The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Big 'Recommend Me A College' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
I am a postgrad. MSc in Financial Management. So postgrad finance is still at Ushaw then? And what about management?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I'm an international student who'll be studying MSc in Internet Systems this October. I have chosen St. Chad's and University as my first and second preference respectively:smile:
The PGAdministration told me, that the MSC Finance and Investment will be based at Science Site so I assume, that Financial Management will be there too. But you can just write an email and ask, just to be sure!

That's what the Office told me:

However, please note that the Finance programmes are taught on the Science site and the Master’s office will be located in Elvet hill house next to the Oriental museum. Therefore it is unlikely o you will need to travel to Ushaw college.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 583
Original post by Emperiator
The PGAdministration told me, that the MSC Finance and Investment will be based at Science Site so I assume, that Financial Management will be there too. But you can just write an email and ask, just to be sure!

That's what the Office told me:

That's great. And yes, I will send them an e-mail, I have some other stuff I need to ask about anyways. Thanks!
Original post by gudjbr
That's great. And yes, I will send them an e-mail, I have some other stuff I need to ask about anyways. Thanks!

So what did they say? Something different to what they have sent to me?
I've taken the "which college is right for me?" quiz; I've looked through their websites; I've looked through the TSR articles; I've even been to see the majority of colleges in Durham city, and yet I still cannot choose a college.

I've managed to narrow it down somewhat to:
-St John's
-St Mary's
-Trevelyan
-Grey
-Hatfield

They all have their pros and their cons.

I'm definitely going for Fully catered, and my course it set in Durham City. I'd preferably like to be in a more traditional college, however, I'm more concerned about not attending a college that is going to be "rah" dominated. I'm not entirely sure if I want to attend a college which is big or small. At a small college I'm worried about not fitting in with the small community, and at a large college I'm worried that I'll just be a number, and I won't get a community feel. I'm not at all fussed about sharing a room if I have to. I'm also not at all fussed where the college is, so long as its in the Durham City campus.

I reckon I'm edging towards St Johns - but I'm worried about its size, and apparently all the bailey colleges are full of private school kids. :s-smilie:

If anyone at Durham could help that would be fantastic!
Anyone?
Reply 587
Original post by Platostolemysocks
Anyone?

Don't worry if your post's only been around for a few hours - there's not many of us around the Durham forum, so it can take a while before you get a reply to some stuff. :redface:

I've taken the "which college is right for me?" quiz; I've looked through their websites; I've looked through the TSR articles; I've even been to see the majority of colleges in Durham city, and yet I still cannot choose a college.

-St John's
-St Mary's
-Trevelyan
-Grey
-Hatfield

I'm definitely going for Fully catered, and my course it set in Durham City. I'd preferably like to be in a more traditional college, however, I'm more concerned about not attending a college that is going to be "rah" dominated. I'm not entirely sure if I want to attend a college which is big or small. At a small college I'm worried about not fitting in with the small community, and at a large college I'm worried that I'll just be a number, and I won't get a community feel. I'm not at all fussed about sharing a room if I have to. I'm also not at all fussed where the college is, so long as its in the Durham City campus.

I reckon I'm edging towards St Johns - but I'm worried about its size, and apparently all the bailey colleges are full of private school kids. :s-smilie:

Thanks for saying at the start that you've looked through all that stuff! It's always useful to let is know what you know, and I'm impressed you've done so much research.

I wouldn't be worried about Johns at all - even with its small size, there'll still be plenty of people that you'll never even get around to meeting. Or to switch that around to actually answer your query, I'm confident that you'll find people to fit in with.

'The community' is always a bit of an awkward thing to explain or describe, and depends on the college and your experiences. But essentially, I'd say that the 'college community' is drawn around and dominated by (that's a bit strong, but closest word I could find) the JCR exec, who run things and represent the students of the college.

If you don't get on with that atmosphere, then you'll find a group of people to make friends with who do suit you better, and who don't need to be heavily involved in the central college community. There are many groups who, after first year, never have anything to do with their JCRs ever again, and are perfectly happy by themselves.

So basically my advice is 'You think you like John's best - go for it!'
Reply 588

Every college has its fair share of private school kids. It's not really seen as a big deal though, as far as I've noticed anyway. I didn't go to a private school but several of my friends have; it's not like there's a massive divide.

Go for John's if you like the look of it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it :smile:
Hi

I'm a current student at St. John's and can firmly say that you will be fine here.

John's is not "rah" dominated, it has a good mix of students and despite the commonly held assumption, not everyone is a Christian. Our year sizes at John's are ~125ish with a total college size of ~450 so I'm sure you would find people to socialize with.

Also, John's is not by any means "full of private school kids". I went to a state school and so did the majority of my friends, in fact, I have to think quite hard to find one who noticeably went to a private school.

Any other questions feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 590
@OP Are you starting this upcoming semester? I applied about two weeks ago (a few days after the accommodation guarantee ran out) and now they're saying I will probably not get accommodated at all - at any college, as they probably won't "move on to the non-guarantee list".

So don't get your hopes up (if you're applying for a college for the upcoming semester that is).
Original post by gudjbr
@OP Are you starting this upcoming semester? I applied about two weeks ago (a few days after the accommodation guarantee ran out) and now they're saying I will probably not get accommodated at all - at any college, as they probably won't "move on to the non-guarantee list".

So don't get your hopes up (if you're applying for a college for the upcoming semester that is).

No. No. I'm applying next. I'm just planning all this early. Poor you though! How come you applied so late?
Reply 592
Applied for unis very late and wasn't entirely sure I'd choose Durham until a couple of weeks ago. Also my laziness and severe retardation. :frown:
Reply 593
i chose Hatfield bcs i like something traditional and I prefer self-catered.
Reply 594
Hatfield out of that list, but Castle is the undoubted best. :smile:
Reply 595

-St John's
-St Mary's
-Trevelyan
-Grey
-Hatfield

i'm going this year, applied for St Mary's - I really like it, it's definitely not 'rah' and i like the semi-traditional buildings and beautiful grounds. it's a bit further from town so not too noisy (i was worried about noise in colleges in the middle of town). it's probably the most traditional college on the hill.

but i think if you've got a good feeling about one, it's probably the right one. if you get an offer then they'll invite you to a post-app open day, where you'll get to stay in the college and look around and everything, and then you'll see what it's like. however you can't change your college at that point so i'd advise you to go and visit before going, that's what made the decision for me.
Reply 596
Have you considered St. Aidan's?
Reply 597
Original post by canŵio
but i think if you've got a good feeling about one, it's probably the right one. if you get an offer then they'll invite you to a post-app open day, where you'll get to stay in the college and look around and everything, and then you'll see what it's like. however you can't change your college at that point so i'd advise you to go and visit before going, that's what made the decision for me.

I'd have to back you up on that point. "Good feelings" are largely what I based my university applications on, and I chose my college by skimming through the prospectus, and reading up more detail on the ones I got a good feeling about.
Reply 598
Yeah, no they said the same to me. It seems only the MBAs will be based at Ushaw!
Original post by gudjbr
Yeah, no they said the same to me. It seems only the MBAs will be based at Ushaw!

So you still do the Financial Management at Durham? At which college are you at?

Quick Reply

Latest