The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

2:2 in second year, what's realistically achievable for my third year?

Sorry if this in tong place
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by LailaJay
Hi guys,

I'm new on TSR so apologies if this is in the wrong place.
I'm really very worried about my third year, which I'm about to start next week. I got a 2:2 in my second year because I was a bit all over the place and didn't work to the best of my ability at all. When i started uni I was hoping for a first but that seems way out of reach now (do correct me if I'm wrong :smile:) so I'd like to know what is realistically achievable for me now.
If it helps, my second year is worth 40% and my third year is worth 60%.

Any advice would be much appreciated

xx

What % did you get in your second year?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Hi guys,

I'm really very worried about my third year, which I'm about to start next week. I got a 2:2 in my second year because I was a bit all over the place and didn't work to the best of my ability at all. When i started uni I was hoping for a first but that seems way out of reach now (do correct me if I'm wrong :smile:) so I'd like to know what is realistically achievable for me now.

xx

Your third year is worth 60%, so yeah you got a 2:2 in your second year but it isn't the end. It will be more difficult, yes, to get a 1st overall BUT it is not unachievable. All it requires is hard work, and I'm sure you can do it! Luckily the weighting is on your side and so if you work harder in your third year, you can still get a 2:1/1st because of the percentage weighting.
Original post by SkySantosh
Your third year is worth 60%, so yeah you got a 2:2 in your second year but it isn't the end. It will be more difficult, yes, to get a 1st overall BUT it is not unachievable. All it requires is hard work, and I'm sure you can do it! Luckily the weighting is on your side and so if you work harder in your third year, you can still get a 2:1/1st because of the percentage weighting.

Sorry to hi-jack; but I got 53% in second year (my weighting is something like 33% second year, 33% dissertation and 33% third year modules) - is it possible to get a 1st? Or should I just aim for a good 2:1?
final marks are weighted and can occur in 2 ways:

either the make is made up 100% from your final year grade

or

60% final year - 40% 2nd year

this is done automatically for every graduate and which ever has the highest score is the one you will be awarded

so if you work your ass of now you could still get a first
Reply 5
Original post by kiss_me_now9
Sorry to hi-jack; but I got 53% in second year (my weighting is something like 33% second year, 33% dissertation and 33% third year modules) - is it possible to get a 1st? Or should I just aim for a good 2:1?

hi I just graduated and i had the same results in my second year and i managed to leave with a 2.1 but it meant that most of my modules had to be above 65%. it is not impossible for you to achieve a first but just from an estimate you would need to be obtaining well above 70% in each module you have.

hope this has helped:smile:
Reply 6

A 1st is generally 70% or above, varies for different universities and courses of course. However yes, you can. Just work hard and get the maximum possibile marks you can. Its not going to be easy but it isn't impossible. 33% Disso, 33% Third year modules = 66% available in just those two. You have 53% of a possible 33% (17.49%) already, so why wouldn't it be possible :smile:
Hi again,

You've all really helped me feel miles better, honestly I was thinking I should just drop out and start again -_- so thank you :biggrin:

And I got 53% as my average, in reply to tehforum.
)

Well you said in your OP that the course was weighted 40% on 2nd year and 60% on 3rd year. 40% x 0.53 = 21.2%. So you're missing 48.8% from getting a first, but that's out of 60% available. 48.8/60 = 81.3%, you would need to get average grades of 81.3% in your final year to get a first. That may be impossibly high depending on how your course is marked. To get a 2:1 overall you would need 38.8/60 = 64.7% - that may be more realistic?

But of course if you have this unusual 'option' to take 100% final year grades like rattus suggests (that must be a Manchester thing as I have never heard of it), then your grades thus far are totally irrelevant unless you do worse in your final year than your second year, and all you would need then is 70%. It sounds very strange to me as that system must considerably inflate the number of firsts awarded.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8

Assuming that is the correct weighting, you would need to average 80% in your third year (Dissertation + modules)

Hi guys,

xx

In your case it would be 81%.

This is all with the information I have here but the criteria are usually more complex and different universities have different schemes. Also I would advise that you take a look at your universities examination regulation as these will list the criteria a candidate must fulfill in order to obtain a certain grade. There are usually specific conditions under which it is possible to be awarded the next higher grade even if your average is below the the boundary.

PS: I am assuming you need 70% for a 1st.
Reply 9
Original post by 1/137

In your case it would be 81%.

This is all with the information I have here but the criteria are usually more complex and different universities have different schemes. Also I would advise that you take a look at your universities examination regulation as these will list the criteria a candidate must fulfill in order to obtain a certain grade. There are usually specific conditions under which it is possible to be awarded the next higher grade even if your average is below the the boundary.

PS: I am assuming you need 70% for a 1st.

Yes, its 70% for a 1st. Just to clarify, to get an overall of 81%, what should I be aiming for in each module? At least a 70 I assume?

Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate the advice xx
Reply 10
Yes, its 70% for a 1st. Just to clarify, to get an overall of 81%, what should I be aiming for in each module? At least a 70 I assume?

Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate the advice xx

No.

81% in your final year to get a first.

That would probably mean you'd have to be write publishable level work in your exams...

Aim for 64.7% in your final year to get 2:i - much more realistic.

hears an idea. Why not just do your best and see what happens. Say in and study when everyone else is getting pissed etc and then have an awesome summer of doing whatever with a 2:1/1st under your belt.

Aim for the maximum marks possible. Simple. Why would you set you sights on a good 2:1 just because it will be harder to get a 1st?

Always aim for the moon, if you miss. You still land among the stars.
Reply 12
If your doing a science subject (particularly maths) it is definitely possible to get a first. If your doing a humanities subject (particularly law) then it will be nearly impossible to get a first.
Original post by bestofyou
hears an idea. Why not just do your best and see what happens. Say in and study when everyone else is getting pissed etc and then have an awesome summer of doing whatever with a 2:1/1st under your belt.

Aim for the maximum marks possible. Simple. Why would you set you sights on a good 2:1 just because it will be harder to get a 1st?

Always aim for the moon, if you miss. You still land among the stars.

I plan on that :smile: I don't want to aim for something unrealistic - what's the point in busting a gut with the hope of getting a 1st when my second year grades mean I can't achieve it at all? I'll still try my best, I just wanted to check it would be a realistic aim.
Reply 14
I don't know what degree your doing, but 80%+ is a tall order by anybodies standards and you would have to work your a*** and a couple other treasured body parts off to get there. A 2.1 is good grade and will set you up well for a job. Just work hard and there is no reason you shouldn't get there.

I wish you all the best :smile:
Sorry for sounding stupid but does that mean that if I get an overall first in my third year, that I'll be awarded a first regardless of my 2:2 at second year?

thats what we where told in induction yesterday
Reply 16
Original post by rattusratus
thats what we where told in induction yesterday

What course are you doing? xx
biomedical science
Reply 18

To obtain the 70% you need to get a first you need to get a 79.56% (lets make it 80 :biggrin:) average in your dissertation and third year.

It depends on whether you think this is possible - some people can be 50% students then up their game and end up as 80% - but most can't.

There are reasons you got 53%, either you were lazy, disrupted or not good enough.

I got a 1st, but I didn't in my last year, I kept track of my grades and there was a pretty linear deteriation as the work got harder and I started to get lazier with uni in general. Because I did really well in first year and pretty good in second I had a bit of le-way and only needed 65% to get a first.

Could I have been less lazy? Maybe, but its hard to just "stop" a character trait like that. I couldn't have got cleverer and I didn't have much of a disruption.

Basically it depends.
Original post by rattusratus
biomedical science

Hello!

As other contributors have said, getting 81% average is hard but manageable. I would advise you to put in as much work as you can, but also take things lightly and not stress too much.

here's more general advice on getting higher marks:

read more. Read as much as you can, and go beyond the range or textbooks or lecture slides. Read academic journals (go to Google Scholar for them or check them out in the e-library of your uni).

talk to your lecturers - they might suggest useful reading material and save you the trouble of searching it by yourself;

keep a careful record of the references (down to where you downloaded those papers from). Whether you write exams or essays, it is useful to have the references at hand. For essays, it is obligatory to have detailed references; and if you put in a reference or two during the exams, your lecturers will be pleasantly surprised and your marks will go up;

By the way, do you have more exams or essays in this course?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending