts like a long lost pal, but I doubt he knows much about me either. I find that false, but it's something he just has to do as part of his job. If he wakes up feeling a bit unwell or is sad about something, he can't show that. He can't come in looking a bit less groomed and have a chat with us over a coffee before getting on with the day. For me personally, I'd feel frustrated if I had to be on show like that a lot of the time. I'd have gone into sales if I liked that kind of lifestyle.

Also the education/background attitude that is prevalent in some large accountancy practices and indeed my dads friend.
When i considered moving, i wondered would i spend my career telling people my educational stats and them judging me poorly by me not being of the same background? Rather than rating me on my working skill?

Not everyone in this country is able to go I to university. I had to support my family. When you start work, it is very hard to go back into full time education. But that not so privileged start to my adult life doesn't make me less of a great accountant, networker or business person than someone who's been able to do the 'normal' route. Indeed I've worked hard having to work and study.

I would say though, in my personal opinion, that in big firms how well you do at work is quite heavily dependant on self promotion as well as skill. People's perceptions of you.

If you end up in a firm which rates education and background very highly, and you don't have those stats, then to stand out from the other trainees you will need to be amazingly skilled at either networking or your actual job or both really to level the playing fields.

I would argue though that in industry where you work with the same people at the same desk every day, that it is understood that education isn't always an idicator of a fantastic accountant. Your boss will see daily how you perform after all.

I've come across some great people from big 4 practices. I've also come across some who didn't even understand what a prepayment was! I mean for heavens sake, that is basic. But I guess how could he really get a feel for it when he might have never done it himself, hands on.

Thats one of the reasons I like the AAT - its a qualification that doesn't just look at theory, it's very practical and hands on. It's a qualification on its own and a solid foundation. A good route in. You have to get experience too to qualify.

I get all of the benefits of networking inside my firm, the CPD events I go on, the students I'm studying with and the recruitment agents that i've used over the years. We do get to go out drinking as well if that appeals. The company pays, they're quite generous. Not all are though. But if I don't feel like going out 1 night, I don't have to go. I won't damage any client or working relationships if I'm not game, because I get to see my colleagues and 'clients' every day at the office.

So there are some of the benefits I see.

The original poster isn't a young junior. I personally think the lifestyle and the pay and the barriers he'd face wouldn't make it worth it to him to try to go down the practice route at all.

With him being already being skilled in IT and marketing (web development) he'd probably be great working for a company who sells web development. Or being a management accountant, so helping a business analyse information and make decisions.

To me, that means a CIMA route is obvious.

Definately ask the company you currently work for if you can do a secondmemt to finance for say 1 day a week. Just tell them you're curious. The experience would help your CV, it would help you to see if it's what you want to do, and your company would benefit from a non finance person perspective/ you gaining a finance perspective.

Thanks,

Natalie
Reply 16
Original post by 86501

This is very true and a good point - and why I tried to get into practice. The variety and exposure, the business decision making.

You can achieve this by working in industry too though. If you find yourself a big, progressive company and you let management know that you're team player then the world is you oyster haha.

In the last 3 years i've had 3 jobs in the same company, I've worked with different departments, I've been part of acquisitions, mergers, divestitures, new system implementation, restructures. I've even done event planning, employee welfare, CSR and communication committees so not just finance things.

To get into those kind of companies you need to have a good proven track record because they expect you to hit the ground running and be multi purpose. Education is less important, attitude and experience more so.

This is why I say do what you can where you can. If you're not the kind of person who takes self development into your own hands then a training scheme would be goods sit gives you guidance.

But if you are able to push yoursef along and plan your path, you can go as far as your spirit pushes you.

Natalie
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by M1011
1) This first bold paragraph summarises many of the reasons people choose Audit in big firms. Nights out (paid for), client facing, travel, build contacts etc.

2) Are you suggesting that AAT gives more technical knowledge then ACA? :confused:

3) Practice accountants choose to apply to competitive positions in top accountancy firms for the career prospects. If they aspired to work for companies straight off the bat then they would apply for companies.

4) While I appreciate you're trying to promote an alternate route (which is perfectly viable), I do wonder how you can make comments about the top accountancy firms in the world without having worked there?

Good points again;

2) ACA is a great qualification. I'm saying that AAT starts you off on a good thorough path -literally, when i did one of my exams, I had to highlight what was wrong with an example invoice. No date, no VAT, no description. Does that happen in the early levels of ACA? Guessing not as the entry route is usually a degree? AAT starts with an NVQ level 2, it is very basic to begin with, but such a solid base as a beginner.

4) My comments have come from what I've heard from people working in practice. I was curious about getting in to it, so I always used to ask people what it was like working where they did. 6 people i asked summed it up, with no bias from me. All of the people had similar experience re the pressures. 4 with the forced social aspect, 4 with the lonliness. 3 wanted to work in industry. The happiest person was a P2P consultant. The rest auditors. Obviously I've not worked there so that's where my info came from.

You bought a flat when you were 18!!??

How did you manage that one?
Reply 19
I think she said age 20. It's definitely possible if you live with parents for two years whilst working full time, you can save up a big fat deposit. I'm not sure where Nat lives, but let's just say we're considering a £80,000 flat up north, then a 10% deposit is definitely achievable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending