The Student Room Group

Predictions: A*AAB or A*A*A?

Hey, im applying to study Geography at Uni (possibly Oxford, and Durham being my first two choices).

My teachers have preditced me A*AAB for Geography, Single Maths, Physics and Further Maths respectively.

However my maths teacher said he could predict me an A* if I dropped further maths. so my predictions would be A*A*A in Geography, Single Maths and Physics.

Thing is with my further maths I messed up 1 module which got my whole grade down to a B in AS, even though I did well in everything else.

So would you advise that I drop Further Maths for the A* prediction in Single maths? Apparently the top Unis aren't too keen on B predictions.... ( I hate this prediction system, why can't we just apply AFTER our A levels???)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
My personal opinion is that A*A*A looks better, especially as Further Maths isn't essential for Geography.

But perhaps you could email the universities and ask them?
Reply 2
For geography there really isn't much point you doing FM. Maths can be helpful but FM i doubt would serve much purpsoe.

So I would say drop it and get the A*A*A prediction. Also, high five for Durham geography! (Judging by your subjects youre applying for the BSc?)
Reply 3
Original post by Bulbasaur
For geography there really isn't much point you doing FM. Maths can be helpful but FM i doubt would serve much purpsoe.

So I would say drop it and get the A*A*A prediction. Also, high five for Durham geography! (Judging by your subjects youre applying for the BSc?)

Yeah Bsc, and then hoping to go for an MBA either immediately after or at a later stage.

I suppose further maths isn't really that relevant then... so I will probably drop it then.. shame really.

So are you at Durham, or are you applying for Geog at Durham this year?
Reply 4
Original post by Death.
Yeah Bsc, and then hoping to go for an MBA either immediately after or at a later stage.

I suppose further maths isn't really that relevant then... so I will probably drop it then.. shame really.

So are you at Durham, or are you applying for Geog at Durham this year?

It may be a shame, but you'll probably do a whole lot better knowing you don't have to take those extra maths modules. FP2 and FP3 are apparently hell.

I'm applying this year but for the BA, hopefully with the same predictions as you, but I don't know that yet. Also, have you got a particular college in mind?
Reply 5
It may be a shame, but you'll probably do a whole lot better knowing you don't have to take those extra maths modules. FP2 and FP3 are apparently hell.

I'm applying this year but for the BA, hopefully with the same predictions as you, but I don't know that yet. Also, have you got a particular college in mind?

No I don't have any particular colleges in choice yet... I may go to the open day on the 22nd of September to visit the colleges there though.
Reply 6
Original post by Death.
Hey, im applying to study Geography at Uni (possibly Oxford, and Durham being my first two choices).

My teachers have preditced me A*AAB for Geography, Single Maths, Physics and Further Maths respectively.

However my maths teacher said he could predict me an A* if I dropped further maths. so my predictions would be A*A*A in Geography, Single Maths and Physics.

Thing is with my further maths I messed up 1 module which got my whole grade down to a B in AS, even though I did well in everything else.

So would you advise that I drop Further Maths for the A* prediction in Single maths? Apparently the top Unis aren't too keen on B predictions.... ( I hate this prediction system, why can't we just apply AFTER our A levels???)

If I were you, I'd drop Further Maths as it isn't essential for Geography, as A*A*A looks awesome! However, it is important to realize that you will need to actually obtain two A*'s and an A to get into university! They may give you some leeway, however, as Oxford and Durham are amongst the top universities in the country, I'm not sure how much leeway they will give.

Best of luck!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by jph12
If I were you, I'd drop Further Maths as it isn't essential for Geography, as A*A*A* looks awesome! However, it is important to realize that you will need to actually obtain three A*'s to get into university! They may give you some leeway, however, as Oxford and Durham are amongst the top universities in the country, I'm not sure how much leeway they will give.

Best of luck!

Erm, slightly confused by this post.

1) OP said A*A*A, not 3 A*s
2) Durham ask for A*AA, and Oxford AAA. They wouldn't ask for 3 A*s so he wouldn't need that to get in.

But I agree about dropping it.

Original post by Death.
No I don't have any particular colleges in choice yet... I may go to the open day on the 22nd of September to visit the colleges there though.

Ah nice. I haven't seen it yet, but I've picked Trevelyan. Probably not to everyones taste, though.
Reply 8
I would say drop FM. A*A*A looks better and FP2 and FP3 can be very difficult and stressful if you don't understand some bits, there is a hell of a lot to remember for some chapters as well. I was on Edexcel and most of my problems were with FP3 and had trouble remembering all the chapters apart from 2 :frown: Theres just so many different ways to apply things e.g. vectors.
Reply 9
Erm, slightly confused by this post.

1) OP said A*A*A, not 3 A*s
2) Durham ask for A*AA, and Oxford AAA. They wouldn't ask for 3 A*s so he wouldn't need that to get in.

But I agree about dropping it.

Woops, thanks for noticing my mistake! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending