The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Aberystwyth Applicants - Student Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Anyone here got the entrance exam but not got any offers yet? - makes me a little nervous :smile:
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Hello! I have accommodation questions :smile:

How does applying for accommodation now work? I've heard that we can't specify the halls we want to be in, instead just putting 'self catered single'... but does this mean I can't specify seafront or campus halls?

How does the catered accommodation work? What do people think of it in terms of value for money and the kitchens/bedrooms themselves?

Also, am I right in thinking that all the bathroom/kitchen cleaning is done by the students?

Thank you!
Reply 62
I've applied for the entrance exam but got no offers or interview and I can't sign up for a visiting day till march and at that it says for fine art I require an interview but haven't been given one :/ so worried cause Aber is the main uni I wanna get into... Someone help please?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 63
Original post by nscott1
I've applied for the entrance exam but got no offers or interview and I can't sign up for a visiting day till march and at that it says for fine art I require an interview but haven't been given one :/ so worried cause Aber is the main uni I wanna get into... Someone help please?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I applied for the entrance exam and had an email and a letter confirming I was taking it. Im not sure if it work differently for art but maybe you should contact the department, just in case?
Reply 64
I was wondering do we get a list of books and equipment for our courses? if so, will it be after we confirm our place in August? I was also wondering about what things I'll need to bring when I move in and what's provided? I know that I want single self catered, I might apply for ensuite.
I would like to ask about summer accomodation. The university told me I can't ask that from them, because I'm new student. Is there any hostel or any cheap accomodation to stay in whole summer?
Original post by aklenna
I was wondering do we get a list of books and equipment for our courses? if so, will it be after we confirm our place in August? I was also wondering about what things I'll need to bring when I move in and what's provided? I know that I want single self catered, I might apply for ensuite.

If you find your course on the departments website, and go into the details bit you will find a 'suggested reading list'. I would suggest buying a couple of them used off Amazon (check the seller feedback and book condition), used will significantly cheaper for example I bought two books for around £5 combined which looked in perfect condition on delivery. The rrp/buying new would have been around £60. Remember these are only suggested reading which the lecturers will hardly refer to, it's just to give you background knowledge if you want it.

For the actual reading list of books that will definitely be used in lectures and seminars wait until you start. In the first lecture for each module you will be told which book is required. All books you need will be available at the Arts Centre book store, simply tell the store workers which course/module you do and they'll show you which book you want. They even price match Amazon with some nice student discoun.

Original post by maggimarcus
I would like to ask about summer accomodation. The university told me I can't ask that from them, because I'm new student. Is there any hostel or any cheap accomodation to stay in whole summer?

There is a YHA Hostel in Borth which is a short train or bus journey away. Borth is a small village just up the coast, it's the train stop before the train terminates in Aber.

Alternatively there is the Maes-Y-Môr hostel in town itself but it's rather expensive as B&B's can be had for around £20/30 per night.

University halls accommodation is available to non students, however you have to book through the conferencing team. Prices are £24.50 per night for a en suite room though I'd ask about standard rooms (non en suite) as they should be around £5 cheaper per night.
(edited 11 years ago)
Thank you!
Hey, everyone.

I'll be travelling from the States, and believe I'm allocated two 70 pound bags plus a carry on. I'm curious as to what all of you found worth bringing with you to Uni, what you wished you had brought with you that you didn't originally, and what could be left behind and just acquired in town upon arriving.

I went to Disney a few years back and could only bring one 50 pound bag, and that was only bare, bare essentials for a week and half. :eek: I'm quite worried since I'm moving across the Atlantic for 9 months! Maybe I'm worried for nothing and those two bags will be plenty, but any input from those already there would be great!

Thanks!
Reply 69
Original post by A Fallible Poet
Hey, everyone.

I'll be travelling from the States, and believe I'm allocated two 70 pound bags plus a carry on. I'm curious as to what all of you found worth bringing with you to Uni, what you wished you had brought with you that you didn't originally, and what could be left behind and just acquired in town upon arriving.

I went to Disney a few years back and could only bring one 50 pound bag, and that was only bare, bare essentials for a week and half. :eek: I'm quite worried since I'm moving across the Atlantic for 9 months! Maybe I'm worried for nothing and those two bags will be plenty, but any input from those already there would be great!

Thanks!

In not at Uni yet but my cousin has just left after completing his bachelors and he says itlk depend on how much money you have to buy things in the uk for example bedding cutlery etc maybe even leaving some clothes behind and buying them here. he thinks you should take things like pictures, sentimental stuff, a laptop etc hope this helps you :smile:
Original post by aklenna
In not at Uni yet but my cousin has just left after completing his bachelors and he says itlk depend on how much money you have to buy things in the uk for example bedding cutlery etc maybe even leaving some clothes behind and buying them here. he thinks you should take things like pictures, sentimental stuff, a laptop etc hope this helps you :smile:

Thank you very much. And thank your cousin for me, please. :smile:

I should have sufficient money on hand so buying stuff like bedding, and other stuff won't be a problem. Never really crossed my mind to leave some clothes here and just buy them there. How much do different articles of clothing run over there? I was actually originally going to go shopping here right before Uni as it's very easy to get a pair of jeans for $10-$15, and shirts, and nice dress shirts for pretty cheap if you know where to look. My Grandpa always tells me I pinch a penny so hard that Abe screams in his grave. :biggrin: Considering one British Pound is worth 5 million US Dollars, I thought I'd save money by just buying clothes here in the US. But if clothes aren't much more over there I wouldn't mind saving some room for other things in my luggage.

Thanks again!
-

Original post by nscott1
If you want cheap clothing then your best going into a nearby city the uk has soo many shops that sell clothes for so little such as primary! It's the best ever you can get jeans from about £5 - £15 tops from about £2 - £10! Happy shopping yard hope to see you at aber in September! :smile:

The best things isn't to go to "a nearby city" as the nearest is Birmingham which is a 6 hour plus return train journey away. That will cost around £25 for the train tickets. If you do happen to save a pound on a t-shirt you'll spend much much more getting there.

As said many times by myself, Aek-94 and Samantha there are plenty of shops in Aber to satisfy all your needs. For clothes there's Matalan, Peacocks, Store 21 and other high street clothes shops. There are plenty of supermarkets and independent grocery stores for your food supplies. For household items there's Charlie's Store, Matalan, Argos and other independent stores.

You could very very very (yes three verys!) easily bring just yourself and your wallet/purse and buy everything you need here in Aberystwyth. On the odd occasion you can't find what you want there's always online shopping but by no means is it a necessity. Sure bring some items from home to make your room homely but don't think you have to tell to Birmingham all the time to go shopping, in fact that's the last thing I'd do!

I suggest reading the posts in the directory thread for general town information.

As a side note, can users please leave answering questions to those who are actually current students at Aberystwyth or ideally those nominated on the original post of this thread. I appreciate that you may want to help those further a field than yourself or those who haven't attended open days, but it's better to wait a little bit longer for a accurate answer than have a ill advised one quickly. We try to answer questions as quickly as possible but we all have busy lives, so quick answers may not be possible.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm sorry to bother again.

How is it with private accomodation in summer? I believe not everybody stays in Aber for summer. Is it possible to "fill" in for someone? I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say, lol.
I'm sorry to bother again.

No no, the more questions the better really. That's exactly what this thread is for, to answer those questions that are more appropriate for current students to answer. :smile:

How is it with private accomodation in summer? I believe not everybody stays in Aber for summer. Is it possible to "fill" in for someone? I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say, lol.

For private accommodation in 2nd and 3rd years, the time to get your house or flat sorted is around the December to February time. Contracts usually run from sometime in June for 12 months however some run for 10 months September to June. Almost certainly all of the student houses will be let out over the summer, some on a reduced rent basis where the students cannot live in the accommodation but are allowed to have their belongings there. Other students will be living in their house/flat and working in the town during the busy summer season.

The other houses and flats that will be available for short term let will be holiday lets which will be very expensive (£300-500 per week). The best thing is to stay in the university halls that I linked to previously through the conferencing department.

I'm intrigued to why you would want to stay in Aberystwyth over the summer prior to becoming a student here. If it's to work then it'd cost you similar amounts in rent and bills to that you'll get in wages, it might be a better idea to work in your home town and live at home.

If you want to live in Aberystwyth over the summer to get to know the place better then there isn't much point as again it would be extremely expensive. I'd very much recommend signing up to Sports Week when it is publicised, as that gives you a few days before everyone moves in to explore the town without it being too busy and obviously lets you try out the sports on offer here. If you're worried about not being sporty don't be, I tried sports that I'd never done before to learn something new or sports that I was terrible at to improve my skills....while sea kayaking I managed to sink numerous times!

I'm delighted to be able to announce that gagaslilmonsteruk has accepted my offer to join the team answering questions on this student Q&A thread. Gagaslilmonsteruk brings added knowledge and experience to the team, so this appointment can only help to enhance the answers that we give!

Welcome gagaslilmonsteruk! :hello:

Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
I'm a Second year at Aberystwyth doing Film and Television Studies as Joint Honours alongside French.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by nscott1
If you want cheap clothing then your best going into a nearby city the uk has soo many shops that sell clothes for so little such as primary! It's the best ever you can get jeans from about £5 - £15 tops from about £2 - £10! Happy shopping yard hope to see you at aber in September! :smile:

Prices seem pretty comparable. That's good. And you'll definitely see me in September! Thanks!

Original post by The Optimistic Ram

You could very very very (yes three verys!) easily bring just yourself and your wallet/purse and buy everything you need here in Aberystwyth. On the odd occasion you can't find what you want there's always online shopping but by no means is it a necessity. Sure bring some items from home to make your room homely but don't think you have to tell to Birmingham all the time to go shopping, in fact that's the last thing I'd do!

I wasn't too worried about what I could or couldn't acquire at Aber, though it's good to hear there's no lack of variety. Was just curious as to what other students found helpful to have that I wouldn't think of. Though I don't relish shopping so soon after arriving, I guess it's really unavoidable.

And thank you. Every question I've had has had a quick and helpful answer. Though, I never did hear if you ran into any Belhaven Scottish Ale in town. There's only one restaurant here that I've ever seen it on tap, and it's availability over there could quite possibly be the thing I'm most excited for! :smile:
Hey, everyone.

Thanks!

Clothes, laptop, iPod probably the best things. If you have DVDs and CDs then that's cool, just don't bring too many as a) you won't have much time to watch them - always something going on for you to join in with! and b) your luggage allowance for your flight. c) Most American DVDs don't work on European players as they are NTSC and Europe has Pal. The US is Region 1 and Europe is Region 2, however if you have any region 8 DVDs they work worldwide.

As I believe you will most likely be entering and leaving the UK via Heathrow or Gatwick, apply for a railcard too; www.nationalrail.co.uk. Get a 16-25 railcard (if you're between those ages) as it can save 1/3 on fares. Your route will either be

FOR HEATHROW: Aberystwyth - Birmingham New Street, Birmingham New Street - Reading, Reading - Heathrow Terminals 1, 2, 3 & 4 OR Heathrow Terminal 5.

FOR GATWICK: Aberystwyth - Birmingham New Street, Birmingham New Street - London Euston, Take a tube (Or a couple) across London until you reach London Victoria and London Victoria has a train that will run you to Gatwick.

Here it is fairly easy to acquire plates, bowls, cutlery etc. from Matalan or Argos. They also do have shops which sell bedding stuff here too. As for your mobile, leave your US cell phone back home and get a UK mobile. It will be much much cheaper. What you can then do is get a deal with a UK company to call all your UK-based friends, and as for calling your parents and family in the states, sign up to www.jajah.com. You create an account on there, put your phone number in. Put some credit on it and you can make calls to the US for about 1p per minute instead of £1 + which is a hell of a lot cheaper!
(edited 11 years ago)
Prices seem pretty comparable. That's good. And you'll definitely see me in September! Thanks!

I wasn't too worried about what I could or couldn't acquire at Aber, though it's good to hear there's no lack of variety. Was just curious as to what other students found helpful to have that I wouldn't think of. Though I don't relish shopping so soon after arriving, I guess it's really unavoidable.

And thank you. Every question I've had has had a quick and helpful answer. Though, I never did hear if you ran into any Belhaven Scottish Ale in town. There's only one restaurant here that I've ever seen it on tap, and it's availability over there could quite possibly be the thing I'm most excited for! :smile:

I'm still waiting to stumble across Belhaven Scottish Ale that's why! Admittedly it isn't the first thing that I look for when I'm out and about but when I'm at a bar I try to have a look on what's on offer as I usually have social drinks/meals with a ale drinking friend. :smile:

Regarding what you should bring over, obviously bring like a suitcase of your favourite clothes and other small pieces but there's no point bringing over heavy items if you can get them in Aber.

I have a Canadian friend who shipped over his TV and Xbox from his home in Canada, all the shipping and other fees it cost him was a lot more expensive than buying a new TV and Xbox at Argos in town.

Any delicate items such as plates, glasses etc you should probably buy them here, as well as any heavy items as there isn't much point struggling with extra heavy bags coming all that way!

For private accommodation in 2nd and 3rd years, the time to get your house or flat sorted is around the December to February time. Contracts usually run from sometime in June for 12 months however some run for 10 months September to June. Almost certainly all of the student houses will be let out over the summer, some on a reduced rent basis where the students cannot live in the accommodation but are allowed to have their belongings there. Other students will be living in their house/flat and working in the town during the busy summer season.

The other houses and flats that will be available for short term let will be holiday lets which will be very expensive (£300-500 per week). The best thing is to stay in the university halls that I linked to previously through the conferencing department.

I'm intrigued to why you would want to stay in Aberystwyth over the summer prior to becoming a student here. If it's to work then it'd cost you similar amounts in rent and bills to that you'll get in wages, it might be a better idea to work in your home town and live at home.

If you want to live in Aberystwyth over the summer to get to know the place better then there isn't much point as again it would be extremely expensive. I'd very much recommend signing up to Sports Week when it is publicised, as that gives you a few days before everyone moves in to explore the town without it being too busy and obviously lets you try out the sports on offer here. If you're worried about not being sporty don't be, I tried sports that I'd never done before to learn something new or sports that I was terrible at to improve my skills....while sea kayaking I managed to sink numerous times!

Firstly thank you so much for your answers! You rock!

The main reason why I would like to go to Aber in summer, is about getting job. I read it isn't easy to get a job and in Megathread someone said one of his/her friend got job b/c he came in the summer but his other friend came in September and didn't get one. My parents won't be able to cover all my financial needs in academic year, so I need to work. Plus I thought it would be better to come earlier, to as I mentioned get a job (which I could possibly keep doing as the course starts) and earn some money.

I considered working at home, but the salary in Slovakia is incomparable lower...
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
Clothes, laptop, iPod probably the best things. If you have DVDs and CDs then that's cool, just don't bring too many as a) you won't have much time to watch them - always something going on for you to join in with! and b) your luggage allowance for your flight. c) Most American DVDs don't work on European players as they are NTSC and Europe has Pal. The US is Region 1 and Europe is Region 2, however if you have any region 8 DVDs they work worldwide.

As I believe you will most likely be entering and leaving the UK via Heathrow or Gatwick, apply for a railcard too; www.nationalrail.co.uk. Get a 16-25 railcard (if you're between those ages) as it can save 1/3 on fares. Your route will either be

FOR HEATHROW: Aberystwyth - Birmingham New Street, Birmingham New Street - Reading, Reading - Heathrow Terminals 1, 2, 3 & 4 OR Heathrow Terminal 5.

FOR GATWICK: Aberystwyth - Birmingham New Street, Birmingham New Street - London Euston, Take a tube (Or a couple) across London until you reach London Victoria and London Victoria has a train that will run you to Gatwick.

Here it is fairly easy to acquire plates, bowls, cutlery etc. from Matalan or Argos. They also do have shops which sell bedding stuff here too. As for your mobile, leave your US cell phone back home and get a UK mobile. It will be much much cheaper. What you can then do is get a deal with a UK company to call all your UK-based friends, and as for calling your parents and family in the states, sign up to www.jajah.com. You create an account on there, put your phone number in. Put some credit on it and you can make calls to the US for about 1p per minute instead of £1 + which is a hell of a lot cheaper!

Actually, I'm trying to find flights into Birmingham, as they have a meet and greet there. But for some reason, flights there seem far and few between for some reason. Thank you for the information anyway on the railcards (and everything else), as I may just end up flying into London.

I'm still waiting to stumble across Belhaven Scottish Ale that's why! Admittedly it isn't the first thing that I look for when I'm out and about but when I'm at a bar I try to have a look on what's on offer as I usually have social drinks/meals with a ale drinking friend. :smile:

Regarding what you should bring over, obviously bring like a suitcase of your favourite clothes and other small pieces but there's no point bringing over heavy items if you can get them in Aber.

I have a Canadian friend who shipped over his TV and Xbox from his home in Canada, all the shipping and other fees it cost him was a lot more expensive than buying a new TV and Xbox at Argos in town.

Any delicate items such as plates, glasses etc you should probably buy them here, as well as any heavy items as there isn't much point struggling with extra heavy bags coming all that way!

On the subject of the Xbox, and this may be a dumb question, but I thought that those here in North America don't work in the UK as you have different power outlets? My uncles brother lived in Scotland for a few years and said he had to buy a different Xbox and games when he moved there.
Actually, I'm trying to find flights into Birmingham, as they have a meet and greet there. But for some reason, flights there seem far and few between for some reason. Thank you for the information anyway on the railcards (and everything else), as I may just end up flying into London.

On the subject of the Xbox, and this may be a dumb question, but I thought that those here in North America don't work in the UK as you have different power outlets? My uncles brother lived in Scotland for a few years and said he had to buy a different Xbox and games when he moved there.

If You want to fly to Birmingham, best connection I can think of from the US is changing flights at Paris Charles de Gaulle, which is a 90 minute flight from Birmingham. They also do meet and greet in London from what I remember

Quick Reply

Latest