The Student Room Group

How likely is it that a graduate would find work after graduating

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by DancinBallerina
Congratulations. How did you manage to get that (hope you don't mind me asking)? Hey, at least you're in the CJS, which is the main thing. You can then gradually work your way up. Nope, still no luck :frown:. I am beginning to think perhaps I am unemployable? :/

Thanks, inboxing you! :smile:
I am beginning to think perhaps I am unemployable? :/

Whatever you think, this isn't true.
Reply 22
A degree is more than a piece of paper for some areas of work. I wouldn't be allowed to work in my new place if I didn't have a high class of academic understanding in Psychology - I would be unable to understand the theory behind the therapy.

I graduated this year too. I did however got a first though, that may make the difference. Everyone knows psychology jobs are pretty much a fight to the death.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by ineedtorevise127
What else may be required?

Best to completely rethink this.

Of course you will one day find a job after graduating (I mean any job as evantej has pointed out very few jobs are graduate jobs).

I think the question you need to be asking is how long which is something we wont be able to tell you. At the moment it is very tough to find a job even with a decent amount of experience. However, there are a number of factors that impact your chances:
- work experience (The more relevant the work experience is the better your chances)
- When you graduate (hopefully the job market will improve in the next few years)
- Where you live (this has a really significant impact as you may be in a situation like myself of a town with a shrinking job market as the town turns into a dorm town for people commuting to nearby cities for work or you may have job opportunities in your neck of the woods)
- Connections (if family or friends 'know someone' who can get give you a job)

Original post by evantej
You need to to think about this differently. There are very few jobs which are actually graduate level and they are mostly vocational (i.e. medicine). Most graduate jobs have simply been inflated for one reason or another. This means that relevant work experience is what matters in almost all cases.

Once again excellent advice from evantej.

Well after 2 years . . .I am still looking!! I wish I never bothered with uni! I have loads of work experience (paid/unpaid), and I still can't get anything full time!

I finished an MSc only to find myself in the same situation I was in during the summer after my BA. Well not quite there was a few jobs to apply for then (there is next to nothing being advertised in my area) and the public transport system was quite a bit better (cuts have made using the bus to get to work in some of the larger towns impossible as I could never make it on time for a shift which has restricted my job search further).
Great there is a call centre doing mass recruitment and the cuts to the bus system means that for an 8 hour shift I would require 5 hours travel time each day (1 hour bus and then a 45 minute wait for connecting bus for a 30 minute ride) on top of that I would need to arrive an hour early each day to make it on time.

I mean its a crappy call centre job, but you know it would have been some sort of employment. There is no way I am travelling 5-6 hours a day.

Sigh it really sucks the bus service down in the SW.

Edit:

Some jobs are really taking the piss with their job descriptions

BASED AT ONE OF THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS: EXETER, PLYMOUTH OR PAIGNTON

What do you mean the job will be based at one of those locations? Do I get a choice? Does this mean that the job will move location every so often? Do you just randomly decide on a whim?

I can travel into one of those locations for work by bus without too many problems but the other two are not options.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
well ive graduated in july and still looking... its about persistence, but with every rejection it does hurt the motivation
Original post by Kallah
well ive graduated in july and still looking... its about persistence, but with every rejection it does hurt the motivation

What degree did you do
The only thing one can do is to increase the likelihood of getting an interview. Getting a job is like a coin-tossing game and you are asking what are the chances of 15 heads in row.

The first person looks at your CV. There are so many things beyond our control that might influence her decision, her sex life, problems at home, weather etc.. Then the second person from the business area looks at your CV...

It would be impossible to analyse interviews probabilistically. Having looked at your CV, a manager might be expecting a nerdy kid and a rugby player type shows up...
Reply 28
Original post by ineedtorevise127
What degree did you do

i graduated with a first class in Accounting and Finance... I have been applying to all types of accounting firms and still no luck!
Reply 29
Original post by clungemagnet
The only thing one can do is to increase the likelihood of getting an interview. Getting a job is like a coin-tossing game and you are asking what are the chances of 15 heads in row.

The first person looks at your CV. There are so many things beyond our control that might influence her decision, her sex life, problems at home, weather etc.. Then the second person from the business area looks at your CV...

It would be impossible to analyse interviews probabilistically. Having looked at your CV, a manager might be expecting a nerdy kid and a rugby player type shows up...

yeah i totally get what your saying, sometimes you feel as if there are forces acting against you in a way! I mean after perfecting your CV and application forms employers still reject you which leaves you with a perplexed feeling as to what you could have done different/better
Original post by Kallah
yeah i totally get what your saying, sometimes you feel as if there are forces acting against you in a way! I mean after perfecting your CV and application forms employers still reject you which leaves you with a perplexed feeling as to what you could have done different/better

Remember there are jobs which you might have done everything right and still be completely outclassed by other applicants.

I had a response from an admin job basically apologising for not giving me an interview due to the strength of the other applicants. Put simply you can not directly go against someone who worked in the public sector the last 10 years in a similar role with experience with their ICT system and expect to come out on top.

Still you are right that we just need to keep going.
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Whatever you think, this isn't true.

So after 2 years of graduating, why can't I find a job? Yet reading facebook statuses of some of my friends, they literally change their jobs like they change their underwear - I honestly do not get it! I have looked ALL over the country, and still can't get a damn thing. It's just very disheartening, especially when you badly want to work full time, and actually start a career! :frown: That is why I sincerely think I am unemployable! :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Politics Student
I finished an MSc only to find myself in the same situation I was in during the summer after my BA. Well not quite there was a few jobs to apply for then (there is next to nothing being advertised in my area) and the public transport system was quite a bit better (cuts have made using the bus to get to work in some of the larger towns impossible as I could never make it on time for a shift which has restricted my job search further).

I wanted to do a Msc in Criminal Justice, but I thought ''Noway, what is the point?'' Pretty sure if I had gone ahead with it, I would still be in the same position that I am in now! :/ People keep saying ''You need to do another course'' trouble is, when you don't earnt a great deal, it's a bit difficult to try and pay for a course of a very small wage!

I am just so so fed up! 26 and I can't even get on the career ladder! . . . :frown:
So after 2 years of graduating, why can't I find a job? Yet reading facebook statuses of some of my friends, they literally change their jobs like they change their underwear - I honestly do not get it! I have looked ALL over the country, and still can't get a damn thing. It's just very disheartening, especially when you badly want to work full time, and actually start a career! :frown: That is why I sincerely think I am unemployable! :frown:

I think it's your attitude that's the issue. I know that the situation sucks and nobody should be experiencing it right now, but it's reality and you need to deal with it effectively.

You need to stay positive. Telling yourself you're unemployable only accentuates your own flaws, and you can never really shine at an interview either, or on an application form. Whenever you're applying, you need to know that you're just as capable doing the job as anyone else is. You just need one person to say yes.

This is also why I don't like facebook - comparing yourself to others is a great way to lose all self confidence and spiral into depression.
I think it's your attitude that's the issue. I know that the situation sucks and nobody should be experiencing it right now, but it's reality and you need to deal with it effectively.

You need to stay positive. Telling yourself you're unemployable only accentuates your own flaws, and you can never really shine at an interview either, or on an application form. Whenever you're applying, you need to know that you're just as capable doing the job as anyone else is. You just need one person to say yes.

This is also why I don't like facebook - comparing yourself to others is a great way to lose all self confidence and spiral into depression.

:frown: My confidence isn't great, which isn't helping the situation, I guess. And constant put downs in my life has made me think I am no good for some jobs!

I do try to stay positive, but it's just hard when you hear people say ''I got such and such'', and they are no more knowledgeable/qualified than you are.

Depression - I think I hit that stage long long ago, long before the whole employment crisis. But haven't sought help because I don't want to be a burden to anyone. Kinda just trying to deal with it myself :/:cool:
:frown: My confidence isn't great, which isn't helping the situation, I guess. And constant put downs in my life has made me think I am no good for some jobs!

I do try to stay positive, but it's just hard when you hear people say ''I got such and such'', and they are no more knowledgeable/qualified than you are.

Depression - I think I hit that stage long long ago, long before the whole employment crisis. But haven't sought help because I don't want to be a burden to anyone. Kinda just trying to deal with it myself :/:cool:

A different view of failure is often needed for students after graduation. For a time after I graduated, I felt as though career success amongst peers was measured by the time you got your job, and the title & company.

Now I can clearly see that it's not true. As soon as you get a great job, no matter when, respect for you will increase tenfold regardless of how long you've been jobless.

People never bother to look at the effort required before success; we just look at success and feel like they got it without a care in the world. Sometimes it might look like that, but often it required a heck of a lot of work.

What I'm trying to say is that success and failure in job hunting is very much about trying. Try, try, and try again, and you will never have failed.
A different view of failure is often needed for students after graduation. For a time after I graduated, I felt as though career success amongst peers was measured by the time you got your job, and the title & company.

Now I can clearly see that it's not true. As soon as you get a great job, no matter when, respect for you will increase tenfold regardless of how long you've been jobless.

People never bother to look at the effort required before success; we just look at success and feel like they got it without a care in the world. Sometimes it might look like that, but often it required a heck of a lot of work.

What I'm trying to say is that success and failure in job hunting is very much about trying. Try, try, and try again, and you will never have failed.

You've hit the nail on the head with this response - thank you.

The respect in particular is something that is definitely lacking, and people just feel they can treat, talk to you as and how they like! I just hate not knowing where I am going, what is happening, or which direction my life is heading!

I guess as you say just gotta keep trying, until someone says the word ''Yes''!
There are jobs but so many applicants so it is very competitive.

my advice is know what you want to do and have a strong differentiated strategy in order to stand out from the crowd.

When people say they are employed to me there are 2 types of jobs. The first is just any job not to be unemployed and the second is a career the perfect path.

I am currently in the middle more towards the first as the wage I get is a graduate type wage but more of an admin type job but office environment in the financial services industry and now ready to move in to my career more long term prospect.

If you can get a related work experience to the job you are looking for go for it you will get an advantage over other applicants.
Reply 38
It completely depends upon not only the Degree classification, but also experiences which you've got, both voluntary and paid, and it also depends upon what area you're wishing to get a job in. Education and Teaching for example, will more than likely get you a career started, and you'll probably be in that career for life. Where as if you left University with just intentions to try and find a normal 'job', it could take anywhere from a few months to a few years.
I think there is a decent chance of finding work as a graduate, but little chance of finding the type of work that most graduates seek- unless you have lots of experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending