The Student Room Group

To people applying for Medicine

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gingerandice
is it sometimes boring?

Of course it is. Not always, but sometimes. Try sitting through hours of public health, histology, embryology and endless sessions involving "reflection" and tell me you're not bored :p:

But in my opinion the moment anything becomes academic and rigidly structured the boring bits begin to shine through. This is true of anything. Being an accomplished jazz pianist is grand, but there isn't a pianist in the world who'd say that they enjoyed the endless hours practising scales, learning theory etc.
Reply 21
Original post by nexttime
Which is why medicine should be grad entry :yes:

Overall though, it sounds like you've been working very hard, and that that is the main reason you are ranting. Simply put, that's you as much as the course. Not everyone is like that.

They're really not.

Content wise they are. The GMC sets the guidelines about what we need to learn.

No, im not stressed at the moment, i do work hard but not anymore than other medics in my year. Im not 'ranting' i just want to help these hopeful medics make the right decision.

Yeah, of course you have the few medics who absolutely love it
Reply 22
Original post by Democracy
Of course it is. Not always, but sometimes. Try sitting through hours of public health, histology, embryology and endless sessions involving "reflection" and tell me you're not bored :p:

But in my opinion the moment anything becomes academic and rigidly structured the boring bits begin to shine through. This is true of anything. Being an accomplished jazz pianist is grand, but there isn't a pianist in the world who'd say that they enjoyed the endless hours practising scales, learning theory etc.

Definitely agree with this.
Reply 23
Original post by techno836
hey dinrah nice to see you here xD and the idea of googling disease sounds rather interesting to me :/ :L

TO OP:

and well i kinda research stuff by reading BMJ or student BMJ, sadly im not old enough to get experience and im not in 6th form but medicine is my aspiration, mainly because of my grandma's death from cancer so i always wanted to be oncologist because of it or perhaps a peadatrician because on of my mums friends had a son who died at a young age from a disease.

I was just wondering, if I was expected to do that at this age? I mean I get my mother to tell me about conditions and such, I've subscribed to some Biology channels on youtube. But what I'm wondering is just is it for me, I mean I really want to do Medicine. I just feel, like my reasons might be weak, everyone has some sort of life changing experience with a family member or themselves.

I've not even been to a hospital due to illness since I've been in England, I don't know anyone else with a major disease in my family. I know it's a good thing. My main reasoning is that I want to work with infectious disease and diagnose and help cure patients. It's not fair for somebodies life to be cut short, not only for themselves but for everyone else as we don't know what they could've contributed if they were to be alive, so we should do it for the sake of the future generations. It's kind of a mix between ideology and interest, is that okay? :s-smilie:
Reply 24
Original post by A100whoo
Content wise they are. The GMC sets the guidelines about what we need to learn.

Actually, they just set a minimum. Unis aren't compelled, and don't, stick to just that. Besides, content is just 1 aspect. Teaching method is surely far more important, and what about everything else that makes up uni life?!

No, im not stressed at the moment, i do work hard but not anymore than other medics in my year. Im not 'ranting' i just want to help these hopeful medics make the right decision.

I suppose if anyone was under the illusion that medicine would be a complete doss, then yes they need correcting. Or that certain aspects/entire years can be pretty boring - of course they can be. Totally agree.

Would you say you work more than a full time job though? 40 hours per week? That is supposedly the average at Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial. An average that is less than a full time job, something that we all will be (and many of our school friends already are...) doing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by bssjonny
A very honest piece of advice. Thank you. :smile:
Might i ask just how much work/studying do you do in an average week. The best answer i can usually get for this question is a lot.
So perhaps if you could tell me in terms of the number of hours?

Depends on how clever you are/ efficient in you learning technique/ how good ur memory is etc.

I say about 3 hours every day, 5 on weekends
Original post by dinrah04
I was just wondering, if I was expected to do that at this age? I mean I get my mother to tell me about conditions and such, I've subscribed to some Biology channels on youtube. But what I'm wondering is just is it for me, I mean I really want to do Medicine. I just feel, like my reasons might be weak, everyone has some sort of life changing experience with a family member or themselves.

I've not even been to a hospital due to illness since I've been in England, I don't know anyone else with a major disease in my family. I know it's a good thing. My main reasoning is that I want to work with infectious disease and diagnose and help cure patients. It's not fair for somebodies life to be cut short, not only for themselves but for everyone else as we don't know what they could've contributed if they were to be alive, so we should do it for the sake of the future generations. It's kind of a mix between ideology and interest, is that okay? :s-smilie:

i suppose interest is important as it would help yo maintain focused :smile: and ideology sounds fair enough ..im sure universities understand that not every applicant has been through a decion making experience and maybe some would have even suffered from family death ( by some i probably should really say a few) so its sounds okay to me.
Reply 27
i suppose interest is important as it would help yo maintain focused :smile: and ideology sounds fair enough ..im sure universities understand that not every applicant has been through a decion making experience and maybe some would have even suffered from family death ( by some i probably should really say a few) so its sounds okay to me.

To be honest for me, I think getting decent GCSEs that won't be scoffed at by the Unis is a more pressing matter.
Reply 28
Depends on how clever you are/ efficient in you learning technique/ how good ur memory is etc.

I say about 3 hours every day, 5 on weekends

How much work did you do for your A levels on your daily basis and what did you get?? :smile:
Reply 29
This is why I both can't wait for and am dreading clinical years.
So far medical school has been fun but I can just see this ****storm on the horizon.
Reply 30
Original post by nexttime
Actually, they just set a minimum. Unis aren't compelled, and don't, stick to just that. Besides, content is just 1 aspect. Teaching method is surely far more important, and what about everything else that makes up uni life?!

I suppose if anyone was under the illusion that medicine would be a complete doss, then yes they need correcting. Or that certain aspects/entire years can be pretty boring - of course they can be. Totally agree.

Would you say you work more than a full time job though? 40 hours per week? That is supposedly the average at Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial. An average that is less than a full time job, something that we all will be (and many of our school friends already are...) doing.

Yeah of course all medical schools arent identical but the main things that they teach are the same. How much more can they add to what the GMC says? It might be minimum but its still alot. Of course other aspects of the university are important when choosing where to go but im just talking about studying medicine here.

Including timetabled hours and at home study? approx 45 hours per week
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Elwyn
This is why I both can't wait for and am dreading clinical years.
So far medical school has been fun but I can just see this ****storm on the horizon.

I loved 2nd year, enjoy it!!!
Reply 32
Original post by Samriddha
How much work did you do for your A levels on your daily basis and what did you get?? :smile:

I worked my absolute ass off for a levels. I used to do loads. like 5 hours in my spare time each day, 7 at weekends.

I wish i didnt work so much though and i enjoyed sixth form life more

AAAa
Original post by dinrah04
To be honest for me, I think getting decent GCSEs that won't be scoffed at by the Unis is a more pressing matter.

true true :smile: ... although for me it could be slightly late for that .. with a maximum of 6A*s 2As 6Bs (still not including the short course citizenship) but probably a reality of 4A*s 4As 6Bs .. and that is with 6 BTEC's/vocational :frown: so i need to get those 6 A*s :L
I worked my absolute ass off for a levels. I used to do loads. like 5 hours in my spare time each day, 7 at weekends.

AAAa

what was your application ? GCSE's A levels and subjects ?? :biggrin: oh and your UKCAT score if you took it ? :smile:
Reply 35

AAAa

Then aren't you doing less work now compared to when you sat your A levels? I understand that the subject itself must be much much harder, but why do you think it is a particularly hard course that people should definitely have a complete decision on?
what was your application ? GCSE's A levels and subjects ?? :biggrin: oh and your UKCAT score if you took it ? :smile:

I think you totally missed the point of this thread.
Original post by Democracy
I think you totally missed the point of this thread.

no i didn't i was just curious :/ :L
Reply 38
Yeah of course all medical schools arent identical but the main things that they teach are the same. How much more can they add to what the GMC says?

I think the courses are more different than you realise. Doctors educated places other than Oxford are always shocked by how little anatomy we learn. Its because Oxford teaches the bare minimum, other schools don't. For example, we barely learn the names of any muscles, we just learn 'hip flexor group', 'hip extensor group' etc. The converse is that 1/3 of our first year is biochemistry, whereas some schools don't do any biochem at all.

But anyway - all that aside, given that the teaching styles vary so much the person who originally asked the question had a valid point when trying to assess someone's frustrations with their course.
Reply 39
hey dinrah nice to see you here xD and the idea of googling disease sounds rather interesting to me :/ :L

TO OP:

and well i kinda research stuff by reading BMJ or student BMJ, sadly im not old enough to get experience and im not in 6th form but medicine is my aspiration, mainly because of my grandma's death from cancer so i always wanted to be oncologist because of it or perhaps a peadatrician because on of my mums friends had a son who died at a young age from a disease.

Its good that you read the BMJ in your spare. But tbh and its just my opinion the deaths youve talked about are irrelevant. Its like saying if your grandma died in a fire you'd want to be a fire fighter ( dont want to be mean but i just dont think they're good enough reasons).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending