The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tonystark
lol I failed my application with them as well. Did well in the tests etc, interview apparently didn't go as well. Did you join another graduate scheme by the way ?

Surprise, surprise. I'm out of that job too. But at least I got the experience. Now I'm seeking another role with the help of recruiters that have my contact details through Reed. Once you have enough relevant experience you can stop going after graduate schemes and apply to roles directly or through recruitment.
In fact, this is a lesson many grads don't learn until they become desperate for work: they should know what they want to do and start applying months before they graduate.
Original post by shawn_o1
Surprise, surprise. I'm out of that job too. But at least I got the experience. Now I'm seeking another role with the help of recruiters that have my contact details through Reed. Once you have enough relevant experience you can stop going after graduate schemes and apply to roles directly or through recruitment.
In fact, this is a lesson many grads don't learn until they become desperate for work: they should know what they want to do and start applying months before they graduate.

I wanted to study medicine after graduating, but hit some financial troubles so i'm not in the position to study medicine now. I got some experience in retail and a work development course, but still struggling to even get an internship lol !
Reply 42
Anyone know what working for FDM is like in the Hong Kong location?
Reply 43
Original post by ty816
Anyone know what working for FDM is like in the Hong Kong location?

Would like to know this too.

Does anyone on this scheme know whether you get travel expenses covered during the training period and if they sort out your accommodation in Hong Kong?
This thread is just comical, im 100% certain FDM employees were writing half the posts on the front page.
I uploaded my CV to a grad jobs website and they emailed me really quickly, like within a day, saying they wanted to offer me training or whatever. I ignored the email cos I was busy, then they phoned me, left voicemail messages etc. I eventually emailed them saying I wasnt interested.

My degree is in criminology and they emailed me offering me training for IT roles. totally irrelevant to my skill set (I suck at IT) and to my degree. so its clear they either dont even read your CV or contact anyone regardless of their area.
Reply 46
I've just seen this thread, I realise its old so let me explain how FDM works for anyone who is thinking of joining this company in the future. FDM recruiters basically target as many students as possible and offer them IT or Business related roles. once you have got through the interview process and assessment day (which is very easy) you will then start training with them.

the training lasts between 12 and 16 weeks depending on what role you are applying for, however be aware that this does not necessarily mean that you will get a role in that field. a lot of the students that apply end up going into a different field due to there never being a job in the area that you applied or you are coming to the end of your 90 days after training. for the duration of your training you are allowed to claim living costs this is basically travelling expenses and food up to £100 a week for which you will need receipts.

After training you will then go on interviews with potential employers and once successful will be placed on site with them regardless of location in the country. It does not matter your reasons for working in a certain location if your not flexible about location FDM will try to levy a very hefty £20000 bill on you as this is what they value their training at.

FDM then charge the client a daily rate for you services around £300 and this is what your salary is paid from. this is just a very basic insight into how to the FDM business model. Now I will just take you through a few of the drawbacks that the recruiters will not take you through.

1, FDM is a sales driven company and the client comes first not the consultant.
2, Be aware of recruiters and account managers remember this is a numbers game and you are their bonuses.
3, FDM is very concious of its image so review forums like glassdoor is constantly updated by themselves to improve their ratings also i have followed them for the last 2 years and seen at least 20 one star reviews removed.
4, The value they place on their training is ridiculous £20000 for a few basic IT related qualifications is stupid, think about degrees you can do for this amount of money.
5, You could end up going upto 6 months without pay and eventually released from your debt with them but in further debt through living costs.
6, You are not guaranteed a job at the end of training.
7, You may be required to relocate on multiple occasions all at your own expense.
8, FDM do not invest in their consultants as very few stay with them I would guess at around 5 percent. this should be a good indicator into what the company is like. its no good saying you could end up with a really good company you should be that really good company.

I have just finished my 2 years with FDM and was not taken on by the client and decided not to stay with FDM I have since found another job in IT and am doing quite well. I would not recommend FDM to anyone though.
Reply 47
Hello guys,

So I would be having a phone interview with them this week for a summer internship, but after reading this thread I felt abit off with the company. What do you guys think working with them over the summer? Would that be worth it?
FDM IS A SCAM! It's a joke it's a scam be warned! My boyfriend got into the training there and they sacked him after two weeks because he has allegedly failed his assessment and when he asked to see his exam paper THEY REFUSED to show it him! He passed everything else with flying colours and this one assessment they sacked him on the spot even though he had supposedly failed by 1 mark! One of the trainers had make representations to the trainees that he had worked with really prestigious clients in government places - HE WAS LYING - his Linkedin profile shows him having worked in the NHS triage call centre prior to joining FDM. He has no real experience in business matters! He gave 'feedback' to him such as 'you're too academic in your approach' without explaining what that actually means. And further, my boyfriend used the word 'unwavering' in a document and he referred to the word as 'Shakespearean' and asked him to remove it - that alone speaks volumes! At the time, I joked it off saying he called it Shakespearen because he probably doesn't know what it meant! Looks like I was probably right! These 'trainers' are unqualified and fake! One of the 'trainers' attended lessons for 15 mins then left. All
The trainees had to ask another graduate in the room for help! The laughable thing is, if you leave FDM you have to pay back your 'training costs' of £20k! Another of my boyfriends colleagues has degrees in mathematics and apparently got a question wrong on an assessment. So he asked the trainer why it was wrong, and the trainer offered no explanation and replied 'it just is!' When he insisted on an explanation, they dragged him into a meeting room and THREATENED him saying they'd sack him
If he kept up his 'behaviour'. This is evidence of the fact that these 'trainers' are unqualified! They couldn't explain to him because they didn't know! They are just glorified recruitment consultants. They use threatening mannerisms to keep their trainees in check! What's more! There's a pool of people who have finished the FDM programme and are without a placement! They're just sat there waiting. They can't apply for a job elsewhere as they're now TIED to FDM! If they do they'll have to pay the £20k fees back! It's a joke!
Graduates - take heed! There's a reason the Internet is littered with 'FDM is a scam' posts! Do not join this place. You will regret it! They are scamming you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 49
This thread has stopped me from proceeding with the FDM application. Thank you dearly to all those who commented.
Its funny because every year around this time and the beginning of the year - you know, when graduates start thinking about what they will do next - i get a notification from this thread lol
Original post by KungPooPanda
Its funny because every year around this time and the beginning of the year - you know, when graduates start thinking about what they will do next - i get a notification from this thread lol

The other day I was finally offered a place on an IT grad scheme, so for the past few days I've been sharing the news with my friends and family. After telling one of my friends the first thing he said was ''I hope it's not with FDM'', after googling them and reading this thread I'm glad as well LOL.
Original post by KungPooPanda

A large chunk of students hunt for their grad jobs after graduation/final exams. They forget that the recruitment cycle for their class opens when they return to uni for their final year (so around September), and ends around Jan - Mar period. These are the students who often complain about the lack of graduate jobs -_-.
Original post by EvoBoost4Days
A large chunk of students hunt for their grad jobs after graduation/final exams. They forget that the recruitment cycle for their class opens when they return to uni for their final year (so around September), and ends around Jan - Mar period. These are the students who often complain about the lack of graduate jobs -_-.

I mean this is really stupid, another problem with the UK, this the case in America and Canada. The UK is horribly backwards with a lot of things and needs to move with the times. Graduates are left without proper guidance, taken advantage of and left unemployed, useful real-world education is non existent.
Reply 54
Original post by NoGueyJosé
I mean this is really stupid, another problem with the UK, this the case in America and Canada. The UK is horribly backwards with a lot of things and needs to move with the times. Graduates are left without proper guidance, taken advantage of and left unemployed, useful real-world education is non existent.

YES YES ****ing YES.
Original post by NoGueyJosé

I would have to disagree. At some point one must take accountability for one's own success.

You should have a career path in mind before your final year. Once you've figured that out you should go about leveraging comps career sites and employability workshops.

There is plenty of content and resources out there. The likes of PWC/KPMG the tops of their industry meet graduates/students in their backyards, and they list out what organisations within their industry want from prospective grads. If you fail to turnup and absorb the information they're dishing out for free then you're to blame.

Now it's a shame grads get taken advantage of. However, there are plenty of red flags on sites like TSR/glass doors being waved for the likes of FDM. If you have a turd of a contract then don't sign the jotted line. There will always be someone waiting to shaft you in business. Even senior managers get shafted with clauses in their contract's (non-compete clause etc). Again it's your responsibility to look out for your own interest.

You might say I'm harsh, but most graduates are lazy and lax. They're waiting to be spoon-fed information and to be guided through life like visually handicapped sheep.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by EvoBoost4Days
I would have to disagree. At some point one must take accountability for one's own success.

You should have a career path in mind before your final year. Once you've figured that out you should go about leveraging comps career sites and employability workshops.

There is plenty of content and resources out there. The likes of PWC/KPMG the tops of their industry meet graduates/students in their backyards, and they list out what organisations within their industry want from prospective grads. If you fail to turnup and absorb the information they're dishing out for free then you're to blame.

Now it's a shame grads get taken advantage of. However, there are plenty of red flags on sites like TSR/glass doors being waved for the likes of FDM. If you have a turd of a contract then don't sign the jotted line. There will always be someone waiting to shaft you in business. Even senior managers get shafted with clauses in their contract's (non-compete clause etc). Again it's your responsibility to look out for your own interest.

You might say I'm harsh, but most graduates are lazy and lax. They're waiting to be spoon-fed information and to be guided through life like visually handicapped sheep.

Nonsense. Absolute nonsense.
This thread has stopped me from proceeding with the FDM application. Thank you dearly to all those who commented.
Have my Asessment Centre in a few days, but think I'm gonna pull out after reading this thread. What a waste of my time. Thank god forums like this exist.
Reply 59
The FDM group is a scam. They contacted me after I graduated in 2015. QA consulting are a scam as well.

Latest

Trending

Trending