The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford postgraduate applicants 2014/15

Scroll to see replies

I've just submitted my application for the 18th January round. Do you guys know how long it takes in general before hearing from the dept about interviews etc? Also, is there any info on the Oxford website about the quotas of funded places (by AHRC, EPSRC, etc) each department gets?
(edited 11 years ago)
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by Dialetheism
I've just submitted my application for the 18th January round. Do you guys know how long does it take in general before hearing from the dept about interviews etc? Also, is there any info on the Oxford website about the quotas of funded places (by AHRC, EPSRC, etc) each department gets?

8-10 weeks, officially. Although I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out earlier, on average.

What's your course? I submitted my application the the M.St. Modern British and European history yesterday. In my case, they don't interview, and I am sincerely hoping for an AHRC that I know will be competitive :smile:
Original post by HistoryHistory
8-10 weeks, officially. Although I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out earlier, on average.

What's your course? I submitted my application the the M.St. Modern British and European history yesterday. In my case, they don't interview, and I am sincerely hoping for an AHRC that I know will be competitive :smile:

I'm applying for a DPhil. Good luck with your application! How competitive is the AHRC funding?
I'm applying for a DPhil. Good luck with your application! How competitive is the AHRC funding?

Rather. As they might say in Oxford.

Although I understand that one third of Doctoral students are funded, as compared with one tenth of Master's students, so you are better placed than me! However, I am quoting History statistics, so I might be talking utter nonsense with regard to your context.
Original post by HistoryHistory
Rather. As they might say in Oxford.

Although I understand that one third of Doctoral students are funded, as compared with one tenth of Master's students, so you are better placed than me! However, I am quoting History statistics, so I might be talking utter nonsense with regard to your context.

Yeah, but be careful. Your post makes it sound that there are enough scholarships for one third of the applicants, whereas the sad truth is that the vast majority of the applicants who don't get funding do not take up their offers because they cannot afford it.
But just to give an example, last year during my MSt in Oxford about 12 people got offers for the DPhil but only 3 took up their offers in the end. One of them is funded. So that actually matches your statistics completely but it doesn't reveal the actual statistics, which was 9 people having to go because there was no money :tongue:
Reply 385
Original post by .Inspired
Hi! Thanks for the tip.. I just spoke to the Graduate Studies Secretary of my department (Psychiatry) and she said that the format of the interview would be for me to meet the panel and then they would ask me a few questions about myself, and then about the research that I propose to do at Oxford. She said that I won't be asked to do a presentation of any sort..

So, considering there is no presentation, do you think they would still quiz me critically on my past work? I'm thinking they might quiz me critically on my research proposal.. :/

Ah, I see. For the biological sciences we do not have to submit a research proposal of any sort, so therein lies the difference in interview formats I suppose. :smile: It does look like you will be quizzed critically on your research proposal (I would make sure I know it inside out), but no harm refreshing yourself on past work, you know, just in case for the 'so, what other work have you done in the past and what did you learn from it' kind of questions. :smile:
Found out yesterday morning from the modern languages dept. - will be re-evaluated for the next round and will be hearing back 'as soon as possible.' Does that mean at the same time as the 18th jan applicants (i.e. end of march onwards) and does anyone know the chances of actually getting an offer after being re-evaluated?
Reply 387
Original post by vancee
Ah, I see. For the biological sciences we do not have to submit a research proposal of any sort, so therein lies the difference in interview formats I suppose. :smile: It does look like you will be quizzed critically on your research proposal (I would make sure I know it inside out), but no harm refreshing yourself on past work, you know, just in case for the 'so, what other work have you done in the past and what did you learn from it' kind of questions. :smile:

Thanks a lot! :smile: Will let you know how it went..
Original post by *Corinna*
Yeah, but be careful. Your post makes it sound that there are enough scholarships for one third of the applicants, whereas the sad truth is that the vast majority of the applicants who don't get funding do not take up their offers because they cannot afford it.
But just to give an example, last year during my MSt in Oxford about 12 people got offers for the DPhil but only 3 took up their offers in the end. One of them is funded. So that actually matches your statistics completely but it doesn't reveal the actual statistics, which was 9 people having to go because there was no money :tongue:

Do you know if any figures exist concerning the no of funded places in each department?
Do you know if any figures exist concerning the no of funded places in each department?

each department tends to mention in their website how many awards they have.
each department tends to mention in their website how many awards they have.

My department's website seems not to have them, and so I was wondering whether the info can be found somewhere else. :frown:
My department's website seems not to have them, and so I was wondering whether the info can be found somewhere else. :frown:

I don't know...I once saw a list from the AHRC I think that said how many awards they had given to each university/department. But I don't know where I saw it...
Hey everyone!
Does anybody have experience with applying to Oxford for a masters (taught)?
I applied for English before the 18th Jan deadline... wondered how long they take usually to give an answer?

Thanks
Reply 393
:hello: I've applied for the Systems Approaches to Biomedical Science Industrial Doctorate Centre!

At least, I hope I have. My third reference still hasn't been submitted, despite me having sent a few frantic e-mails yesterday. :s-smilie:
I don't know...I once saw a list from the AHRC I think that said how many awards they had given to each university/department. But I don't know where I saw it...

I have a feeling I have seen one on the AHRC website perhaps :confused: But it was a while ago, perhaps six months, and my memory is bad :tongue:
Ok, so after years of obsessing if I will get in, I just received my offer for D.Phil in Oriental studies! SUPER excited, but now its time to obsess about.....funding. I am an overseas student, and there is no way I can afford the tuition and college fees on my own. I applied for all the possible scholarships that are open to me.

For now, I await the college decision, I applied for St.Antony because it has the Middle East Centre, which is relevant to my field. Scholarship decisions should start coming in April/May 2013.

Anyone have an idea when the college decision comes? I applied for by the November deadline and got accepted early January.

Also, anyone else got into a D.Phil in Oriental Studies and awaiting college/scholarship decisions? lets obsess about it together !! :biggrin:#solidarity
Original post by Oriental Studies
Ok, so after years of obsessing if I will get in, I just received my offer for D.Phil in Oriental studies! SUPER excited, but now its time to obsess about.....funding. I am an overseas student, and there is no way I can afford the tuition and college fees on my own. I applied for all the possible scholarships that are open to me.

For now, I await the college decision, I applied for St.Antony because it has the Middle East Centre, which is relevant to my field. Scholarship decisions should start coming in April/May 2013.

Anyone have an idea when the college decision comes? I applied for by the November deadline and got accepted early January.

Also, anyone else got into a D.Phil in Oriental Studies and awaiting college/scholarship decisions? lets obsess about it together !! :biggrin:#solidarity

congratulations on your offer. I hope you manage to get funding. Generally if you are accepted by your first choice (which I suspect you will be as St. Antony is not a particularly popular choice) you should hear in about 4-5 weeks (at least I did). But as I said, I think you have good chances of getting in. Good luck
congratulations on your offer. I hope you manage to get funding. Generally if you are accepted by your first choice (which I suspect you will be as St. Antony is not a particularly popular choice) you should hear in about 4-5 weeks (at least I did). But as I said, I think you have good chances of getting in. Good luck

Thanks for your reply, I am super excited that I got in, been dreaming about it since I was a kid.

I hope I get in to St.Antony, but my main concern is the scholarship, which I have been totally obsessing about. The clarendon seems ridiculously competitive and based on previous academic performance. My undergraduate performance wasn't stellar, but I got my MA with High Distinction and First class honors from a top Australian university (which I guess helped me get in my D.Phil program) so fingers crossed with my relevant work experience in the field would make me competitive for a scholarship! Any thoughts on the Clarendon, anyone? Weidenfeld?

Any Oriental Studies/Middle East Studies people who want to obsess/compare notes, please do get in touch!
Original post by Oriental Studies
Thanks for your reply, I am super excited that I got in, been dreaming about it since I was a kid.

I hope I get in to St.Antony, but my main concern is the scholarship, which I have been totally obsessing about. The clarendon seems ridiculously competitive and based on previous academic performance. My undergraduate performance wasn't stellar, but I got my MA with High Distinction and First class honors from a top Australian university (which I guess helped me get in my D.Phil program) so fingers crossed with my relevant work experience in the field would make me competitive for a scholarship! Any thoughts on the Clarendon, anyone? Weidenfeld?

Any Oriental Studies/Middle East Studies people who want to obsess/compare notes, please do get in touch!

Yeah, funding is everyone's obsession :tongue:
Have you applied anywhere else?
Yeah, funding is everyone's obsession :tongue:
Have you applied anywhere else?

Yes I have applied and been accepted in Australia at a top Uni there, and I secured funding too. The funding situation is much better in Aus (for domestic students anyways) than in the UK and Europe (Damn you GFC and Euro-zone meltdown!) but still, I hope I am able to secure the funding for Oxford which is my Plan A, but I am fortunate that I do have my down-under Plan B.

Pretty surreal that the decision which continent I spend the next 4 years of my life is being made in a meeting room in Oxford. I guess now its a waiting game! :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending