The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford postgraduate applicants 2014/15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by llacerta
I'm struggling a little with the Statement of Purpose, to be honest...The website for the programme I'm applying for says the Statement of Purpose should focus on "research rather than personal achievements, interests and aspirations" (and this is for a taught programme). Surely most PSs are about things you're interested in and stuff you've done? I'd just find it a little strange writing about purely research stuff, as it'll end up more like an essay than a PS. And I'm going to find it difficult not to mention my aspirations...After all, it does say that we should write about why we want to do the programme- it's not just a means to an end, but any aspirations I have are surely one of the main reasons why I want to do it?

In short, I'm not quite sure what they're getting at.

Which course are you applying for? I think they mean they want you to highlight what areas of research you are interested in, and why. So for example if you like researching elephants, talk to them about a safari you went on, or voluntary time in a zoo, which has given you the necessary skills to carry out your research. Obviously that example was nonsense, but hopefully you get what I mean. I may also be totally wrong, but that's what I read the instructions to mean anyway :smile:
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 181
Original post by headphonesun
Anyone who applied for the MSc in Mathematical Modelling and Scientific Computing?:confused:

Hi! Yes i have applied and have an interview on Thursday! How about you?
Original post by Potintern
Hi! Yes i have applied and have an interview on Thursday! How about you?

Hi! Me too! But the interview will be on Monday, 17th. Best of luck for your interview! Btw, what is the date of your interview?
Reply 183
Original post by headphonesun
Hi! Me too! But the interview will be on Monday, 17th. Best of luck for your interview! Btw, what is the date of your interview?

13th! Whats ur background? Grades etc?
Does anyone who's applied before know what the deal is with interviews? Do all departments do them, or only a few?
Original post by Bella_trixxx
Does anyone who's applied before know what the deal is with interviews? Do all departments do them, or only a few?

Well two of my programmes call candidates to interview so I guess some will whilst others will make offers without.
Reply 186
Original post by Bella_trixxx

As GG says, some do and some don't. Each faculty's website ought to say somewhere whether or not they normally use interviews. I know that, for example, the English Faculty (which doesn't use interviews normally) say this on their selection criteria page.
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
Anyone else here applied for the MSc in Contemporary India?

Also to aswer Kittyb99's query yes I think with Oxford we have to wait for the snail mail. TBH imo it make no difference to my nerves whichever way the news breaks. :frown:

Hi! Finally found someone who has applied for MSc in Contemporary India! I submitted my application on the 26th of November and so will be assessed for the January deadline. I have a long wait ahead of me. You should be hearing even before they take a look at my application :tongue: Good luck!
Original post by QHF
As GG says, some do and some don't. Each faculty's website ought to say somewhere whether or not they normally use interviews. I know that, for example, the English Faculty (which doesn't use interviews normally) say this on their selection criteria page.

Aha! The Modern Languages faculty doesn't either. What a relief, thank you!
Original post by charmingsagi
Hi! Finally found someone who has applied for MSc in Contemporary India! I submitted my application on the 26th of November and so will be assessed for the January deadline. I have a long wait ahead of me. You should be hearing even before they take a look at my application :tongue: Good luck!

Thanks, good luck to you too. If you don't mind me asking which college have you applied to and what's your background like?

My only connection to Contemporary India is through family connections hence had to do an awful lot of background reading. Don't fancy my chances at all.

I have no idea when they're supposed to even get back to me for the November deadline. I guess all I can do is sit tight and keep fingers crossed.
Thanks, good luck to you too. If you don't mind me asking which college have you applied to and what's your background like?

My only connection to Contemporary India is through family connections hence had to do an awful lot of background reading. Don't fancy my chances at all.

I have no idea when they're supposed to even get back to me for the November deadline. I guess all I can do is sit tight and keep fingers crossed.

Colleges in Oxford? (Sorry I am still getting used to this different colleges under one university thing.) I actually don't remember. Its Oxford and I am willing to go ANYWHERE! Never been to the UK before so its not like I have anything to compare it with! But I think Exeter...

About my background, well, I have always wanted to be an Indian Foreign Service Officer and since I am only 20, I am not yet eligible to apply for the Civil Service exams back home (India). So, I decided to pursue further studies as I have time on my side. Hence, the interest in the course. By background what do you mean? I am an Indian citizen but currently studying in USA. Are you from Gridiron, NJ?

I have a lot of experience working at the Permanent Mission of India to the UN in NYC as well as US-India Chamber of Commerce...I have been practically living and breathing what they have to offer in the course. So I really do hope I get in!

That's all we can do really. Keeping our fingers crossed and hoping for the best!

I read you are applying to a number of applications??:cool:
and by applications I meant courses...:biggrin:
Colleges in Oxford? (Sorry I am still getting used to this different colleges under one university thing.) I actually don't remember. Its Oxford and I am willing to go ANYWHERE! Never been to the UK before so its not like I have anything to compare it with! But I think Exeter...

About my background, well, I have always wanted to be an Indian Foreign Service Officer and since I am only 20, I am not yet eligible to apply for the Civil Service exams back home (India). So, I decided to pursue further studies as I have time on my side. Hence, the interest in the course. By background what do you mean? I am an Indian citizen but currently studying in USA. Are you from Gridiron, NJ?

I have a lot of experience working at the Permanent Mission of India to the UN in NYC as well as US-India Chamber of Commerce...I have been practically living and breathing what they have to offer in the course. So I really do hope I get in!

That's all we can do really. Keeping our fingers crossed and hoping for the best!

I'm from England my parents are Indian.

Wow I can't really compete with that level of experience. I don't think I will get in I just submitted an application, I worked hard on producing a good statement so just see how it goes. Yeah I applied to Exeter College too. I chose it because I liked it best out of the colleges on offer, very pretty and quite the typical Oxford college.

Yes I'm applying for other programmes at Oxford and at other universities in the UK and US. As long as I get an offer I'd be happy. First choice would be Oxford or Cambridge and then probably the US after that.
Just submitted MSc Criminology and Criminal Justice, with a somewhat speculative and rather irresponsible college choice of Christ Church :smile:
I'm from England my parents are Indian.

Wow I can't really compete with that level of experience. I don't think I will get in I just submitted an application, I worked hard on producing a good statement so just see how it goes. Yeah I applied to Exeter College too. I chose it because I liked it best out of the colleges on offer, very pretty and quite the typical Oxford college.

Yes I'm applying for other programmes at Oxford and at other universities in the UK and US. As long as I get an offer I'd be happy. First choice would be Oxford or Cambridge and then probably the US after that.

Wow! So you have the British AND the Indian connection! I am sure you have a great personal statement! Don't worry!

I have applied to the MPhil in South Asian Studies at Cambridge too (Dont remember what Cambridge colleges I put in). Same here, a couple of american universities and the two in UK. Although my top choices are the UK ones too. I have had my fill of American universities! :tongue: But let's see where I get in. Anything would do! :biggrin:
Wow! So you have the British AND the Indian connection! I am sure you have a great personal statement! Don't worry!

I have applied to the MPhil in South Asian Studies at Cambridge too (Dont remember what Cambridge colleges I put in). Same here, a couple of american universities and the two in UK. Although my top choices are the UK ones too. I have had my fill of American universities! :tongue: But let's see where I get in. Anything would do! :biggrin:

Well for me Oxford or Cambridge would be first choice the British bias et al. After that I'd happily go to the US. Applying to some Ivies and a couple of decent non-Ivies.
Reply 196
Some MPhil in Econ applicants here :smile: ?

Hahahaha. Count me in the Indian Foreign Service dreamer list too. I am planning to apply for MSc in Contemporary India as well and take the exam next May (for the Civil Services, I mean). I actually deferred my MSc. Global Politics offer from LSE last year just to get some research experience and apply for this MSc at Oxford. I've also made an application to the MSc Global Governance and Diplomacy programme as well because I really like its modules too. I shall submit my application in a few days but it's going to be a hard wait until March. :/

Your experience sounds amazing. Good luck for your application! :biggrin:
Reply 198
I just got an (informal) offer via email from the grad studies assistant in my department! I'm so stoked!!!!!!!! I wasn't expecting any word until January. :excited:
Reply 199
Original post by ethey
I just got an (informal) offer via email from the grad studies assistant in my department! I'm so stoked!!!!!!!! I wasn't expecting any word until January. :excited:
Which department? NM - found your earlier post.

And congrats!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending