The Student Room Group

Who's applying for the national youth theatre (nyt) 2013?

Just paid for my application, just wondered who else has done so and when, where and why are you going ? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah i am too this year. Kinda contemplating what Monologue to do atm, but still got time as mines in feb (London). Whats your mind set towards it?
how long is the course for? Is there a summer course which i could do as i am currently in university and would like to take it up? How long is the course?
Reply 3
The course is 2 weeks long, and it's during summer - that's if you get in
For the acting auditions, do they provide you with a monologue to practice on or do you have to provide one?
Reply 5
You pick anyone on you want (except shakespeare!) And it has to be two mins long

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GFG
You pick anyone on you want (except shakespeare!) And it has to be two mins long

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply! Do you have any idea where i can find some monologues?

Thanks
Reply 7
Just look up on web or look up a specific play u like, Otherwise buy a book
What happens if we get in to NYT.
Reply 9
Didn't even realised anyone had replied to my thread , ummm, when you get in then you are giving a chance to audition for their productions
Reply 10
Original post by rurounikenji
For the acting auditions, do they provide you with a monologue to practice on or do you have to provide one?

Original post by GFG

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's funny, because I've just been reading some NYT Audition threads and a lot of the people who got in did Shakespeare :tongue: . That said, it is a good idea to stay away from the most popular monologues.

Original post by GFG
Just look up on web or look up a specific play u like, Otherwise buy a book

Again funny, because an NYT member said on another thread 'Do not on any account do a monolgue you find on the internet' hahaha. Again that being said, if it's a monologue from a play that you can find a copy of and read in its entirety that's fine. Doing something on a play you like is also a good idea because they may well ask you questions on it and if you can be enthusiastic with your answer that'll be bonus points. You can tell I've been trawling the internet for advice for too long :colondollar:

Oh, if I have't already made it clear I'm auditioning! Very nervous, doubt I'll get in, but I'm getting old now so this is my second to last chance to audition. Considering a lot of people don't get in on their first try it seems silly to waste the opportunity.
Reply 11
Original post by CateAnon
That's funny, because I've just been reading some NYT Audition threads and a lot of the people who got in did Shakespeare :tongue: . That said, it is a good idea to stay away from the most popular monologues.

Again funny, because an NYT member said on another thread 'Do not on any account do a monolgue you find on the internet' hahaha. Again that being said, if it's a monologue from a play that you can find a copy of and read in its entirety that's fine. Doing something on a play you like is also a good idea because they may well ask you questions on it and if you can be enthusiastic with your answer that'll be bonus points. You can tell I've been trawling the internet for advice for too long :colondollar:

Oh, if I have't already made it clear I'm auditioning! Very nervous, doubt I'll get in, but I'm getting old now so this is my second to last chance to audition. Considering a lot of people don't get in on their first try it seems silly to waste the opportunity.

See the problem with my piece that I've chosen is its a monologue but not a play, but its one of my lamda speeches and it shows real diversity so I dunno what to do, what do you guys think I should do?
Reply 12
Original post by tany-faye
See the problem with my piece that I've chosen is its a monologue but not a play, but its one of my lamda speeches and it shows real diversity so I dunno what to do, what do you guys think I should do?

If it's not part of a play, all the NYT members' advice I've read so far would advise you not to choose it. They advise you choose something from a published play and that you read the entirety of the play you choose, because they may ask you questions on it in the audition.
Sorry, if this may sound like a stupid question but once i have paid the £30 required for the audtion, will i need to pay anything els? Like fee's or anything for the 2 week course?

Thanks
Reply 14
Original post by rurounikenji
Sorry, if this may sound like a stupid question but once i have paid the £30 required for the audtion, will i need to pay anything els? Like fee's or anything for the 2 week course?

Thanks

Yh it's about 300
I'm a bit nervous about the audition do you have to show a lot of personality?. Also what the chances of getting in to NYT.
Reply 16
The chances are extremely slim, but I'm not going to let that bring me down, you just gotta try I guess, what monologues are people doing?
Reply 17
I'm auditioning 2013 too! where are you all doing it? anyone in Norwich?
Reply 18
Original post by pacegirl
I'm auditioning 2013 too! where are you all doing it? anyone in Norwich?

London for me, on the 19th
Reply 19
Yeah i'm in London. 2nd of Feb, anyone else doing it then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending