Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Big 'Recommend Me A College' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Awoodrow2
I could have sworn catering was standardised across all colleges - I find it really weird that Aidan's alone is kosher. :s-smilie:

I'm just saying what I found out through the website :/
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Awoodrow2
On a very basic level, colleges are glorified halls of residence - but almost everyone would agree that they offer a helluva lot more than that. With full catering, staff that you'll get to know on a name-to-name basis, unique traditions (and architecture) and a very strong representative body that makes a lot of decisions with regards to day-to-day life in college, it can be a very different experience. That's not to mention the wealth of societies, facilities and events hosted by individual colleges, that you just don't get with halls of residence.

You'll be a member of your assigned college pretty much for life, if you want to stay involved (they really try to maintain relations with alumni). You'll be a member of the JCR (Junior Common Room - representative body for undergraduates) during the course of your degree, and unless you're awarded Colours for being awesome, will cease to be a member once you graduate (although again they run a lot of stuff for networking with alumni).

You'll live in college for your first year in Durham (you'll be missing out on a LOT if you don't), then can choose to return in later years - priority given to finalists before everyone else. It's normal for people to live out for second year, then go back to college for their final year (so many distractions and jobs out the way so you can concentrate on your degree) although some people never return, and others might end up staying for their entire degree (rare, though).

Ok thanks
Original post by DonWorryJockIsHere
Are the colleges at Durham just fancy names for halls at other universities? when you are assigned to a college is it permanent for the duration of your course? or do you get shifted to somewhere else after the first year?

Thanks

On a day to day level, the main differences are sports, events and societies. There are college teams for most sports so if you're not good enough for the uni teams or don't want to train 4 times a week, you can still get play sport throughout your degree. Most other unis have a couple of halls sports teams (usually only football, netball and a couple of other sports at most) and only for first year students. The main events are two college balls a year and formals (cheap three-course dinners with wine, varying in frequency and formality from twice a week at some colleges, down to three times a term at others).

But colleges will also run events like bar quizzes, open mic nights, get local/student bands in, organise trips to Newcastle, etc. Societies range from food and drink societies to poker to charity fashion shows and theatre. There are university-wide societies too, but again having college ones gives you more opportunities to get involved (eg instead of having 1 uni fashion show, most colleges have one so more people can participate), more chance of getting on the committee who run the society, and a chance to tailor the society to your college.

Colleges also have JCRs so you can get involved in college democracy (choosing which events to have, which singers to have at the balls, negotiating with college to get new facilities, organising societies, etc).

Having a college is also really good for the welfare side - you get a personal tutor who'll organise tutor group events and give you pastoral advice if you need it, the JCR will have welfare reps who'll run drop in sessions and welfare events (film nights, awareness weeks, yoga, etc) and each college has a senior tutor who can help you with any problems (if you have to go home ill and miss work, or if you miss a deadline because of personal problems, etc - it's much nicer sorting it out with someone in your college rather than trying to ring all your leturers and sort it out yourself).

That's turned out to be a really long post, sorry!
Original post by affinity89
Butler
As mentioned, the meals are not compulsory. In fact, they seem to fill up very quickly - I've no intention of going to one, but a recent email said the latest filled up in a couple of minutes! :smile:

Butler is not a 'formal' college. Not at all. In fact, I've found it to be very laid back. For example, the bar [which is amazing, by the way] is open to everyone. In contrast, some of the Bailey bars are quite hard to find and you have to hand in your campus card in order to gain access. Because JB is ensuite, self-catered people are quite independent and can come and go as they please. That is why I like it. :smile:

Regarding distance, Collingwood is next to Butler, so you are talking a minute or two tops difference. When I walked back to JB from town tonight, I was at the market place [in the city centre] at 10pm and back in my room by 10.25pm - I didn't walk particularly fast, as I was chatting away on the phone and I was focusing on walking straight as I had quite a bit to drink lol. From the science site, you are looking at no more than 10 minutes there, perhaps a few minutes extra back [as it is uphill lol]. Also, JB has the park and ride service on the doorstep - that runs Monday-Saturday, 7am-7pm and is £1 for a day ticket [for students]. Nice for when you don't fancy the walk or the weather is bad. I was a little surprised but quite a few people use it for the science site - it takes just a couple of minutes to get there. :smile:

Can't really pass comment on the other colleges, as I've only experienced JB. I'd just say - don't worry about it being formal. They might have gowned dinners but other than that, the place is laid back. :smile:

Collingwood's about 5-10mins walk down the Hill from Butler (it's next to Grey). Butler is next to Ustinov.
Reply 384
confunsed about the different colleges? what does it mean as ive never come across this at other uni's?
Some unis have different colleges that people live in instead of basic accomodation. If you were going to somewhere like Cambridge you'd find this too. The colleges are buildings where your rooms are, as well as places to eat and drink and watch tv etc. They are based all round Durham and it's helpful to go to a college which is near the subject building which you want to study. All the colleges offer different things, e.g. some provide meals every day, whilst in others you have to cook for yourself. It's basically a way of helping people build friendships as the colleges are like close-knit communities.
Hope this makes sense. I'm applying to Durham too, so maybe see you there? ;-)
Original post by angelmxxx
Collingwood's about 5-10mins walk down the Hill from Butler (it's next to Grey). Butler is next to Ustinov.

5-10 mins down the hill? No. I walked it to Collingwood the other day and it geniunely didn't take more than 2/3 minutes. 10 minutes gets you to the science site easily from JB. :smile:
If you're worried about formality, come to Collingwood - we have fancy dress formals!
It takes me far less than 10 minutes to get to the science site from here, you could do it in 5 if you walk quickly, so it's really handy for the library and lectures.
Original post by SJ735
confunsed about the different colleges? what does it mean as ive never come across this at other uni's?

I've just answered a question about colleges in another thread, have a look at the list of threads in the forum and you should find it.
I want to apply for Durahm for physics and I'm just filling in my UCAS form, However you have to select a college.

Does it really matter which one I pick? will picking a certain college affect my chances of recieving an offer? are there certain colleges for certain subjects? I notice that there is a thread somewhere on the pros and cons of each college, should I just have a look and pick one?

Thanks
I want to apply for Durahm for physics and I'm just filling in my UCAS form, However you have to select a college.

Does it really matter which one I pick? will picking a certain college affect my chances of recieving an offer? are there certain colleges for certain subjects? I notice that there is a thread somewhere on the pros and cons of each college, should I just have a look and pick one?

Thanks

All the information about choosing a college is on the university website. If you want more information about each college, look at their websites or in the pros/cons thread on here.
Original post by angelmxxx
All the information about choosing a college is on the university website. If you want more information about each college, look at their websites or in the pros/cons thread on here.

But does selecting say an oversubscribed college, affect the chances of recieving an offer from a department?
Reply 392
But does selecting say an oversubscribed college, affect the chances of recieving an offer from a department?

No you'll be accepted by the department and they will then pass you on to your first choice college and then if they don't want you you'll be passed to the other ones in that pool. If your accepted by your department then you'll definitely get a college! :smile:
Original post by alexa3218
No you'll be accepted by the department and they will then pass you on to your first choice college and then if they don't want you you'll be passed to the other ones in that pool. If your accepted by your department then you'll definitely get a college! :smile:

Ok thats a relief thanks.

I saw the thread last night but I cant find it anymore!! :mad: been looking for like 20 mins can you post the link please?
Reply 394
I'd suggest a hill college though (like collingwood or greys) . I'm a physics student here, at collingwood, and I have a 5 minute walk to lectures.
hi guys,

on a gap year sending off UCAS very soon and thinking about what colleges to pick..

i think hatfield is cool because of all the traditions and stuff and the formals seem like good fun, similiar with st hild and bede but it seems slightly less 'traditional'. st aidans is attractive to me because it has a reputation as the party college - any truth to this? i don't want my college to be full of a load of prudes, and going out is something i very much enjoy, as well as the stuff i've heard about fancy dress which sounds like a lot of fun too...

like, the whole formal side looks cool and i'd fit right in, but at the same time i want a very student-like experience at the same time...a bit of a compromise if you will.

if anyone is able to offer some advice that'd be cool!
(edited 12 years ago)
We at Castle go out a couple times a week, mostly Tuesdays and Thursdays after formal, but people go out on other days as well - usually the days of a week have specific nightclubs that are cheaper on that day.
So if you like the formal side go for a more formal college. I haven't been to Aiden's and thus can't write about how much more partying goes on. However, we are the closest you get to the clubs; it's just two minutes to Klute and Hatfield will be like that too.
Reply 397
Ok thats a relief thanks.

I saw the thread last night but I cant find it anymore!! :mad: been looking for like 20 mins can you post the link please?

Do you mean the pools? If so :

Pool A: Collingwood, St Hild & St Bede, Van Mildert

Pool B: Hatfield, St Cuthbert's, Josephine Butler, St John's

Pool C: St Chad's, St Aidan's, Grey, St Mary's, Trevelyan

Pool D: University College and all colleges named in pools A to C
I think every college is prone to partying, especially for undergrads. I can't tell you how many times I show up at main college (Chad's) and see people in fancy dress.

And if Hatfield is two minutes to the clubs, then Chad's is 3 tops. :P Either way, I don't think finding a college that likes to party will be an issue no matter where you end up.
Reply 399
Original post by bob247
I'm just saying what I found out through the website :/

I'd never looked at that before. How bizarre...

Quick Reply

Latest