The Student Room Group

How much is your car insurance and

if you don't mind how old are you?
And what make car do you have?
I am 18 looking for good affordable car insurance as a secondary driver but all I find is 3k+

Scroll to see replies

My car insurance this year was £350. I am 21, and i have a hyundai getz (when i first took out the policy i had a nissan micra- and had to pay £30 when i changed the car).
Reply 2
My insurance is £647. I drive a Peugeot 206 and i'm 26. I have had my licence for 4 years but not driven until recently so have no claims bonus which is why I think its so much.
£1700, 17, 08 Ford Fiesta
Reply 4
Mines £1011
1 years no claims
18 (turning 19 next Sunday)
My car (pictured below) a slightly modified R reg 1.25 Ford Fiesta
Reply 5
When you drive you learn that the stereotype of "women drivers" isn't an inaccurate depiction. So the fact that their insurance is so much cheaper really disgusts me. I can't wait for when things are equal.
Original post by ineedtorevise127
I am 18 looking for good affordable car insurance as a secondary driver but all I find is 3k+

I always found it was cheaper to have my own policy than to be a named driver on someone elses. Try that.
Anyway, if you are looking to be a named driver on the insurance, then make sure you are actually only a named driver. If you are actually the main driver of the car, and you say you are only a named driver (putting someone else as the main driver) then its fronting and its illegal.
Original post by Yawn11
When you drive you learn that the stereotype of "women drivers" isn't an inaccurate depiction. So the fact that their insurance is so much cheaper really disgusts me. I can't wait for when things are equal.
This generalisation really rustles my jimmies. I don't wanna pay a ****ing fortune in car insurance just because some other ****ers crash their car too ****ing much. Otherwise I'd buy a car right now.
Reply 8
'67 GT6 is around £175 fully comp
'67 Midget is around £140 fully comp well... £11.76 a month.
'75 MGB GT V8 is around £120 fully comp.

I'm 26.
Reply 9
Seat Leon 1.6 S from 2003. I was always on my mother's insurance:

17 - £2200 with Aviva
18- £2100 with LV
19 - £1200-£1300 or so with LV. I am at uni, so I just do it as a temporary measure. Basically £3-£3.50 a day or so for 2 days up to 6 weeks, but a £10 admin charge is on top of that for the entire term. So a weekend costs £17.
Original post by SillyEddy
Seat Leon 1.6 S from 2003. I was always on my mother's insurance:

17 - £2200 with Aviva
18- £2100 with LV
19 - £1200-£1300 or so with LV. I am at uni, so I just do it as a temporary measure. Basically £3-£3.50 a day or so for 2 days up to 6 weeks, but a £10 admin charge is on top of that for the entire term. So a weekend costs £17.
where are you finding all that money mate?
Reply 11
i'm 19 next week, i have a Clio and its just over £700 fully comp on my own name :smile:
Try compare the market? :smile:
Original post by Insecurities
where are you finding all that money mate?

I didn't pay for the first two years, my parents covered it then. I know some parents who don't pay for it at all, and others who buy their kids a car and insurance. One of my friends got a brand new car (and customised it) and their parents bought it for them. I'm still incredibly grateful that I got insurance!

For this third year, I am at university, so I don't drive, so I don't pay anything. At Christmas I might insure myself with LV on the temporary insurance, and it'll cost about £55. It depends, I have a job waiting for me at home which pays about £45 a shift, so just working one weekend out of the two weeks will make it profitable.
Reply 13
2006 1.25l Ford Fiesta,

25 - £956.00 with Admiral
26 - £577.00 with Quote me happy.

Got parents as named drivers as well which brought down the price, at least until I've built up a bit more NCB. Was around £1,500 without them if I tried when I was 25.
I'm 21. My car insurance this year was £1100, fully comp. I have a 2010 Toyota Aygo, 1l.

Last year I had 2002 Renault Clio, 1.2l. My insurance was £1800 TPFT.

Don't have parents on my policy because they don't drive. I have my BF on my current policy but it brought it up by about £10 lol.
Original post by ineedtorevise127

Im 21, VW Lupo 1.0, insurance £810

I think the cheapest car insurance wise you can get is a 10-15 year old vauxhall corsa, either the 1.2 or the 1.0 12v.
I'm 22, have a fully comp 2005 Vauxhall Corsa 1.0ltr for £1003 per year.

It's rather depressing, especially since I can be insured on a brand new 62 plate Corsa for £750 :frown:
:eek: Woah woah woah, how are you guys getting such cheap insurance policies? I'm 22 and passed last month, the cheapest quotes i'm getting are at least £1600 with Co-Cop Young Drivers and that's with fairly new cars which I cannot afford in the first place. If i try it wih older cars which I cannot afford, the insurance shoots up to at least £1900 on Co-Op and over £2,500 from 'normal' insurers. :mad:
Reply 18
BMW 116 series 06 I'm 19 £1600 :-)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Hustler-1337
:eek: Woah woah woah, how are you guys getting such cheap insurance policies? I'm 22 and passed last month, the cheapest quotes i'm getting are at least £1600 with Co-Cop Young Drivers and that's with fairly new cars which I cannot afford in the first place. If i try it wih older cars which I cannot afford, the insurance shoots up to at least £1900 on Co-Op and over £2,500 from 'normal' insurers. :mad:

Because they have vaginas and you have a penis :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending