Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Big 'Recommend Me A College' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by bistonut
Cheers guys, it wasn't even on my radar until earlier today :smile:

"Large", "non-traditional", "near science site", "no shared room", "catered" = Van Mildert, definitely, as the other two have said. I think the majority of people I see on here end up getting recommended to Castle, Mildert, or Butler, depending on whether they want (non) traditional or are set on modern facilities.

Also I'm around if you want to ask anything about Physics. :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Awoodrow2

Also I'm around if you want to ask anything about Physics. :smile:

Aw cheers! The only think i can think of at the moment is what's your timetable like i guess. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
I hope to study economics at Durham and I am having trouble choosing a college.
I enjoy sport, like to have a laugh and a good night out, am not too fussed about the distances from the economics department (and if its important in choosing a college, I am from public school).

I am also not too fussed about room size, ensuite bathrooms and all that. I dont mind a traditional college but am also more than happy with a more modern college like Collingwood.

Could any of you give me some suggestions to what college I should apply for/I am best suited to?

Many Thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
bump
http://www.dur.ac.uk/study/accommodation/choosing/

just find the one with most of the things you want by crossing off ones that dont have important things. If you really dont care you can always make an open application, colleges at Durham aren't quite the same as they are at Oxbridge, which one you pick isn't quite as important.
Reply 185
Hello, it's another one of these threads. I'm dead-set on applying to Durham and I'd really appreciate some help picking a college. These are my criteria:

1) Away from any parties, boozing, etc. Yes, I'm a square.
2) Preferably a room to myself.
3) Safe area.
4) Pleasant accommodation; not dingy.

Thanks in advance for your answers. :smile:
Reply 186
Original post by Bangell
Hello, it's another one of these threads. I'm dead-set on applying to Durham and I'd really appreciate some help picking a college. These are my criteria:

1) Away from any parties, boozing, etc. Yes, I'm a square.
2) Preferably a room to myself.
3) Safe area.
4) Pleasant accommodation; not dingy.

Thanks in advance for your answers. :smile:

1) Every college will have its boozing, and you'll be able to hear the occasional drunken mob going to the clubs no matter whether you're on the hill or bailey - I think avoiding that is more dependent on what room in college you get; e.g. my first room in Trevs was facing the road that dozens of people walked to town by, my second was opposite an occasionally noisy landing (drinking games, etc), and my third was on the ground floor, near the bar. If I'd gone for a room in the refurbished blocks, however, it'd be really peaceful and quiet. Also this is one of the smallest (and nerdiest) colleges, so that's no guarantee of quiet.

Advice: None on that topic, but maybe someone else can suggest a quieter college.

2) Most colleges have the possibility of sharing, but I promise that the vast majority of people enjoy the experience, even if they weren't initially looking forward to it.

Advice: Butler and Mildert (and one or two others) have a tiny minority of shared rooms, if any at all. Trevs has mandatory sharing, but only for one term - if it's an important issue, make sure you don't apply to a college like Aidan's where people share for an entire year.

3) I promise pretty much all of Durham is safe, as long as you avoid the riverbanks at night, and don't walk in the middle of the road!

Advice: Hill colleges, since no-one but students lives in that area.

4) Aidan's and Butler have absolutely beautiful new accommodation. Half of Trevs is a bit dingy, but we're trying to get more of it refurbished. I've had one wander around Collingwood, which didn't seem like the nicest place, and I stayed a night in Mildert, which was alright, but not brilliant. Mary's I think is pretty nice, but not my style.

And sorry since I only really know about Hill college accommodation, so my advice is a bit biased!
Reply 187
Original post by ChickenMaLicken
I hope to study economics at Durham and I am having trouble choosing a college.
I enjoy sport, like to have a laugh and a good night out, am not too fussed about the distances from the economics department (and if its important in choosing a college, I am from public school).

I am also not too fussed about room size, ensuite bathrooms and all that. I dont mind a traditional college but am also more than happy with a more modern college like Collingwood.

Could any of you give me some suggestions to what college I should apply for/I am best suited to?

Many Thanks

You've asked for advice picking a college, then said that you don't mind any of the details about them! :tongue: But since you mention sport, I think Mildert has a bit of a reputation for being sporty? But even at Trevs, one of the smallest colleges, there are still dozens of sports teams (and most use University facilities rather than college ones), so it still doesn't make a huge difference.

Otherwise, just browse either the website or the prospectus, and just see what you get a good vibe from - that's how I handled most of my university applications!
To add to/correct the above :P

1) I'd have to agree. If you want to avoid noise go for a hill college as the bailey does get loud at night. I think if you avoid the college bar you'll avoid most of the internal noise. There'll obviously be rowdy people at whatever college you go to but whether you avoid them or not is just the luck of the draw with who you're put with.

2) Mildert and Butler have absolutely no shared rooms. Collingwood has a few but they're apparently rarely used nowadays, same with Hild Bede. Actually Hild Bede is a relatively quiet college too I'd imagine, it's not near any other colleges, though it is relatively far away from the science site though I'm not sure if that affects you. Also the bar isn't in the same building as any accomodation I think. Most other colleges have sharing rooms, Bailey colleges more so than hill.

3) I have to agree with the above, all areas are relatively safe.

4) I can't really add to the above either, though I've heard that Hild Bede has very mixed accomodation. The room one of my former housemates was in in her 1st year wasn't the nicest of rooms but I've heard other rooms are better and she was in one of the worst blocks.

Basically...I'd probably recommend Mildert or Hild Bede, depending on how bothered you are about distance/location, type of building (HB older, Mildert more modern) and quality of room. Possibly Butler if you don't mind being self-catered, if you want to be self catered then definitely Butler!
Reply 189
Thanks guys. Mildert and Hild-Bede do look like my best choices, after some investigation... Now I'll just have to deal with choosing between those two. :P
You've asked for advice picking a college, then said that you don't mind any of the details about them! :tongue: But since you mention sport, I think Mildert has a bit of a reputation for being sporty? But even at Trevs, one of the smallest colleges, there are still dozens of sports teams (and most use University facilities rather than college ones), so it still doesn't make a huge difference.

Otherwise, just browse either the website or the prospectus, and just see what you get a good vibe from - that's how I handled most of my university applications!

I've had a look some colleges at Durham and a few that I have had a good vibe from reading the prospectus are The College of St. Hild & St Bede and Hatfield.

Are these regarded as good colleges and would you personally recommend them?
Reply 191
I've had a look some colleges at Durham and a few that I have had a good vibe from reading the prospectus are The College of St. Hild & St Bede and Hatfield.

Are these regarded as good colleges and would you personally recommend them?

I don't think any college in Durham is regarded badly - they're all good, just different.

Hild Bede I don't know much about at all (being at the far side of Durham), but its grounds are absolutely BEAUTIFUL during the Summer - I had to go there for exams, and it was lovely (also right next to the river). Also I think they're the only college with a Film Soc that has an actual projector and large hall, rather than a tv room.

Hatfield is a very stereotyped college (hated out of tradition, known for being a bit of a rowdy place). I can't remember where they have most of their accommodation, but I know they've got a proper chapel on the bailey, and their bar is amazing.
I don't think any college in Durham is regarded badly - they're all good, just different.

Hild Bede I don't know much about at all (being at the far side of Durham), but its grounds are absolutely BEAUTIFUL during the Summer - I had to go there for exams, and it was lovely (also right next to the river). Also I think they're the only college with a Film Soc that has an actual projector and large hall, rather than a tv room.

Hatfield is a very stereotyped college (hated out of tradition, known for being a bit of a rowdy place). I can't remember where they have most of their accommodation, but I know they've got a proper chapel on the bailey, and their bar is amazing.

Thank you very much for all your advice I appreciate it, but one last question. When you say stereotyped, what do you exactly mean by that?
Reply 193
Thank you very much for all your advice I appreciate it, but one last question. When you say stereotyped, what do you exactly mean by that?

I mean they're the only college with a song about them that everyone else in the university knows, and will sing outside their gates while drunk. :tongue:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkN1JMfC3pI
They're usually regarded as the college with the second most rahs (University/Castle college being the only one posher and older), and don't really have a reputation for being friendly.

Most of it is just banter/tradition, however, and doesn't reflect the actual student makeup of the college. I only know one person from it, and he's perfectly nice.
I mean they're the only college with a song about them that everyone else in the university knows, and will sing outside their gates while drunk. :tongue:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkN1JMfC3pI
They're usually regarded as the college with the second most rahs (University/Castle college being the only one posher and older), and don't really have a reputation for being friendly.

Most of it is just banter/tradition, however, and doesn't reflect the actual student makeup of the college. I only know one person from it, and he's perfectly nice.

Thank you very much, I appreciate your help and you giving up your time to help me.
Thank you very much, I appreciate your help and you giving up your time to help me.

LMAO
Original post by CityTrader
LMAO

you jelly braaah?
you jelly braaah?

lol that song epitomises the ZERO banter Durham has.
Original post by CityTrader
lol that song epitomises the ZERO banter Durham has.

LOL
Reply 199
I'm applying for economics this year, but have no idea what college to pick, just wandering if anyone who is currently at Durham or knows something about the colleges could give me some advice.
I would probably prefer catered hence have ruled out Butler. Apart from that I quite look sports, and like the idea of gowned meals, however would not want this all the time. I would like to be fairly close to wherever lectures take place aswell :smile:

Any advice/help would be much appreciated :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest