The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford postgraduate applicants 2014/15

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by psychedelicious
Sorry to hear that. Good that you've recognised on your profile which part of England is the best though.

: ) Which is why I'm more than happy to be going to York for my MA (Medieval Literatures)! And I'm on the reserve list for AHRC funding there, so I'm still keeping all of my fingers crossed...
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by freija
I beat you to it with the rejection, I'm afraid... : p Mine came in the post this morning.

Part of me feels that I should be taking this harder than I am. I'm mostly disappointed that the letter wasn't illuminated and/or sent via some sort of carrier bird.

Was that for English?

I'm sorry to hear that. but you will do fabulously wherever you go, I'm sure x
Reply 982
Original post by seniororyx
Was that for English?

Wow! Where are the geog DPhil applicants? Anyone?? Good news or rejection??
Original post by GabrielleT
For those of you who are interested, about half the Clarendon scholarships have already been attributed (assuming they give out approximately 100 awards this year as in previous years.) Only two divisions announced their results though, there's still hope! (http://www.clarendon.ox.ac.uk/2013_results/)

Ah, thanks so much for sharing! It seems there still is some hope for Humanities students :smile:
Reply 984
Original post by Oxfordman
Wow! Where are the geog DPhil applicants? Anyone?? Good news or rejection??

Oxfordman, I can assure you that everyone in this thread knows about your hunt for any information on geography DPhils and if they had any information, they would post it. Please, a dozen posts with the same question won't make anyone more eager to help you out.

That said, the longer the wait, the more I get the feeling that whoever is sending out the results is thoroughly enjoying our suffering and looks kind of like this: snidely-whiplash_6902.jpg Especially in the ODID and Politics departments.
Reply 985
Original post by seniororyx
Was that for English?

Thank you! : ) Yes, that was for English.

Best of luck to everyone still waiting! No news seems to be good news at the moment - maybe they are sending the offers out last? : p
Original post by Oxfordman
Same here!
The funny thing is that it is not just the January round application, it seems to be that no one at all have heard from the geog dept right from the beginning. Anyone who applied for the Nov round deadline heard their outcome??

Surely if you tell Oxford to stick it up its arse, you won't be Oxfordman any more but simply 'man'?

History department at Oxford, Centre of South Asian Studies at Cambridge. My comment about Oxford not having an equivalent to CAMSIS still stands though in my opinion.

I'm not sure I agree, to be honest. Oxford said to me when I submitted my application in mid-November that I could expect to hear at the end of March. (Of of my references was slow so I was assessed at the Jan deadline)
Compared to Cambridge, which I checked every day for almost four months before my offer, I have had basically no agonising over Oxford because they told me when I'd hear, and so I didn't bother worrying about it before. All Camsis does is allows you to see a number of processes of a stage which aren't even always representative of the actuality (like sj27 being offered both place and college but saying 'awaiting consideration'). Added to that it gives the tantalising prospect you might hear something which really ****s things up.
Realistically, I've been anticipating an answer from Oxford for two days now (this is the second) and even then I'm only half expecting. I wouldn't be surprised if they posted on Wednesday and reach us on Friday or even Sat/Mon. Compared to four months, less than a week is fine. I can take that.
Reply 987
Original post by Schichtoe
Surely if you tell Oxford to stick it up its arse, you won't be Oxfordman any more but simply 'man'?

I'm not sure I agree, to be honest. Oxford said to me when I submitted my application in mid-November that I could expect to hear at the end of March. (Of of my references was slow so I was assessed at the Jan deadline)
Compared to Cambridge, which I checked every day for almost four months before my offer, I have had basically no agonising over Oxford because they told me when I'd hear, and so I didn't bother worrying about it before. All Camsis does is allows you to see a number of processes of a stage which aren't even always representative of the actuality (like sj27 being offered both place and college but saying 'awaiting consideration'). Added to that it gives the tantalising prospect you might hear something which really ****s things up.
Realistically, I've been anticipating an answer from Oxford for two days now (this is the second) and even then I'm only half expecting. I wouldn't be surprised if they posted on Wednesday and reach us on Friday or even Sat/Mon. Compared to four months, less than a week is fine. I can take that.

To be fair - Cambridge does say a minimum of 3 months is to be expected, and on certain courses they specify dates.

(Returns to lurk status :ninja: )
Offer for MSt in Medieval History!!! :woo::woo::woo:
Original post by kittyb99

Woooo! :biggrin: Congratulations, you!
Did you get it by post or e-mail? Oh congratulations too! Too wrapped up in myself.

By email :smile:

And thank you Schichtoe!! Very excited!!
Did you get it by post or e-mail? Oh congratulations too! Too wrapped up in myself.

Looks like acceptances are coming first...we're in trouble my friend!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yayyy

Posted from TSR Mobile
By email :smile:

And thank you Schichtoe!! Very excited!!

Sounds like you need a cup of tea.

Original post by HistoryHistory
Looks like acceptances are coming first...we're in trouble my friend!

The master of reading too much in to it strikes again. :tongue: I reckon they likely do it either course by course or arbitrarily. Once MSt. in Modern British & European History people get acceptances, then you can perhaps worry. Cup of tea for you too.

That's right, sj. I've now taken to prescribing cups of tea.

The master of reading too much in to it strikes again. :tongue: I reckon they likely do it either course by course or arbitrarily. Once MSt. in Modern British & European History people get acceptances, then you can perhaps worry. Cup of tea for you too.

I might actually go as far as an espresso

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 995

Oh, Schichtoe, you are always looking out for us, prescribing lots of tea! But if certain departments keep dragging their feet on delivering our fates, I think I might have to start lacing my tea with a healthy dose of peppermint schnapps! :beer:
Original post by HistoryHistory
I might actually go as far as an espresso

Yeah my whole body is ploughed with caffeine pretty much all the time.

I thought I'd get my decision sooner solely due to the fact that it's probably the least popular History M.St or maybe it's the opposite; I'm last in line. Who knows?

Haha this is such wild speculation. Your course's popularity likely has nothing to do with it, and if it did you'd either get it sooner or later, you're right. :tongue: Tell you what though, boys. 'Medieval' comes before 'Modern' alphabetically, doesn't it...?! :O
Original post by EmceeKenz
Oh, Schichtoe, you are always looking out for us, prescribing lots of tea! But if certain departments keep dragging their feet on delivering our fates, I think I might have to start lacing my tea with a healthy dose of peppermint schnapps! :beer:

Haha Emcee I'm Scottish, mine is already laced. :cool:
Tell you what though, boys. 'Medieval' comes before 'Modern' alphabetically, doesn't it...?! :O

Not to mention historically.

See? I know stuff! They should let me in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 999
Original post by vandergraaff
So I have my formal offer letter for DPhil Classical Arch., I see I need to give evidence of grades by 30th of Aug, but my Dissertation hand in is not until sep. (course starts Oct 14th) knowing my luck I'll get funding and be unable to take up my place. Anyone know if there is a way around it (I've emailed archaeology to ask too)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same for me, I believe I won't even get my grades until October. However, apparently it's not a problem, you can apply for waiver.

@Oxfordman: Oh dear!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending