The Student Room Group

Gap year student retaking few A level modules?! HELP

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hey Salina I did consider the transfer scheme but I kind of thought that it wasn't worth it because first of all its not for definite whether you will get A place because it depends on the numbers of students they can admit for 2013 before any transfers can be done depending on whether there is space and also If worse comes to worse I didn't want to be in the situation where I am doing a degree that I hate. Other than this if I decide to do pharmacy after pharmaceutical I will have to fund my self as it would be my second degree for some reason the government only funds you for your first degree. What have you decided to do? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 41
@ Anjna I have friends who are attending these universities this year and have been told that their facilities are really good as well as their teaching. One of my mums friends son went to Kingston and he really enjoyed it and also a girl from my church goes to Kent she doesn't do pharmacy but has said that their standard of teaching is really good also
Reply 42
I'm in same position...got ABB in Psych, Bio and Chem. Need to get AAB to get into Chemistry or AAA for chance of scholarship. If I go for AAA it would mean resitting an extra 2 modules in a subject I absolutely detest (biology).

Should I go for AAA?
Reply 43
Original post by Naami
I'm in same position...got ABB in Psych, Bio and Chem. Need to get AAB to get into Chemistry or AAA for chance of scholarship. If I go for AAA it would mean resitting an extra 2 modules in a subject I absolutely detest (biology).

Should I go for AAA?

well if you have got time on your hands now that you are taking a year out, why not? aim high right... :smile: how much modules would you be retaking altogether?
Original post by Naami

Should I go for AAA?

what uni?

I would resit..what else have you got planned for the year?
Reply 45
Original post by Anjna
well if you have got time on your hands now that you are taking a year out, why not? aim high right... :smile: how much modules would you be retaking altogether?

It would be 4 modules (gonna be so expensive!)

Original post by Cutmeloose
what uni?

I would resit..what else have you got planned for the year?

I don't have anything planned. I'll probably travel after resits though.

Meh, I'll prob try for the AAA. I know a friend who is trying for A*AAB after getting BBBC.
Reply 46
Original post by Naami
It would be 4 modules (gonna be so expensive!)

I don't have anything planned. I'll probably travel after resits though.

Meh, I'll prob try for the AAA. I know a friend who is trying for A*AAB after getting BBBC.

where you a few UMS makrs off an A? if so then you should deffinately consider resitting them :smile:
Reply 47
@Naami Did you apply this time round for uni or did you plan to do a gap year originally? If your determined to get AAA I definitely think you should go for it. It will require hard work ofcourse but at the end of the day if means you'll get into uni doing a course you absolutely love then definitely consider resitting :smile:
Reply 48
Original post by Anjna
where you a few UMS makrs off an A? if so then you should deffinately consider resitting them :smile:

Haha, nope not even close. I was 14 UMS off an A for bio and 17 for chem which is why I'll have to opt for 2 resits per subject for a better chance of an A. I've decided to go ahead and resit :smile: I'm also planning on raking some knitting classes as I've been wanting to learn for years!
Reply 49
Has anyone finished off their ucas application yet because I've heard that the earlier you do it the quicker you'll hear from unis about offers but that wasn't the case for me last year I had to wait until January until I heard anything :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by cupcake93
Has anyone finished off their ucas application yet because I've heard that the earlier you do it the quicker you'll hear from unis about offers but that wasn't the case for me last year I had to wait until January until I heard anything :smile:

ive not started mine, simply becasue im still going to open days and deciding on what unis to apply to... sometimes even though you fill it out ealier you dont hear from them for a quite a while after so i wouldnt be worried, as long as you send it before the deadline :smile:
Reply 51
Good luck to all of you. I would recommend trying for summer placements, trying to get some work experience on top of the revision. Top 10 universities don't usually take kindly to someone quite literally taking an extra year revising, and not taking the initiative to work as well.

My story was that at the end of AS I had BBEU. In A2 I retook the exams, as well as the new A2 modules, and ended up with A*A*AB. Now I will be going off to study politics and international relations at York.
Reply 52
Original post by Anjna
i was wondering the same thing, do we log in through a school or independantly? hmma anyone?

Im taking a gap year (studying as an external candidate this year) as i missed my uni grades (got BBBC not AAB, in total i was 11 UMS off though = gutted!) in summer, am applying independently but linking my application to my college so they do my referance which you can do in the options section of your independent application, but you'll need to let your college know to get the 'buzzword' off them. Its pretty much the same as last year if you do it like this :smile:
Hey Salina I did consider the transfer scheme but I kind of thought that it wasn't worth it because first of all its not for definite whether you will get A place because it depends on the numbers of students they can admit for 2013 before any transfers can be done depending on whether there is space and also If worse comes to worse I didn't want to be in the situation where I am doing a degree that I hate. Other than this if I decide to do pharmacy after pharmaceutical I will have to fund my self as it would be my second degree for some reason the government only funds you for your first degree. What have you decided to do? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

Hii, sorry for the late reply :smile:

Those were my thoughts exaculy! Its quite difficult because there was that pressure of just going to uni this year, but I didnt want to be stuck doing a degree I didnt enjoy. I know quite a few people who have started pharmaceutical at DMU hoping to transfer. I remember I called up Wolverhampton to query about the transfer process and the admissions tutor basically said only two out of the top 90 people who applied to be transferred to mpharm actually transferred, even though they ALL met the grade criteria :|

Its nice to know that there is someone who's in the same situation, I hope it works out for you! Hows revision going for retakes? &What else have you got planned for this year?

:smile:
Reply 54
Original post by SalinaHussain

Hii, sorry for the late reply :smile:

Those were my thoughts exaculy! Its quite difficult because there was that pressure of just going to uni this year, but I didnt want to be stuck doing a degree I didnt enjoy. I know quite a few people who have started pharmaceutical at DMU hoping to transfer. I remember I called up Wolverhampton to query about the transfer process and the admissions tutor basically said only two out of the top 90 people who applied to be transferred to mpharm actually transferred, even though they ALL met the grade criteria :|

Its nice to know that there is someone who's in the same situation, I hope it works out for you! Hows revision going for retakes? &What else have you got planned for this year? :smile:

same here too! was offered a place for pharmaceutical course at dmu but turned it down for the exact same reason! :smile: i think your right with the whole pressure of going to uni and having to make a decision but a year out is nothing compared to doing a course for 4 years that you dislike.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 55
Hey guys how is revision going for any units anyone is retaking and how far is everyone with their personal statement and ucas forms :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by ha7493
I was in the same position as you guys last year, I got CCD and with A LOT of hard work managed to get it up to AAB this year and get myself into a top 10 uni. Don't feel too disheartened believe me it is very do able if you put in the effort and the time!

You managed to get into a top 10 with CCD achieved? What were your predictions and what did they base the offer off, or did you apply two years later after your A2 results?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Hey guys how is revision and personal statements going I hope its all going well :smile: I just sent off my UCAS today and I'm dreading having to go on track LOL. Has anyone recieved any offers yet and if so, where from and how long did it take?
Reply 58
Original post by Floraa
I got BBB this Summer when I was predicted AAB which was really irritating as I was only a number of marks off my predicted grades.
When filling out UCAS do we put our predicted grades as the same as last year?
I'm re-sitting a few modules this year and there is a very high chance that I'll get AAA which would mean that I could apply to different unis.

i was wondering the same thing do we put our predicted grades in (same as last year)...and our actual grades??
Reply 59
Hey guys how is revision and personal statements going I hope its all going well :smile: I just sent off my UCAS today and I'm dreading having to go on track LOL. Has anyone recieved any offers yet and if so, where from and how long did it take?

we have to include our AS and A level results right? also how do we include the modules we are retaking, do we put them at pending and where about exactly in the education section.... good luck with your application :biggrin:xx

Quick Reply

Latest