Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Big 'Recommend Me A College' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by zDefcon
That's ok Bembem, we don't want you on the hill anyway.

Nobody wants the hill though.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
If you're too lazy to walk up a hill for five to ten minutes once or twice a day then I only have pity for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Antifazian
If you're too lazy to walk up a hill for five to ten minutes once or twice a day then I only have pity for you.

I'm not saying I'd choose a college for that reason only, but it's certainly a discriminator, if I was stuck between two colleges
Reply 983
Original post by bembem
Nobody wants the hill though.

I'd prefer it if you didn't say things that are outright wrong and unhelpful on my forum, please. :s-smilie: If you keep going, I'll assume that you're just trolling.
Original post by bembem
I dont know why you would voluntarily pick to live on the Hill other than you want self-catered.

I'm not sure you've got any idea what you're talking about. Living on the hill is a big advantage to anyone with lectures on the science site. And just in case you're not a scientist, just about anyone can have lectures on the science site.

I would like to say that in my three years of reading Durham forums, it is very unusual to find anyone being as negative and unhelpful as you are being. People are generally very nice and positive. Perhaps you don't belong anywhere in Durham.
Original post by RuSSeLLMaGuiRe
I'm not saying I'd choose a college for that reason only, but it's certainly a discriminator, if I was stuck between two colleges

I suppose it depends on what kind of person you are. To me it was a positive - more exercise!
For someone who would like a more traditional looking, mid-sized college, on the hill or Bailey (cos applying for science and not very good at getting up in the morning :wink: ), would you say St Mary is the only choice or have I missed some others? Definitely don't fancy the 60's look, though I know it is totally arbitrary....
Reply 987
Original post by cora06140
For someone who would like a more traditional looking, mid-sized college, on the hill or Bailey (cos applying for science and not very good at getting up in the morning :wink: ), would you say St Mary is the only choice or have I missed some others? Definitely don't fancy the 60's look, though I know it is totally arbitrary....

Based on that, Mary's is my first thought too. :smile: Although if you've got any other thoughts about what kind of place you'd like to live, I'll throw some more suggestions at you!
Thanks, going to the open day in September and was wondering which one I should try and visit, on top of Mary's, so yes, if you have any other suggestion, that would be great (staying overnight at University College, so we'll have seen that too :smile: )
Reply 989
Thanks, going to the open day in September and was wondering which one I should try and visit, on top of Mary's, so yes, if you have any other suggestion, that would be great (staying overnight at University College, so we'll have seen that too :smile: )

Well, what kind of things are you after? Like, you said you wanted a middle-sized college, but why is it you're looking at that? I might be able to suggest other things that might work.
Well my daughter comes from quite a small school (about 500 pupils from early years to year 13, so it really is more like a family where everyone knows everyone) so would probably not be comfortable in a huge college. She is also keen on being in a more traditional looking college (we live in France where 99% of unis are purpose built cement blocks, so she yearns for a more historical building, more traditions, etc) and she is not very good at getting up in the morning, so as she wants to do science, I guess it means on the hill or not too far away :smile:

Thanks!
Reply 991
Well my daughter comes from quite a small school (about 500 pupils from early years to year 13, so it really is more like a family where everyone knows everyone) so would probably not be comfortable in a huge college. She is also keen on being in a more traditional looking college (we live in France where 99% of unis are purpose built cement blocks, so she yearns for a more historical building, more traditions, etc) and she is not very good at getting up in the morning, so as she wants to do science, I guess it means on the hill or not too far away :smile:

Thanks!

St Mary's would be my first thought - right next to the science site, one of the most traditional colleges on the Hill (definitely the nicest non-modern building), middling size, but doesn't have a rowdy reputation.

If you're looking on the Bailey, maybe St John's? That's small and tight-knit, as far as I'm aware.
OK thank you very much for that suggestion - as I said, we're overnighting at University College, which I guess is the most traditional, though far from where she would want to be and I expect massively oversubscribed, we are booked to visit St Mary's and we'll see if we can get a peep at St John. Thanks again
Hi! Trying to decide between colleges - I want to study Natural Sciences (Biology and Anthropology in case anyone's interested) and I've basically narrowed down my college choices to St Mary's, St Johns, Hatfield & Grey. I kind of would prefer an older college but I know the hill colleges are nearer to the science site. Any advice?
Reply 994
Original post by Ella Grodz
Hi! Trying to decide between colleges - I want to study Natural Sciences (Biology and Anthropology in case anyone's interested) and I've basically narrowed down my college choices to St Mary's, St Johns, Hatfield & Grey. I kind of would prefer an older college but I know the hill colleges are nearer to the science site. Any advice?

While Hill colleges are nearer to the Science Site, from my experience of living on the Bailey, it's not an issue walking to the science site (10-15 min walk and it's quite sociable).

St Johns is a very small college. It is extremely intimate and if you like that kind of thing then it might be good for you.

Hatfield is also a Bailey college. It's bigger than John's and it is pretty nice. It looks a bit like a boarding school and is very well located.

Grey is a hill college. It is one of the biggest and closest to the science site.

Mary's was the last college to go mixed which means it still has a large proportion of girls. It's close to the science site too.

If I were to choose out of these, I would go for Hatfield. It's an old college with a good history. It has a large variety of clubs and societies and it has nice halls. It also has Formal Hall (smart dinner) weekly, which is a plus.
Original post by Chomper
While Hill colleges are nearer to the Science Site, from my experience of living on the Bailey, it's not an issue walking to the science site (10-15 min walk and it's quite sociable).

St Johns is a very small college. It is extremely intimate and if you like that kind of thing then it might be good for you.

Hatfield is also a Bailey college. It's bigger than John's and it is pretty nice. It looks a bit like a boarding school and is very well located.

Grey is a hill college. It is one of the biggest and closest to the science site.

Mary's was the last college to go mixed which means it still has a large proportion of girls. It's close to the science site too.

If I were to choose out of these, I would go for Hatfield. It's an old college with a good history. It has a large variety of clubs and societies and it has nice halls. It also has Formal Hall (smart dinner) weekly, which is a plus.

Great, thanks so much! Ok, so I'm now deliberating between Grey and Hatfield...
Reply 996

The university created this a while back:

https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/accommodation/choosing/quiz/

I don't know how accurate it will be but if you get either Grey or Hatfield, it might help your decision.

I'll add my bit as a former grey student.
You said you're looking for an older college- is that for the pretty buildings, or the traditional formals etc, or both? If it's mainly for the formals and getting to pretend you're in harry potter while wearing a gown, then grey has formals every two or three weeks or so, in gowns (without some of the stranger traditions i've heard about hatfield formals and their cutlery.. :confused: )
Also in terms of closeness to lectures, being at grey is certainly an advantage even over other hill colleges for biology. While not all your lectures for it will necessarily be in the department, the biology building is up what is nicknamed "cardiac hill", a really steep hill between the biology/ psychology buildings and the rest of the science site, but there is a (almost completely flat) shortcut between the back of grey and the biology building. One less thing to put you off going to your 9am lecture at the top of the hill! Of course, nowhere in durham is that far away, but your sense of distance does get a bit skewed in such a small city, so even a 15 min walk sometimes seems arduous!
I will be starting at Hatfield in September, if anyone wants to find out my experiences there then message me around that time :smile: Would be great to hear any other people's experiences of the College!
I'm applying this year and would like some help, if that's okay. :smile: I've already done personal research and checked a majority of the college websites, but I'm still not sure so I thought it'd be cool to get some opinions from Durham students themselves?

I'm a girl! I'd like to keep a strong focus on my education, so it'd be great if the college had a 24-hour library. I also love going to parties, and going crazy! I like the idea of formals and dressing up, but I think I'd get bored if they're too consistent (also I don't think I'd be able to afford that many dresses haha!). I'm looking to study Chemistry for 4 years, so hopefully a college close to the science site?
I have friends of pretty much every race and from a range of backgrounds (eg. wealthy and not so wealthy), so I'd like to attend a college with a close and wide-ranging community!
I'm also looking to play sports such as Football, Basketball, Rugby, Rowing.

Sorry if it's a bit much but any help is appreciated :smile:.
Thank you and if you're looking to apply too, see you there! (If I get in aah)

Quick Reply

Latest