Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Big 'Recommend Me A College' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by JBMJBM
Alright, awesome. Are there any specific pros/cons about Trev you would tell a prospective student?

Well, I think our building is absolutely awesome. Everything under one roof, a cool layout, and landings instead of corridors.

The biggest negative is that, asides from the recently refurbished blocks F-J, the accommodation (even the newer K block) is pretty shabby. Although it might be refurbished fully by the time you'd be getting here.

And it depends on the person as to whether it's a selling point or a negative, but we're an odd college. You can't really stereotype Trevs students because we all do such different things, but we have a habit of being strange - we've got a gigantic Ultimate Frisbee team, societies named things like RASTA and TAMPACS, and generally a lot of characters around. I think it's the influence of the strange architecture...
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Awoodrow2
Well, I'm afraid there's still quite a bit of choice there. :colondollar:

I think most colleges hope to be non-elitist, but the air of the place will largely depend on the 'dominant' social group of the time, usually based around the JCR exec, which is usually just a superficial view - whichever college you go to, you'll find people you can get on with.

If you want to be close to all the shops and so on, you should be looking at the Bailey colleges with lovely buildings and a short walk to the town centre, although the Hill colleges have equally lovely scenery (just of a different type), and aren't more than 20 minutes walk away from the centre.

As for sport and activities, all colleges have their own societies and sports teams, so you'll find somewhere wherever you go.

Thank you for your reply.

I see; I currently have St Mary's down as it seems a very interesting place.
However if it changes things somewhat, I'm a rather... cautious person. I probably would either require my own room or if sharing, secure containers, at least at first. I'm not one for giving out trust willy-nilly. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 782
Original post by Cyclohexane
Thank you for your reply.

I see; I currently have St Mary's down as it seems a very interesting place.
However if it changes things somewhat, I'm a rather... cautious person. I probably would either require my own room or if sharing, secure containers, at least at first. I'm not one for giving out trust willy-nilly. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Well, remember that they have motive to not do anything 'bad' to you, because you could do exactly the same for them. :-P While pranks tend to be fair game if someone else leaves their door unlocked, it's really not the done thing for roommates to take advantage of each other like that, otherwise the living arrangements just break down.

Edit: But yes, I've got Mary's down as a pretty nice place. :smile:
Reply 783
Moved to the Megathread.

Well here's the page you want to find out which colleges have shared rooms.
http://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/accommodation/choosing/

I think I'd probably recommend Van Mildert for you - it's not close to History, but distances really aren't a big deal in Durham - since it's got no shared rooms, I think it's got a fairly strong party/sporty reputation (with Aidan's and Collingwood), and they've got a pretty good bar/common area.

thank you! i'm not too bothered about distance to be honest. i'm thinking of hild bede as well because it's known for its sport. is it social there too? what would you say are the least social colleges? also...do you study at durham?
Reply 784
Original post by askjonny
thank you! i'm not too bothered about distance to be honest. i'm thinking of hild bede as well because it's known for its sport. is it social there too? what would you say are the least social colleges? also...do you study at durham?

It's social at all colleges, don't worry. :P I'm not aware that any have a particularly unsocial reputation. Also I'm afraid I don't know anything about the bar at Hild Bede, because it's rather out the way.

I'm a fourth year physicist at Trevelyan College, Durham.
Reply 785
I'm hoping to study History and English/Liberal arts, what is the best located college for me? Would love an ensuite but I know there's not a high chance of that :tongue:
Reply 786
Removed
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by JBMJBM
Here's what I posted earlier:

I have since been persuaded to apply to Trevelyan (in fact my application is now sent, but I could change it). It sounds great apart from the fact it is quite far away from the Economics department (which is just east of the castle). Having not been there, I'm not quite sure whether this would be an issue. I don't have a car so would probably be cycling as well, so ridiculous hills may be a problem. Also, I'd be a little annoyed if I were one of very few Economics students at the college.

Cheers.

1. You will meet loads of economics students in your lectures/seminars, so the college will provide a great chance to meet students on other courses. :smile:
2. No where in Durham is far. I was in JB and my department was based at Hild Bede. Took about 30 minutes on foot and that is probably the largest distance to cover in Durham itself. :smile:
3. Few students have and use cars. Yes, they can be handy for reaching the supermarkets [which are all positioned out of town] but you'll be catered in first year anyway. And, you can reach most of the supermarkets by bus or have stuff delivered in second/third year. :smile:
Reply 788
Original post by x_L_x
I'm hoping to study History and English/Liberal arts, what is the best located college for me? Would love an ensuite but I know there's not a high chance of that :tongue:

Presumably one of the Bailey colleges, since History is definitely on North Bailey, and lectures for that and English will probably be in Elvet Riverside.

But as we keep saying on this forum, choosing a college has a lot more factors involved than just academics, because they're very different.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 789
Presumably one of the Bailey colleges, since History is definitely on North Road

Err, shouldn't that be North Bailey?
Reply 790
Original post by astro67
Err, shouldn't that be North Bailey?

...dammit, Durham and your similarly-named roads.
Reply 791
So in terms of Trevs vs Collingwood vs Hatfield, what are the pros and cons (want to do combined arts/English and History).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by x_L_x
So in terms of Trevs vs Collingwood vs Hatfield, what are the pros and cons (want to do combined arts/English and History).

Depends what you see as pros and cons; no teaching is done in the college so in that respect no college is better than any other. Hatfield is on the Bailey, so closer to both town and where you'll have lectures, but Trevs and Collingwood are still only a 15 or so minute walk away. In terms of Size, Collingwood is the biggest and Trevs the smallest with Hatfield being somewhere in the middle. Formality/Traditions...Hatfield is the most formal with 2 gowned formals a week, Trevs also has gowned formals but only fortnightly and Collingwood only has occasional non-gowned formals (all formals are optional, by the way).
Reply 793
I'm applying for Psychology at Durham, I want a fun college with some tradition, more towards the centre. (I dont mind walking)
Is there any with particularly good drama based societies or theatre groups, as that is something that I really do love
Original post by merron
I'm applying for Psychology at Durham, I want a fun college with some tradition, more towards the centre. (I dont mind walking)
Is there any with particularly good drama based societies or theatre groups, as that is something that I really do love

Hild Bede and Trevs have well established drama groups which put on regular plays, musicals, etc. There's all Durham Student Theatre, which is a uni-wide group. With both colleges and DST you'll be able to act, write, direct and do backstage/producer work for plays and musicals. If you send an email/facebook message to the groups then they'll be able to give you more information.

http://www.dur.ac.uk/dst/page.php?section=about&page=dst
http://www.dur.ac.uk/trevelyan.college/undergraduate/involved/arts/
https://www.facebook.com/HildBedeTheatre/info
So I'm applying for Durham for 2013 entry.

- I'm applying for Psychology/Philosphy
- I'd prefer travelling distances to be kept low if possible
- I'd probably go for a medium sized college
- I'm not at all fussed about college activities (sports/music etc)
- I'd want quite a sociable college - going out a lot etc

Which college(s) would best suit me?

Thanks for any help :smile:
Just thinking - is Castle full of the best sportsmen, musicians, artists et cetera? As in, if the colleges got to choose, and they choose based on extra-curriculars, you'd expect Castle, with it's 20:1 applicant to entrant ratio, to simply pick the best of their applicants and pass the rest along to other colleges.
Reply 797
Original post by cvarley
So I'm applying for Durham for 2013 entry.

- I'm applying for Psychology/Philosphy
- I'd prefer travelling distances to be kept low if possible
- I'd probably go for a medium sized college
- I'm not at all fussed about college activities (sports/music etc)
- I'd want quite a sociable college - going out a lot etc

Which college(s) would best suit me?

Thanks for any help :smile:

Grey, maybe? It's one of the closest two colleges to Psychology (which is at the top of Cardiac Hill), and it's not one of the largest colleges. I don't know anything about their social stuff, apart from the annual firework display.

Original post by Caecilius
Just thinking - is Castle full of the best sportsmen, musicians, artists et cetera? As in, if the colleges got to choose, and they choose based on extra-curriculars, you'd expect Castle, with it's 20:1 applicant to entrant ratio, to simply pick the best of their applicants and pass the rest along to other colleges.

Huh, you make a reasonable point there - I'd never really thought about it like that. But to the best of my knowledge, I've never heard anything about Castle being the best at anything - apart from having a castle, and having huge balls.
Huh, you make a reasonable point there - I'd never really thought about it like that. But to the best of my knowledge, I've never heard anything about Castle being the best at anything - apart from having a castle, and having huge balls.

I guess this points towards one of these two ideas: either colleges try to maintain a range of people themselves, or are forced to do so by the university. I guess you haven't heard about Castle having disproportionately more academic 'whizzes' either, have you?

having huge balls.

Niiicce
Reply 799
Hiya! I'm applying for Law at Durham, would really like some help on a college!
-Medium-sized (well anything but small)
-Good bar/social atmosphere
-I really don't want to share a room, I like my space haha
-Minimal travelling distances
-Don't care whether its modern/traditional, I just want a nice room that isn't tiny and dilapidated
-Sports and music aren't my thing

Thanks for any help!

Quick Reply

Latest