The Student Room Group

Shall I reapply to Oxbridge/LSE and give up Bristol in the hope to get into IB?

I have not great GCSE's, got 4 A's at AS. Didn't bother applying to Oxbridge/LSE as thought I wouldn't stand a chance. Got a place at Bristol to study Economics. Then got 3 A*s and an A at A2 in the summer.

I'm looking to go into IB, but I have heard the people who get the interviews/assessment centres for the internships/jobs are nearly all Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial. Obviously I dont know for sure if its what i want to do (it would be foolish to say so with no work experience).

Overall, would it be worth applying to oxbridge/LSE on the basis of getting into IB. Bearing in mind; I may not get a place, have a year of doing nothing (if i can't find some work to do abroad, travelling,etc)

Also I have been told by 2 people very high up in the field, that they would reapply.

Thoughts?

Edit: title says reapply, but i did not apply in the first place

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do you know why do you want to go into IB?

Thanks to your grades, reapplying is a good option for you, but I wouldn't recommend committing to a degree just because you like the job prospects that come with it upon graduation...

I think it'd be risky, given how competitive Oxbridge & LSE are and like you said, regardless of whether you get in or not, you're gonna have a whole year out... Only you can decide whether or not it's worth it. Bristol for Econ is hardly a bad course that's gonna downgrade your prospects.

It depends on why & how much you wanna go into IB, IMO.

BTW Oxford is pretty anal about GCSEs and LSE are *rumoured* to be as well. Cambridge like UMS.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Newbie123
Do you know why do you want to go into IB?

Thanks to your grades, reapplying is a good option for you, but I wouldn't recommend committing to a degree just because you like the job prospects that come with it upon graduation...

I think it'd be risky, given how competitive Oxbridge & LSE are and like you said, regardless of whether you get in or not, you're gonna have a whole year out... Only you can decide whether or not it's worth it. Bristol for Econ is hardly a bad course that's gonna downgrade your prospects.

It depends on why & how much you wanna go into IB, IMO.

BTW Oxford is pretty anal about GCSEs and LSE are *rumoured* to be as well. Cambridge like UMS.

Economics is definitely the course for me no doubt about it. And researching IB, it seems like its great (with some obvious downsides, hours ,etc). Like you said it would be risky as I dont know whether I'd like it or not, but its best to keep the opportunity there.

Yea i just thought having got my a level results gcses cant really hold me back, i may be wrong
Reply 3
Original post by Jackflash23
Economics is definitely the course for me no doubt about it. And researching IB, it seems like its great (with some obvious downsides, hours ,etc). Like you said it would be risky as I dont know whether I'd like it or not, but its best to keep the opportunity there.

Yea i just thought having got my a level results gcses cant really hold me back, i may be wrong

Have you tried getting some work experience to see if you'd really like IB?

What were your GCSEs like?
Reply 4
Have you tried getting some work experience to see if you'd really like IB?

What were your GCSEs like?

its near impossible. for front office anyway.

put it this way i beat what i got at a level than gcse
Reply 5

No it aint, you said yourself you gave spoken to two people who are senior - can they get you in for a week or something?
Reply 6

Right-o.... But you should still try and get some kind of insight, whatever it is, into the profession before making big decisions that are influenced by your desired career prospects.

If I'm hearing you correctly I think Oxford would be out of reach, simply because Oxford have a fetish for GCSEs. Then if we're talking about the places that are more prestigious than Bristol for Econ, there's only really Warwick and LSE. And LSE are quite snobby about GCSEs as well, I think.

And although Warwick is supposedly "better" for the course, I don't think there'd be a great disparity between Warwick & Bristol to employers.

Did you go to a school that had bad GCSE results?
Apply to Cambridge. With A*A*A*A you've got an interview fo'sure. LSE and Warwick are 50/50 considering your GCSEs same with UCL.

I would re-apply, a year with no stress is underrated.
Reply 8

Yeah, reapply. It would definitely help. Grades are good, got nothing to lose and you could find something constructive to do for a year if you looked hard enough.

Right-o.... But you should still try and get some kind of insight, whatever it is, into the profession before making big decisions that are influenced by your desired career prospects.

If I'm hearing you correctly I think Oxford would be out of reach, simply because Oxford have a fetish for GCSEs. Then if we're talking about the places that are more prestigious than Bristol for Econ, there's only really Warwick and LSE. And LSE are quite snobby about GCSEs as well, I think.

And although Warwick is supposedly "better" for the course, I don't think there'd be a great disparity between Warwick & Bristol to employers.

Did you go to a school that had bad GCSE results?

Oxford take into account a wide variety of factors from the TSA to A-level grades to the subject interviews. The order of precedence when it comes to deciding who gets an offer is: interviews> subject specific tests > AS grades > GCSE scores. Now, when it comes to being short-listed for interview for highly competitive courses, gcses are given more weighting but realistically if you had 3 A* grades at A-level, so long as you didn't completely mess up your TSA I can't see Oxford not offering the chance of an interview.

From my observations for Cambridge it seems AS module marks=> interview performances=>subject specific performances in tests> gcses for the purposes of getting an offer. Cambridge has done its own research and discovered AS module marks are a better predictor of success in the tripos than tests like the TSA.

hlaf of all Oxbridge students get 3A* grades or better OP, and half of students who apply and go on to get 3 A* at A2 are rejected at interview, so there are still no certainties when it comes to applying to Oxbridge or even elite courses at LSE Imperial. But you'd stand as good a chance as any and I'm sure you'll get into as good a uni as Bristol second time round. Could also have a lot of fun on the gap year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9

Cant' speak for all industries, but certainly within banking the gap between Warwick and Bristol is quite large. Warwick gets far more people into the industry year on year than Bristol does. If you search for spring/summer university stats on this forum, you can find data confirming this. Bristol is still a great uni though and one of the most targeted unis outside the Top 6, so your chances are still pretty good.

Jackflash23

xxx

Surely you're going to reapply while at Bristol so if you dont get anything at least you still have a place at a uni, as opposed to not going to uni this year and then potentially having no uni place at all come September 2013?
(edited 11 years ago)
I am going to play Devil's advocate here and say, you have outstanding A level grades and have got into a prestigious university. If you work hard and get a first I cannot see you being at any disadvantage to the other candidates..you can use the summers off to get work experience in London.
Oxbridge and LSE are not the be all and end all of establishing a successful career. Bristol has an outstanding reputation. I wouldnt waste a year but get on with your course and work hard. I know it has been mentioned that Cambridge will interview you with those grades but lets face it most applicants will have those grades. Why risk wasting a year and not get into any of those unis, when you could be halfway there by then?
Reply 11
I have not great GCSE's, got 4 A's at AS. Didn't bother applying to Oxbridge/LSE as thought I wouldn't stand a chance. Got a place at Bristol to study Economics. Then got 3 A*s and an A at A2 in the summer.

I'm looking to go into IB, but I have heard the people who get the interviews/assessment centres for the internships/jobs are nearly all Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial. Obviously I dont know for sure if its what i want to do (it would be foolish to say so with no work experience).

Overall, would it be worth applying to oxbridge/LSE on the basis of getting into IB. Bearing in mind; I may not get a place, have a year of doing nothing (if i can't find some work to do abroad, travelling,etc)

Also I have been told by 2 people very high up in the field, that they would reapply.

Thoughts?

and you can't start at Bristol while applying for oxbridge and LSE again for what reason?
Too many people on here seem to think if your not in the top unis u cant break into it. That is BS.

Bristol econ is fine, theres no point in wasting a year to go to a better uni, the social life is awful there anyway and not many people go out much.

Experience/contacts matter more than the Degree tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
First up, I am biased, I study at Bristol :smile:

Second, I would really question whether you should re-apply solely based on LSE/Oxbridge rep for IB. Bristol is not #1 for IBs, but it is certainly quite heavily targeted, and well respected. All of the major firms are on campus at some point, and as the president of the biggest finance society, I can tell you plenty of Bristol graduates get 'front office' internships and jobs (I hate the terminology). GS, MS, JPM etc have all made offers to Bristol students this year.

If you use society sponsorship or 'IB budget' on campus as a proxy, Bristol is certainly on an upward trend, we have a higher number and level of investment from world class IBs than ever before. PM me if you want the full stats breakdown.

Third, I wouldn't always trust all the 'stats' you hear about on TSR...especially as regards successful applications/internships. Hardly a reliable source of data for comparison.

There is a gap between Warwick and Bristol, it is by no means huge (nor 'quite large' imo). In IB terms Warwick is higher no doubt, but shouldn't you base your university choice on a more holistic set of characteristics, rather than just league tables or prestige?

It would make sense for you to take your Bristol offer and then reapply (if you really wanted to) with the security of already having a Uni place.

I had offers from Warwick and Bristol with the same A level grades as you and I chose Bristol (albeit for Law), got the internship and got a full time offer from a leading US firm in IBD.

Original post by Zweihander
Cant' speak for all industries, but certainly within banking the gap between Warwick and Bristol is quite large. Warwick gets far more people into the industry year on year than Bristol does. If you search for spring/summer university stats on this forum, you can find data confirming this. Bristol is still a great uni though and one of the most targeted unis outside the Top 6, so your chances are still pretty good.

Surely you're going to reapply while at Bristol so if you dont get anything at least you still have a place at a uni, as opposed to not going to uni this year and then potentially having no uni place at all come September 2013?
Reply 14
Word of warning, I reapplied to Cambridge having got 3 A*s at A level and 10A*s at GCSE and still didn't get in (following a pooling nightmare).

I'm at Bristol now and it's a target university by all IBs anyway.
If I were in your situation, I would probably give up any hope and try to convince myself that I always wanted to be an accountant.
Original post by Cutmeloose
Apply to Cambridge. With A*A*A*A you've got an interview fo'sure. LSE and Warwick are 50/50 considering your GCSEs same with UCL.

I would re-apply, a year with no stress is underrated.

lol warwick.
Reply 17

is that possible?
Original post by stevenjohnh
First up, I am biased, I study at Bristol :smile:

Second, I would really question whether you should re-apply solely based on LSE/Oxbridge rep for IB. Bristol is not #1 for IBs, but it is certainly quite heavily targeted, and well respected. All of the major firms are on campus at some point, and as the president of the biggest finance society, I can tell you plenty of Bristol graduates get 'front office' internships and jobs (I hate the terminology). GS, MS, JPM etc have all made offers to Bristol students this year.

If you use society sponsorship or 'IB budget' on campus as a proxy, Bristol is certainly on an upward trend, we have a higher number and level of investment from world class IBs than ever before. PM me if you want the full stats breakdown.

Third, I wouldn't always trust all the 'stats' you hear about on TSR...especially as regards successful applications/internships. Hardly a reliable source of data for comparison.

There is a gap between Warwick and Bristol, it is by no means huge (nor 'quite large' imo). In IB terms Warwick is higher no doubt, but shouldn't you base your university choice on a more holistic set of characteristics, rather than just league tables or prestige?

It would make sense for you to take your Bristol offer and then reapply (if you really wanted to) with the security of already having a Uni place.

I had offers from Warwick and Bristol with the same A level grades as you and I chose Bristol (albeit for Law), got the internship and got a full time offer from a leading US firm in IBD.

I got rejected from LSE today.. and i got offers from Uni of Nottingham, Birmingham Manchester and Sheffield.. should I reapply Next year for Warwick or Lse again?.. the reason for rejection was my As results which were AAAc
Original post by aisha 56
I got rejected from LSE today.. and i got offers from Uni of Nottingham, Birmingham Manchester and Sheffield.. should I reapply Next year for Warwick or Lse again?.. the reason for rejection was my As results which were AAAc

Notts, Birm and Manchester are semi-targets.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending