The Student Room Group

Question about Durhams selection criteria

Which areas of your application do Durham place the most emphasis on?
e.g A levels, work experience & volunteering, GCSEs, UKCAT etc.

ps. my academics are as follows (if it helps)

GCSEs - A*AAAAABBBBB
As levels - AAAA (maths chem bio physics)
A levels - A*AAA (A* was in maths)
UKCAT - Pending
Work experience - 2 weeks at general practice, 3 days at cardiology ward, 1 1/2 years at St. John ambulance and Yearly week long trips to lourdes helping adults with special needs

Thank you for your time reading this.
Reply 1
Durham select in the same way as Newcastle, they share a course.
They select the people to interview by ordering UKCAT scores and selecting the top 'x' candidates. These people are interviewed, the criteria of that I'm not too sure exactly - there's vague lists describing the qualities they look for floating about.
Have a search for Newcastle entry - they use exactly the same process.
Work hard for your UKCAT.
Reply 2
Original post by bssjonny
Which areas of your application do Durham place the most emphasis on?
e.g A levels, work experience & volunteering, GCSEs, UKCAT etc.

ps. my academics are as follows (if it helps)

GCSEs - A*AAAAABBBBB
As levels - AAAA (maths chem bio physics)
A levels - A*AAA (A* was in maths)
UKCAT - Pending
Work experience - 2 weeks at general practice, 3 days at cardiology ward, 1 1/2 years at St. John ambulance and Yearly week long trips to lourdes helping adults with special needs

Thank you for your time reading this.

Reading the above your chances should be good, as long as you do well in the UKCAT. A high percentage of those who get interviewed get an offer at Durham (higher proportion then Newcastle). A UKCAT score of around 680+ should be safe , also as you may be aware each year the threshold does change.
Reply 3
Original post by ct09
Reading the above your chances should be good, as long as you do well in the UKCAT. A high percentage of those who get interviewed get an offer at Durham (higher proportion then Newcastle). A UKCAT score of around 680+ should be safe , also as you may be aware each year the threshold does change.

Forgot to add that they use UKCAT ranking alongside predictions of AAA.
Reply 4
Original post by Girl.
Durham select in the same way as Newcastle, they share a course.
They select the people to interview by ordering UKCAT scores and selecting the top 'x' candidates. These people are interviewed, the criteria of that I'm not too sure exactly - there's vague lists describing the qualities they look for floating about.
Have a search for Newcastle entry - they use exactly the same process.
Work hard for your UKCAT.

Original post by ct09
Forgot to add that they use UKCAT ranking alongside predictions of AAA.

Okay thank you for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending