The Student Room Group

Cat advice...

Hi, I don't know if this is in the right place...or if you can help but worth a try!

When my cat is in the garden, she sits down and rubs her face (chin etc.) along the floor. There is nothing there except grass and she does it whatever the weather. Does anyone know why she's doing this and if there is anything wrong?

Thanks in advance :smile:
umm perhaps she's scratching herself?! Have you noticed any changes, like a runny nose, eyes, or smelly ears?!
I don't really know what could be wrong.. Perhaps she just likes the feel of grass on her face!

:smile:
Reply 2
loser88
Hi, I don't know if this is in the right place...or if you can help but worth a try!

When my cat is in the garden, she sits down and rubs her face (chin etc.) along the floor. There is nothing there except grass and she does it whatever the weather. Does anyone know why she's doing this and if there is anything wrong?

Thanks in advance :smile:

cats often rub faces as a sign of greeting and affection so perhaps there could be something in the grass that she likes. On the other hand there could be an allergen in the grass that may be irritating her and so by rubbing her face she may be trying to relieve the irritation. Have you noticed any inflammation or such like around her facial area? It would be a good idea to take her to your vet if it worries you to be on the safe side and put your mind at rest!! There may be absolutely nothing wrong with her, she could just have an interesting character!! so please do not worry.
Reply 3
She's probably rubbing her scent all over the place to ward off other cats- territory marking.
Reply 4
i say pain - i mean discomfort
Reply 5
Quote: 'leggielass She's probably rubbing her scent all over the place to ward off other cats- territory marking.'

I second that!
Reply 6
Thank you all for your help!!!!

Her teeth have always been bad but the vet says they don't bother her- I'm in agreement with the territory marking (she is quite ferocious even though small) and the interesting character- for example she refuses to eat one brand of cat food for over a week! So it's a constant rotation....love her to bits!

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 7
In pain and needs dental?? Where did that come from? Does your x-ray vision allow you to see the cats molars from here?? Do you not think that it would also not be eating or grooming etc if it was that painful? bad breath? - These would be a more common and likely indicators of dental disease.

Chin rubbing is commonly normal behaviour for a cat- find a good behaviour book!!, but may be itching. If the cat becomes obsessive, there becomes baldness or there are other things not right about your cat take it to the vet.

Remember Guys- with the best willl in the world, remote vetting isn't a good idea. A little knowedge can sometimes be a dangerous thing!!
well said!

Latest

Trending

Trending