University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford postgraduate applicants 2014/15

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by Schichtoe
Waiting Masters History students:

Dear Calum,

Apologies for not getting a decision to you. You are still down as a 'Query' on our internal database - I can't tell you why that is and what is behind it. All I know is that your application is still under discussion and that we know it'll take a bit longer. To add to your anxiety I have to say that we will be closing this office in an hour or so, for Easter, that I will then be off for a week, and that the Graduate Officer, who chases up decisions and gets all the information, is away this week for a family funeral and back mid-next week. I have made a note that you need a decision urgently and I am certain that Dr Stadler's attention will focus on those few outstanding decisions as soon as he gets back.

That's frustrating! Maybe they are checking up some of your references? Or they are looking for a potential supervisor? In any case, you haven't been rejected, so this must mean that there must be a reason for torturing you a bit longer...

Good luck!
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 1581
Original post by Tweedy
I am in the middle of a hateful essay, and might focus better if I get some news. Think that's a good enough excuse to phone my department?

yes!
Reply 1582
Original post by Tweedy
I am in the middle of a hateful essay, and might focus better if I get some news. Think that's a good enough excuse to phone my department?

Hi Tweedy. Are you in the linguistics department?
Reply 1583
Original post by Bella_trixxx
Offer from my top choice college, New! Wheeee :biggrin:

Congrats on your college offer :smile:
Original post by HistoryHistory
This is a bit of a comedy! I don't think it says anything at all about your (our) applications, other than no decision being made. I think someone who was wait-listed already heard back earlier in the thread (not that that necessarily means anything). <br />
<br />
<br />
Anyway, Cambridge.
<br />
<br />

Well yes, the only thing is that it seems to me this delay completely removes the possibility of funding. I'd like to know, because if this is indeed the case, then I will simply accept my Cambridge offer.

Original post by Windgust
That's frustrating! Maybe they are checking up some of your references? Or they are looking for a potential supervisor? In any case, you haven't been rejected, so this must mean that there must be a reason for torturing you a
bit longer...<br />
<br />
Good luck!
<br />
<br />

Yeah thanks. Will be 5 months since my application was submitted by the time I hear. Wasn't wait listed. Not sure what to think...
I caved and called Archaeology. Failed to get Clarendon and AHRC. But she didn't know the results of certain college and departmental bursaries (half funding or below).

That's it for me really, I'm just going to accept that Oxford is over for me this year.

My supervisor is more relevant at Leicester, so now I have to wait for their AHRC and internal funding announcements (their deadline is in 4 days for new applicants!) there. Disappointed but I know I probably won't get funding there either. Just going to have to dust myself off and focus on my Masters thesis and my upcoming publications, then reapply in November.
Reply 1586
Original post by ethey
Hi Tweedy. Are you in the linguistics department?

Modern and Medieval Languages, I'm afraid! I know some folk from my uni heard from linguistics weeks ago, and was at once excited, impressed, and slightly jealous of their efficiency!

x
Reply 1587
Didn't get Clarendon or ESRC, so too will have to accept that I won't be taking up the DPhil. Come what may and all that jazz...
Original post by Xona
Didn't get Clarendon or ESRC, so too will have to accept that I won't be taking up the DPhil. Come what may and all that jazz...

Join the gang, clever enough but not wealthy enough :wink:.
I applied for MSt in Medieval History but haven't heard anything back yet. So it sounds like if I don't get news today, I'll probably have to wait until after Easter? And for those of you who have heard, was it through email?
Reply 1590
Original post by Xona

Sorry to hear this :frown: which department are you? did they tell you or did you email/call?
Reply 1591
Original post by Xona

Boo! That's such a shame! Never know - now might be the time to start hustling at poker or playing competitive chess in Vegas...

Keep your chin up. :smile:
Reply 1592
Original post by vandergraaff
Join the gang, clever enough but not wealthy enough :wink:.

So true! Like there is just no way I could pay for it and no bank would possibly give me a loan for it. Just a bit upset as the dream is over. Oh well.
Original post by Xona
So true! Like there is just no way I could pay for it and no bank would possibly give me a loan for it. Just a bit upset as the dream is over. Oh well.

Maybe there's a chance you can go back and do it later. Not quite the same as being able to go now, but that's what I'm telling myself if my scholarship/loan plans don't work out.
Original post by Schichtoe
<br />
<br />

Well yes, the only thing is that it seems to me this delay completely removes the possibility of funding. I'd like to know, because if this is indeed the case, then I will simply accept my Cambridge offer.

<br />
<br />

Yeah thanks. Will be 5 months since my application was submitted by the time I hear. Wasn't wait listed. Not sure what to think...

They certainly haven't endeared themselves. But perhaps we are being unfair, given the initial 'late march onwards' prediction.

And yes, it is cold. Brrrrrrr.
Original post by millyb60
So some departments ARE informing unsuccessful applicants? Interesting. Would you mind telling us if you know whether that email was just sent to anthro people or if it's possible to tell if it was sent to a wider group? If I'm not mistaken, anthro is in the Social Sciences group, just like law is, so here's hoping lawyers get some decisions soon too...

E-mailed the law department earlier today (before 2 pm). Haven't heard back yet.
Original post by medhistory
I applied for MSt in Medieval History but haven't heard anything back yet. So it sounds like if I don't get news today, I'll probably have to wait until after Easter? And for those of you who have heard, was it through email?

Yeah, I heard through email :smile: The sender was 'ga' and subject was just 'application outcome'. Their lack of capitals upset me :colondollar: Good luck with your application and I hope the good news comes soon :smile:
Reply 1597
News should be soon, apparently.

I need to learn not to sound like a blithering idiot on the phone.
I feel exactly the same about funding - law masters offers from Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard and NYU with (as of yet) absolutely no way of paying for them.

I knew the US ones would be out of the question without a scholarship (wasn't selected for Fulbright or Kennedy), yet through the applications to Oxbridge I just thought everything would be fine - loans, sheer luck etc. But now I'm faced with the reality of it all I'm rather anxious about the future - not exactly conducive to good exam revision either! My own fault I suppose.

Please money gods, smile favourably upon us!
Original post by vandergraaff
I caved and called Archaeology. Failed to get Clarendon and AHRC. But she didn't know the results of certain college and departmental bursaries (half funding or below).

That's it for me really, I'm just going to accept that Oxford is over for me this year.

My supervisor is more relevant at Leicester, so now I have to wait for their AHRC and internal funding announcements (their deadline is in 4 days for new applicants!) there. Disappointed but I know I probably won't get funding there either. Just going to have to dust myself off and focus on my Masters thesis and my upcoming publications, then reapply in November.

I'm sorry to hear that. I didn't get anything from Oxford for my DPhil either, although they had given me the AHRC for my MSt, which is supposedly even more difficult to get (as there are less scholarships for more applicants). In general, funding in the humanities in Oxford is getting worse and worse, and colleges have way less scholarships available than e.g. in Cambridge. It really isn't representative of your abilities, although I realise it might be difficult to believe. This goes for Xona as well.
I hope Leicester works out for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending