The Student Room Group

Student Finance Still Not Paid in "Worried"

Okay everyone so I'm actually starting to panic now.

I'm always an extremely prepared person and sorted my student finance out for academic year 2012/13 back in February. I start Uni properly tomorrow and going through my finance details details one last time, I've discovered that I have still yet to get paid. My money should have gone in on the 24th September.

I enrolled for year 2 of my course online using my Uni's website and one of my friends just told me I needed to also register in person, but I even called up my University when doing it online and asked about this, with the woman on the other end saying "I don't need to come in and I have been registered onto the system"

So what the heck is going on?

I'm extremely annoyed and rather worried.

So it seems obvious I haven't been registered properly is there anything I can do in terms of being able to get my grants/loans and fee's?

Its more annoying too because I was at my University multiple times last week for Rowing and my parking permit getting sorted and I could have registered then, but I was told doing it online was totally fine and so thought there was no need.
(edited 11 years ago)
Have you tried phoning Student Finance?
Reply 2
I still haven't received mine but i rang student finance and they said that I have been paid and all it is is that some banks take up to 5 working days for the payment to show up in your account. So if i don't have it by next week I should call my bank (Natwest) and ask them.
Reply 3
Original post by LM234
I still haven't received mine but i rang student finance and they said that I have been paid and all it is is that some banks take up to 5 working days for the payment to show up in your account. So if i don't have it by next week I should call my bank (Natwest) and ask them.

with my bank its always been paid in ASAP like on the date specified. I just hope I can still carry on with my course, because its no fault of my own that I was given wrong information. I would have happily registered in person if I was told too, but I was told there was no need to register in person if it was done online when I telephoned up.
Original post by Ryan_1993

I'm always an extremely prepared person and sorted my student finance out for academic year 2012/13 back in February. I start Uni properly tomorrow and going through my finance details details one last time, I've discovered that I have still yet to get paid. My money should have gone in on the 24th September.

I enrolled for year 2 of my course online using my Uni's website and one of my friends just told me I needed to also register in person, but I even called up my University when doing it online and asked about this, with the woman on the other end saying "I don't need to come in and I have been registered onto the system"

So it seems obvious I haven't been registered properly is there anything I can do in terms of being able to get my grants/loans and fee's?

Its more annoying too because I was at my University multiple times last week for Rowing and my parking permit getting sorted and I could have registered then, but I was told doing it online was totally fine and so thought there was no need.

I presume you registered.

I would not worry too much. My experience of student loans is that they screw up (a lot).

Chances are there is just a delay in payment. I would phone them to ask what is going on. Unis are often very understanding because they see so many cases each year. I knew people on my course who took 2 weeks for their money to come through (both living loan and the money to the uni) where the uni told them to just wait until the issue was sorted.
Reply 5
The Uni doesn't get paid until about Christmas anyway. That gives chance for people to sort out problems with finance. I didn't get my finance sorted until about a month into the term as Student Finance had mistakenly got me down as having 2 previous years of study (I had applied twice before but didn't get grades so didn't attend or get paid anything) so were refusing to pay more than my maintenance loan. Only worry would be living costs, but I'm sure the Uni would be able to sort something out such as a crisis loan if required, or delay taking of accommodation payment. There is also the option of getting an overdraft extension from your bank (they should be pretty happy too if you have the letter saying what you will be getting). I can't think of many years when I've not heard about at least one friend or family member having delayed payment.
Reply 6
If you haven't started yet I don't think you get it? All my friends got told the same date for student finance, but we all got it 2-3 days after actual lessons turned up and it was confirmed that we'd actually been there.

I just thought that was so people don't take out a student loan and then just not go to uni. I could be wrong though
Reply 7
I am in the same boat, I am on induction week at the moment and did my ID check yesterday but according to the student finance website they are still awaiting my uni's confirmation before paying me. I have had an email from TFL because i ordered a student oyster and they said my uni have confirmed im a student there so I thought that would be the same with finance.. Has everyone else had to wait until lectures have started before receiving their finance?
Reply 8
Original post by Ryan_1993

Student Finance usually pays you once your attendance is confirmed. Your university should be recording whether you are attending classes, and once you do attend your first class they'll soon pass on the information to Student Finance.

It usually takes about 3-4 days from your university confirming you attended a class to the money being paid into your account.
Reply 9
You don't get it until you go. I didn't get my loan until a week after I'd arrived (I didn't enrol straight away).
Good news! My student loan of £2000 has just come in.
Reply 11
Did you attend your first lecture then before you got it?!
Original post by LauraVR
Did you attend your first lecture then before you got it?!

I went to an intro day. It was mainly that I had to register online that I was back. I'm not sure how each university differs in this aspect though.
Reply 13
Just a quick update guys. I got my student loan of £1007 on Monday morning all is well now so nothing to worry about
I'm almost 6 weeks into my course and still haven't received my loan! Just waiting :frown:
Reply 15
Tom_Stockton did you get it? My bf is having same problem on 15/10 now and still no loan.
They are a bloody joke let me tell you, I swear to God they are the worst organisation I have ever had to deal with! They are still, STILL, processing my application. How the **** have they not dealt with it yet? I haven't got a penny to live on, I haven't paid for my accommodation in halls (although they are very understanding), I've got hardly any stationary and I've not bought any books yet. I got an emergency loan off of the university for £250 but that had to be paid on the deposit for my room and then to get a few bits of stationary I needed, my mom and dad both recently lost their jobs so aren't in a position to help me much. I've got a grand total of 24p in my bank and I'm starting to get pissed off!

Sorry I know this post doesn't really bring anything to the thread but I just needed to vent somewhere, they are bloody ****e!
Reply 17
Sometimes it's nice to vent!!!! He rang them up and they've said not everyone has it yet :frown:
Hope you guys have had your applications sorted out now!

Whatever you do in the process, don't just take SFE on their word (particularly Customer Services). Badger them constantly. Don't use the 0845 number, but use this one: 0141 243 3600. It will only use up your minutes on your mobile and landline phones.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending