The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford postgraduate applicants 2014/15

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by derweise
Im sorry, my question was really lacking further information. My course does not require written work, so I thought it may mean you dont have to submit written work, but if you do, it affects your application negatively or positively depending on the quality of the written work.

Nevertheless thanks for replying!

I highly recommend not sending any additional materials that are not directly required by the department. They do not have time to consider them anyway. At best, they may neglect them and at worst they may be detrimental to your application.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by Nichrome
Just a quick question, can your referees see your application form on embark after you submit your application?

What are you hiding? :tongue:
Reply 582
Original post by santei
My referees were not able to view any aspects of my application (MSc in Psych. Research & MSt in Phil of Physics).

Ah, I also applied for the MSt in Phil of Physics. It's such a wonderful course! Apparently the board meeting is going to be later this month. Best of luck to you!!!
Reply 583
Original post by derweise
Im sorry, my question was really lacking further information. My course does not require written work, so I thought it may mean you dont have to submit written work, but if you do, it affects your application negatively or positively depending on the quality of the written work.

Nevertheless thanks for replying!

Given that your course doesn't require written work, if I were you I would not submit written work.
Reply 584
Has anyone received an invitation for interview in regard to Mst. in Mathematics and the Foundations of Computer Science ?

I received the invitation last week.
Guys, if anyone has to be or even been interviewed for this course, sharing your experience / understanding would be very much appreciated.

Best,
Reply 585
Hi guys. I applied in January for the MSC in Russian and East European Studies and got an email today stating
'We are unable to make you an offer of a place at this stage. We will however re-evaluate your application against other candidates who apply through the next available application deadline on 8th March'

according to the PG website this means that 'In some cases the department may feel you have met the criteria for acceptance but they are unable to make any more offers as part of the application deadline in which you have applied. In this instance they will either consider your application as part of the next deadline'

Anyone know what my chances might be? Also would I still be considered for scholarships as I did apply on time originally.
Reply 586
Hey sherbaz,

don't worry too much. I know many people who were reevaluated and then got in! Just think about it this way: If they thought your application wasn't strong enough they would have given you a rejection.

I am not sure about the funding...best to contact the department and ask them directly. They are usually very helpful.

Good luck to you!
Original post by ivankiv

I couldn't tell you what your chances might be (although I'm not hopeful personally), but I think that unfortunately it does take you out of the running for scholarships etc.

This depends. I'm being re-evalued in the medieval and modern languages department, I applied in November and was told that I was being reconsidered with the January round. I asked whether or not this means I'd still be considered for funding and the graduate admissions guys told me 'of course. Why not?' I'm not sure whether or not this applies for those being reconsidered for March.

However, being reconsidered clearly means that we're not the most competitive students even if we do get onto the course, which realistically means we won't be getting funding. I think.
Original post by ivankiv
Essentially that was what I meant, but perhaps my response was a little unclear as I was only referring to sherbaz24. To the best of my knowledge, those being re-evaluated in the March round will not be considered for funding. The deadline for the vast majority of scholarships and UK Research Council Funding was in January, and an offer in the March round would simply come too late.

Ah right, sorry for my part in the confusion.
Original post by psychedelicious
Has anybody who's applied to the Faculty of History heard anything at all yet? If not when can we expect to hear something. The wait is killing me.

Heeeeeeyy acquaintance from the other thread. I have heard nothing, I expect to hear mid march

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 590
Has anyone who applied for M.Sc. in Applied Statistics, received any correspondence from the department as of yet ?
Reply 591
Has anybody who's applied to the Faculty of History heard anything at all yet? If not when can we expect to hear something. The wait is killing me.

For the November round, they sent out my reply on January 14th, bang on mid-Jan really :smile: Unfortunately for me I'm being re-evaluated :frown: those who were told by email found out a day or two earlier but I wouldn't expect to hear anything until at least the second week in March.
Hello there. Thanks for your reply. Don't you go to a crap University?:tongue:

Perhaps, but as a matter of fact I have a Cambridge offer, MY GOOD SIR :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you really? Well it's not Harvard or MIT but still...:biggrin: Also a 2.2 from Oxbridge/LSE beats a 1st from an ex-poly I'll have you know.

Joking aside, which will it be Oxford or Cambridge?

I will follow the funding, and if none appears, definitely cambridge. Yourself? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
An ex-poly? Oh yuck. I heard we'll hear by the end of March, by the way. Seems likely I'll go to MAAAUDLIN though unless Oxford give me Adrian Gregory and I don't like the one Cambridge assign me.
Reply 595
Original post by mousa
I applied for the Mphil :smile:

Best of luck. Have you heard anything? The wait is very difficult.
Original post by Oriental Studies
Ok, so after years of obsessing if I will get in, I just received my offer for D.Phil in Oriental studies! SUPER excited, but now its time to obsess about.....funding. I am an overseas student, and there is no way I can afford the tuition and college fees on my own. I applied for all the possible scholarships that are open to me.

For now, I await the college decision, I applied for St.Antony because it has the Middle East Centre, which is relevant to my field. Scholarship decisions should start coming in April/May 2013.

Anyone have an idea when the college decision comes? I applied for by the November deadline and got accepted early January.

Also, anyone else got into a D.Phil in Oriental Studies and awaiting college/scholarship decisions? lets obsess about it together !! :biggrin:#solidarity

Hi there. Applied to the DPhil in OS by 18 Jan deadline, so awaiting a response in the coming weeks. In case of an offer, I will have, like you, funding to worry about. During the interview (three faculty members from the research center incl. prospective SV) I was told (twice) to make sure to tick the box for Clarendon, though, as you will know, there is no such box, and consideration for the scholarship is automatic. Was told flat-out AHRC to forget about AHRC. Put down Wolfson because that's where most of the faculty relevant to my research seem to be. I did also notice the Wolfson/Clarendon bursaries, which is encouraging, but the excitement wanes when you consider the unlikelihood of landing one, by virtue of the sheer number of us. I already have an offer from SOAS, but still waiting for the outcome of the various funding schemes there.
Oh well *******s to it if I don't get in. I got Christopher Bayly at Cambridge.

Lucky you. I understand he retires within two years!
Does anyone hear anything from Mphil in IR?
Reply 599
So I have been lucky enough to get hold of a fully funded DPhil at Oxford and I am of course very excited. However my application process was kind of impulsive and had to be done in 4 days, so considering which college to apply for was not really a priority. So I just checked that I had no priority.
So out of curiosity while waiting to be allocated to a college - Is there some colleges that you are semi-automatically allocated to when you don't have any wishes, and in that case which?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending