The Student Room Group

I have failed my A levels, what now?

I took AS Level Maths, Physics, Computing and English Lit and I got DUUU (the D in English) I feel absolutely depressed right now because I thought I would at least pass three of them and I feel I let my family down too. I'm now wondering what would be the best option to do to possible go on to University, whether it be different A Levels, Advanced Apprenticeship, BTEC, College etc. I really wanted to do Computer Science and my GCSE's were 11 (A-C) GCSE's with A in R.E, B in Business, French, Double ICT, Maths, English Language, and C in Double Science, English Lit. and Systems.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DanAmjad
I took Maths, Physics, Computing and English Lit and I got DUUU (the D in English) I feel absolutely depressed right now because I thought I would at least pass three of them and I feel I let my family down too. I'm now wondering what would be the best option to do to possible go on to University, whether it be different A Levels, Advanced Apprenticeship, BTEC, College etc. I really wanted to do Computer Science and my GCSE's were 11 (A-C) GCSE's with A in R.E, B in Business, French, Double ICT, Maths, English Language, and C in Double Science, English Lit. and Systems.

Hi,

Sorry you've had a bad time today :frown: were these your AS levels or your A2s?

I can give you more specific support when I know what your status is :smile:

You won't have let your family down, I imagine all they want is the best option for you. There's loads of options available to you even if they're not the obvious ones that you first thought about or are the most obvious.
Reply 2
Hey sorry for not making that clear, they were my AS results.
Reply 3
AS results? Not a problem. 3 years ago when I took my AS, I had DEU. Switched it around to AABa the following year.
Reply 4
Don't worry it isn't over yet. I had a bad time in my first year and it showed in my grades but I managed to turn it around and get acceptable A2s. If you really focus, work hard and resit the neccessary exams you can come out of the second year with good grades.
Reply 5
Original post by DanAmjad
I took AS Level Maths, Physics, Computing and English Lit and I got DUUU (the D in English) I feel absolutely depressed right now because I thought I would at least pass three of them and I feel I let my family down too. I'm now wondering what would be the best option to do to possible go on to University, whether it be different A Levels, Advanced Apprenticeship, BTEC, College etc. I really wanted to do Computer Science and my GCSE's were 11 (A-C) GCSE's with A in R.E, B in Business, French, Double ICT, Maths, English Language, and C in Double Science, English Lit. and Systems.

Listen mate,
IMO the best possible thing for you to do is to redo Year 12, as you know most of the stuff and you can blaze the year ahead of you, you have all year to revise. Forget what your friends etc may think, it's about YOU.

Then you have good AS, beast your A2 and apply - the EXaCT same thing as a gap year but much less stressful as you don't resit everything in 1 year along with a2 exams.

Good Luck
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Resitting year 12 is probably the best option for you right now.
The momentum will be with you to turn it around and you know exactly what to expect.

I've had friends also bail out and attend college to study alternative courses which, in all honestly, didn't work out for them. A lot of them then ended up being 2 years behind the rest of us.

Not to say that that isn't a valid option but I guess that it just depends on the kind of person you are. If you believe you can pick yourself up and turn it around then resitting the year will probably be a good shout. I highly doubt that you'd be the only person to do this, too!
Reply 7
Hi guys, ive resitted AS level and failed again. I now know A Level's arnt for me and I would love to go into IT and into a big company. Any ideas?
Reply 8
Re-taking Year 12 is the best option in the circumstances although it really depends as there are always alternative options. You say you want to do Computer Science, give your AS Levels another shot by re-taking them all. You have to up your game enough as it is at AS Level, A2s are something else. Give them another shot and if it still doesn't work out by the end then maybe you would be better off looking for an alternative pathway.
Reply 9
Hey I failed mine as well, I got EEU which is awful considering I did well at my gcse... 6 form won't allow me back in.. So im trying to get work experience at a few large companies such as kpmg, saatchi and saatchi and a large local business because this will look great on your cv!in December im taking 3 months away in France at a ski resort working for experience and money.Also looking to set up my own business in the next year. I'm quite relieved this has happened now because I didn't really want to go to Uni, so iI see it that I'm starting the business reality a year early. It's not the end of the world failing your as levels, **** happens I guess!
Reply 10
Re-take the year 12 and change subjects instead of Maths, Physics, Computing and English, stick to Maths and English and take Economics or Law as a 3rd a-level. On top of that you can take a 4th A level for fun, something easy, or you could take extra curriculum, do some charity work, get some work experience. Computing is the most useless subject you can do... I did it and I got an offer from Southampton to study Computer Science, which was in top 5 in the country. I did not do it and 2 years later I applied for Economics and got a place with Royal Holloway, but I went to BPP college instead to study accounting and I was working double full-time. Do not waste your time and stick to useful subjects, make a plan how you're gonna do it and put in hours into the revision. When you relax, relax, when you revise, revise. These 2 years can decide whenever you will achieve something in 3 or 5 or 20 years. Be a winner!
Reply 11
I would re-take year 12 as even most apprenticeships for computing require A levels of some sort. If you want to go into ICT then progress into computer science from there though you can do an apprenticeship, gain ICT qualifications and use them to get into uni, if they're NVQ's or whatever. I did quite bad in my AS levels. I had ADE, second year I managed ACC (consistent A in business), C in history and ICT. I wanted to do computing too but your opinions of the subject can change believe me after visiting uni. I got into Aberystwyth and hated Computer Science. I like programming but algorithms and algebra etc are pain in the ass, its a very specialized field, and not what most people think it is. Regardless resit your AS levels or do a BTECwhichever makes you happier, gain more experience, visit some uni open days and visit the computing department to get a real feel for the course, because if you're like me, home programming is nothing liek uni programming, it is very monotonous haha. Good luck though mate and do not despair, there is always a way.
Reply 12
Just an interesting fact for studying computer science at uni, ICT or computing at A-level standard is a disadvantage due to poor curriculum. Unless you learn a proper computing language in your spare time, it will actually help. There are lots of qualifications offered by microsoft etc which can help you and are worth spending time on. a levels maths is really crucial, try achieving high grades in C3 and C4 and you are flying :smile: take further maths as level on top and it is even better. I could say that you should decide whenever a-levels are for you, but to let you know it will be the easiest thing you will have to prepare for in your whole life and it will help you A LOT. don't worry that you ****** up , just forget about it and move on. Life doesn't finish on a levels. I have mates who got to the top unis and dropped out, because it wasn't enough and they didn't enjoy it apart of the student night life. The only good thing about a-levels and finishing good uni is a 'job security', but you also need a lot of more skills, which you can only learn from pursuing your dreams. Two things which will be a half of your success are getting up early and having a plan. good luck buddy, the world is yours!
Original post by asosnowski
Just an interesting fact for studying computer science at uni, ICT or computing at A-level standard is a disadvantage due to poor curriculum. Unless you learn a proper computing language in your spare time, it will actually help. There are lots of qualifications offered by microsoft etc which can help you and are worth spending time on. a levels maths is really crucial, try achieving high grades in C3 and C4 and you are flying :smile: take further maths as level on top and it is even better. I could say that you should decide whenever a-levels are for you, but to let you know it will be the easiest thing you will have to prepare for in your whole life and it will help you A LOT. don't worry that you ****** up , just forget about it and move on. Life doesn't finish on a levels. I have mates who got to the top unis and dropped out, because it wasn't enough and they didn't enjoy it apart of the student night life. The only good thing about a-levels and finishing good uni is a 'job security', but you also need a lot of more skills, which you can only learn from pursuing your dreams. Two things which will be a half of your success are getting up early and having a plan. good luck buddy, the world is yours!

Don't take further maths, whatever you do!
Reply 14
Start again. Lots of people at the school I'm at failed the first year, so started year 12 again. Some did the same subjects, others chose some new ones. This time round you'll know what to expect from the exams, and know how to cope with the workload.

And I'm sure you haven't let your parents down. If you tried your best, there is nothing more they can ask for.
Reply 15
I resit Y12 and honestly the best decision of my life! Even though my friends are off to uni this year I'm not that bothered as I have a lot better foundation to build on. Last year I took: business E, economics D and systems and control U, this year to took and got: business C, economics B and psychology C and last year if I'm honest I never put any effort in because I winged GCSE tbh, but them bad grades give me the motivation to get my head down and get work done and not mess around in lessons. But this has given me a strong foundation for even better grades next year. Hope tou make the right decision
Original post by oz40
AS results? Not a problem. 3 years ago when I took my AS, I had DEU. Switched it around to AABa the following year.

i just got a BBCC for my a'levels and i feel so upset that i didn't even get an A. i am considering taking a gap year. did you apply with your AS? or did you take a gap year?
Original post by oz40

Hey I just got my as grades and I'm dissapointed I did 6 subjects and got CCCDEE and was predicted all Bs. Just wondering how u did so amazing the following year
Original post by Emilyborexx
Hey I just got my as grades and I'm dissapointed I did 6 subjects and got CCCDEE and was predicted all Bs. Just wondering how u did so amazing the following year

Are you doing IB? how come you did so many subjects at AS? And anything is possible if you work your ass off for it thats not as bad as me at least you passed all
I got an ACUU at As level and am devastated because I did well in the subjects I don't need and bad in the ones I do need. I already wasted a year doing IB ( International Baccalaureate ) and dropped out to do A level. I worked my but off but still wasn't enough even though I was new to a-level IB was challenging enough. I don't know whether its worth doing AS again as I don't believe the subjects I failed was a real reflection of me (physics and biology) as I got a B and C in mocks for both. I don't recall having a bad day during the exams however my time management wasn't great, but a U? something is wrong here. Is their any advice on the best solution? I do not settle for failure but I'm almost 19...... is it worth all this repeating?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending