The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford postgraduate applicants 2014/15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Windgust
For the humanities, the Clarendon results will be communicated on the 25th of April. At least this is what the website says.

March http://www.clarendon.ox.ac.uk/2013_results/
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by samsicle
Yep, I had asked about when I would hear back about a week ago and the grad admissions tutor replied today telling me that I was in a:

"horrible position to be in, because you won't know for ages whether this works out or not".

What a babe. Apparently I'll get a letter in the post explaining the sitch (old school) but basically I'll hear sometime between May-August. If enough people have declined their places due to lack of funding/other then they'll give me an offer otherwise not so much. In any case I think Cambridge should be pretty cool so I'm not too gutted :smile:

Tbh it's probably a positive sign if you guys haven't heard back yet :smile: best of luck!

Thanks, Sammy! Hope the status changes for you sooner rather than later! :smile:
Reply 1182
Original post by Filipinoecon
Okay! I cracked! I sent them (ODID) an email and I'll let you know what they say (if they do reply). I used my Barcelona offer deadline as an excuse ;D.

Thank you! I had emailed them on Friday too. Let us know if you get any news! :smile:
Original post by Windgust
For the humanities, the Clarendon results will be communicated on the 25th of April. At least this is what the website says.

I expect a bouquet by means of apology.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1184
For all you Politics and IR applicants: offer, MPhil European Politics and Society. Of course the backup application is the first to get back to me, lol. At least part of my tension is gone, so yay for that. :smile:
Reply 1185

Whoooops! Of course, March. :smile: Sorry
I strongly suspect that the history department at least sent out replies by post using second class stamps. £50 application and I've waited over four months now, and a second class stamp!
"Deadline is Wednesday", they said. Wrong bloody Wednesday, I said.
Reply 1187
So the impossible happened today. I received an offer from Oxford for PhD International Relations! It's like all my luck came at once. I was told via email, by the way.

They nominated me for ESRC quota studentship, but said they have to wait for the DTC to ratify it and that decision is coming on the 27th March. Does anyone know if this is just a rubber-stamping process or if ratification is just another round of competition? I mean, does being nominated mean you basically have the studentship?
Original post by Schichtoe
I strongly suspect that the history department at least sent out replies by post using second class stamps. £50 application and I've waited over four months now, and a second class stamp!

I'm finding this hard to decipher :P. Have you had a letter from them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Someone got a dphil offer for mod Brit history today btw

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HistoryHistory
I'm finding this hard to decipher :P. Have you had a letter from them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, I'm just guessing since apparently everything was posted on Monday and I didn't receive anything today, but it could just be that, since I'm in Scotland, and we have heavy snow, it's taking two days. Although it's weird you also didn't receive anything. Oh well!

I guess tomorrow is the judgement day *sings Les Mis*
Reply 1191
Accepted for MPhil in IR this morning
Original post by GabrielleT
Clarendon decisions come out on March 25th for humanities and social sciences. :smile:
Most people just accept their offer and then withdraw later if funding doesn't come through; this way your application is passed on to colleges more quickly.

I haven't accepted my offer, and yet I was offered a college place 19 days after I was given my place (and about a week after the official letter via email).

Should I take this as a positive sign that I might have funding? Last time I didn't get funding, and I got my letter from my college, months and months later.

My college wants me to reply to them by the end of April, is this to time-scale it with a scholarship?!

Oh I hate this waiting!
Original post by vandergraaff
I haven't accepted my offer, and yet I was offered a college place 19 days after I was given my place (and about a week after the official letter via email).

Should I take this as a positive sign that I might have funding? Last time I didn't get funding, and I got my letter from my college, months and months later.

My college wants me to reply to them by the end of April, is this to time-scale it with a scholarship?!

Oh I hate this waiting!

You are reading too much into this. My college also wanted me to reply by the end of April, that's because they want to know how many people will accept their offers.
Nope, I'm just guessing since apparently everything was posted on Monday and I didn't receive anything today, but it could just be that, since I'm in Scotland, and we have heavy snow, it's taking two days. Although it's weird you also didn't receive anything. Oh well!

I guess tomorrow is the judgement day *sings Les Mis*

Rats :P. where did you hear about them posting on Monday? Yeah I'm in the south west so would possibly have heard already, had a letter been sent

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Corinna*
You are reading too much into this. My college also wanted me to reply by the end of April, that's because they want to know how many people will accept their offers.

Oh very definitely. I'm not genuinely considering this I'm just asking the opinion of someone that has some genuine insight (and studies in the department that I'm applying to). Claws away :wink:.
Original post by HistoryHistory
Rats :P. where did you hear about them posting on Monday? Yeah I'm in the south west so would possibly have heard already, had a letter been sent

Posted from TSR Mobile

Err in one of the email replies they sent out, I thought I remembered them saying something to that effect. Could be wrong. :smile:
From the notes about AHRC funding on the website;

UABs submit nominations to Oxford’s AHRC BGP Panel Mid March 2013
Oxford Studentships Panel meeting Late March
UABs send letters to candidates, informing them of the outcome of their AHRC application April/May 2013
Candidates confirm to UABs that they wish to be take up the award or withdraw their nominations end May 2013
Original post by GabrielleT
Clarendon decisions come out on March 25th for humanities and social sciences. :smile:
Most people just accept their offer and then withdraw later if funding doesn't come through; this way your application is passed on to colleges more quickly.

But, wouldn't that require that I decline my other offers (something that I would prefer not to do until I have heard word on the major funding scholarships..)?? Or, is the initial offer something different?

Sorry, from the States so not entirely sure how the "offer" system works in Britain.
Original post by vandergraaff
Oh very definitely. I'm not genuinely considering this I'm just asking the opinion of someone that has some genuine insight (and studies in the department that I'm applying to). Claws away :wink:.

your question is not related to the department anyway, it has to do with the college that accepted you, and the speed can be defined by many factors, i.e. whether it was your first choice, whether it's a big college etc. Being accepted by a top college is never a bad sign, but colleges decide based on too many aspects, of whom academic merit is only one. In any case, them asking you to reply by a certain date is common practice and has nothing to do with whether you have funding or not.
No claws (no reason for it anyway, it's not like we are competing against each other), just pointing out. You asked peoples' opinion and I gave you mine (which was that you read too much into this). If you don't like it don't take it. I realise people are stressed but logic shall show you the way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending