The Student Room Group

Failed my driving test third time!

I have had around 36 lessons, so many lessons I have taken just to think about it and tell others hurts my self especially as I am a male 17 and most of my mates passed around in their 20th lesson.

I had my first driving practical 4 weeks ago. I got 7 minors and 2 major. The majors for one for meeting as there had been roadworks in my obstruction but I just went past causing the opposite traffic to allow me in but they had priority because the obstruction was in my way. The second major was for setting gas on a traffic light when the lights were on red; I did not know that the traffic lights that are far away like 30m away from you are for your indication I had always thought it had been an indication for the opposite traffic kind of stupid until I noticed that after a lesson with my instructor the week after failing my test. The minors I got had been primarily for steering - 3 minors, I did reverse round a corner for this test and got 1 minor for re positioning.

I took 1 extra lesson after failing this test as my instructor had told me to book the test as soon as possible.
I then sat my 2nd test 2 weeks later with the same examiner as well as the examiners assessor sat with him. I got 7 minors and 1 major this time. I felt nervous and the same examiner had told me to take a left at the end of the road which was following a bend. I was hesitating so just to re assure I asked him if it as the left after the bend I stupidly knew but just to re assure my self, the examiner had just repeated what he had told me, he said at the end of the road turn left, but I was nervous so I just went straight following but he put the brakes on and said it is that left I felt stupid for asking this question despite knowing the road marking but I made a stupid mistake resulting in just a failure. I did turn in the road for this test. Similarly, as the first test I got 4 minors for my steering as the examiner had told me that I wasn't sometimes steering up to its normal positioning. Later on when I spoke to my instructor about this, she had told me that this could have also been because I sometimes didn't following the reference point like following the bend at left turns.

Similarly, after failing my 2nd test, my instructor had told me to book my test as soon as possible so I had booked it two weeks after, and I took 1 extra lesson. Today was my practical test but I had a different examiner. I did even worse I got 7 minors and 3 majors. The first major had been at traffic lights as the traffic lights had just quickly turned amber and I was close to the white so I harshly braked to a stop. The 2nd one had been because the examiner told me to take a left at the 2nd road, just to make sure I asked him is it this road on the left after the 1st one and I slowed reasonably down. But the examiner didn't give me a straight forward answer but said well what do you think so I was confused and was going to turn left but instead he told me to keep on going straight instead. I felt like an idiot asking him this question when I actually knew that it was that left after the 1st road on the left. The 3rd major was for my steering, it was a very steep road so I got to gear 1 and I had hold the brakes a bit to control the car and there had been double parked cars so I was more precautions I got well in the middle of the double parked cars but when steering to straight it took me a bit time and the examiner apparently told me after the test that I had been close to the cars, I personally do not agree with this as I was well away from the cars but had a bit speed on roughly 7 mph yet he gave me a serious on that what a ****. The examiner told me that I failed on the traffic lights as I braked too harshly and I should have went past the traffic lights while on amber instead. Now this pisses me off because on the highway code it says that when the traffic light is on amber you may continue if you are so close to the stop line to it that it might pull up cause an accident. But on here it doesn't say that you must continue so I don't get why I failed for that, the highway code must be bull**** deceiving pile of **** cause of this. The examiner had also explained why I had failed on that left turn he had told me that I was close to the 2nd road and when I had asked him this question if he had said yes then It might have been dangerous as I would have to do a lot of steering, yet I was reasonably slow in this case as the examiner himself said further on that I shouldn't have stopped in that main road with the left road ahead however, I argued and said that I wasn't at a stop I was at around 20 mph and the examiner got fed up and said that he doesn't have time and he has to leave and that is what he had done. I have not told any of my m8s that I have failed my test 3 times, they just knew that I failed today as one of my m8s saw me going into the test centre.

This time my instructor had told me to book my practical in 2-3 weeks time and in the meanwhile, I should take around 2-3 lessons per week so I am prepared.

The left turn that he had failed me on, he told me that this was

The minors I got this time was more scattered out and wasn't primarily on steering in contrast to the others.

I feel really depressed about this now, what should I do?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You should quit driving, you sound like you'll be a danger to the roads even if you pass with that track record!

Maybe driving just isnt for you.
Reply 2
My mum failed hers like seven times and she's a fine driver now, keep your head up and don't let it knock your confidence too much. Take your examiners' comments on board on focus on working in their highlighted areas.
Reply 3
Original post by james1211
You should quit driving, you sound like you'll be a danger to the roads even if you pass with that track record!

Maybe driving just isnt for you.

Rubbish, if they weren't good enough, then their instructor would have never allowed them to do the test. It sounds like the nerves must have really got you OP, I know the feeling, I was ridiculously nervous for my tests and failed a few cause the nerves got to me, but don't give in, some idiots will tell you some garbage like if you fail more than 3 times you should give up, but that's nonsense, you could be a perfectly good driver and still mess up your test cause you were nervous, so perhaps OP you should think about ways to calm yourself before a test and try not to let the fact you've failed a few times affect you, but I definitely think you should have a few lessons before trying again. You'll pass eventually :yes:
Reply 4
Original post by iceman95
I have had around 36 lessons, so many lessons I have taken just to think about it and tell others hurts my self especially as I am a male 17 and most of my mates passed around in their 20th lesson.

I had my first driving practical 4 weeks ago. I got 7 minors and 2 major. The majors for one for meeting as there had been roadworks in my obstruction but I just went past causing the opposite traffic to allow me in but they had priority because the obstruction was in my way. The second major was for setting gas on a traffic light when the lights were on red; I did not know that the traffic lights that are far away like 30m away from you are for your indication I had always thought it had been an indication for the opposite traffic kind of stupid until I noticed that after a lesson with my instructor the week after failing my test. The minors I got had been primarily for steering - 3 minors, I did reverse round a corner for this test and got 1 minor for re positioning.

I took 1 extra lesson after failing this test as my instructor had told me to book the test as soon as possible.
I then sat my 2nd test 2 weeks later with the same examiner as well as the examiners assessor sat with him. I got 7 minors and 1 major this time. I felt nervous and the same examiner had told me to take a left at the end of the road which was following a bend. I was hesitating so just to re assure I asked him if it as the left after the bend I stupidly knew but just to re assure my self, the examiner had just repeated what he had told me, he said at the end of the road turn left, but I was nervous so I just went straight following but he put the brakes on and said it is that left I felt stupid for asking this question despite knowing the road marking but I made a stupid mistake resulting in just a failure. I did turn in the road for this test. Similarly, as the first test I got 4 minors for my steering as the examiner had told me that I wasn't sometimes steering up to its normal positioning. Later on when I spoke to my instructor about this, she had told me that this could have also been because I sometimes didn't following the reference point like following the bend at left turns.

Similarly, after failing my 2nd test, my instructor had told me to book my test as soon as possible so I had booked it two weeks after, and I took 1 extra lesson. Today was my practical test but I had a different examiner. I did even worse I got 7 minors and 3 majors. The first major had been at traffic lights as the traffic lights had just quickly turned amber and I was close to the white so I harshly braked to a stop. The 2nd one had been because the examiner told me to take a left at the 2nd road, just to make sure I asked him is it this road on the left after the 1st one and I slowed reasonably down. But the examiner didn't give me a straight forward answer but said well what do you think so I was confused and was going to turn left but instead he told me to keep on going straight instead. I felt like an idiot asking him this question when I actually knew that it was that left after the 1st road on the left. The 3rd major was for my steering, it was a very steep road so I got to gear 1 and I had hold the brakes a bit to control the car and there had been double parked cars so I was more precautions I got well in the middle of the double parked cars but when steering to straight it took me a bit time and the examiner apparently told me after the test that I had been close to the cars, I personally do not agree with this as I was well away from the cars but had a bit speed on roughly 7 mph yet he gave me a serious on that what a ****. The examiner told me that I failed on the traffic lights as I braked too harshly and I should have went past the traffic lights while on amber instead. Now this pisses me off because on the highway code it says that when the traffic light is on amber you may continue if you are so close to the stop line to it that it might pull up cause an accident. But on here it doesn't say that you must continue so I don't get why I failed for that, the highway code must be bull**** deceiving pile of **** cause of this. The examiner had also explained why I had failed on that left turn he had told me that I was close to the 2nd road and when I had asked him this question if he had said yes then It might have been dangerous as I would have to do a lot of steering, yet I was reasonably slow in this case as the examiner himself said further on that I shouldn't have stopped in that main road with the left road ahead however, I argued and said that I wasn't at a stop I was at around 20 mph and the examiner got fed up and said that he doesn't have time and he has to leave and that is what he had done. I have not told any of my m8s that I have failed my test 3 times, they just knew that I failed today as one of my m8s saw me going into the test centre.

This time my instructor had told me to book my practical in 2-3 weeks time and in the meanwhile, I should take around 2-3 lessons per week so I am prepared.

The minors I got this time was more scattered out and wasn't primarily on steering in contrast to the others.

they passed their tests with 20 hours of lessons? i've never heard of anyone doing that, so don't feel bad about that.
i don't really understand what you're saying, you're not being very clear. I would say to keep trying though, you've spent so much money & time & effort on this, why stop now?
Reply 5

My brother passed on his fourth go so what you are experiencing isn't unusual.
Reply 6
Original post by deedee123
they passed their tests with 20 hours of lessons? i've never heard of anyone doing that, so don't feel bad about that.
i don't really understand what you're saying, you're not being very clear. I would say to keep trying though, you've spent so much money & time & effort on this, why stop now?

I have heard of someone, who knew how to drive a car after not having any lessons basically-I still don't get how they managed it but they knew how to drive one, when they went for their 1st lesson and then passed immediately after.
I failed too. Dw, just keep on trying!
(edited 11 years ago)
The key to the test I think is confidence more than driving ability - naturally you're more likely to make mistakes when you're nervous. Even if you think you've made a mistake, don't let yourself admit it and just keep on driving naturally, and don't panic. On my second test (I failed my first with two majors) I got lost on the 'independent driving' section and went the wrong way; I thought I'd failed for sure. But according to the examiner since I kept my cool and drove safely, albeit not quite where he wanted me to go, it was fine (similarly it looks like you have had some direction issues - if you're not sure, rather than dithering and ultimately making mistakes, just pick what you think could be the right turning and do it - as long as you're safe they shouldn't be able to fail you and will just tell you you've gone the wrong way, get you to turn around and probably make it more clear what they're asking of you).

So generally just don't let what you think is a really bad mistake fluster you - the more you panic the jumpier you'll get and it doesn't help, trust me.
Reply 9
Original post by Dalek1099
I have heard of someone, who knew how to drive a car after not having any lessons basically-I still don't get how they managed it but they knew how to drive one, when they went for their 1st lesson and then passed immediately after.

yeah i know someone who rides a motorbike and passed with only a couple of lessons, i'm just saying to him that its not like you're expected to pass your test after 20 lessons :tongue:
Reply 10
You seem to need a lot more lessons.
Even if you do somehow fluke the test the way you seem to be driving now you will likely end up in a crash within a week if you drive like you described above. Just take as many lessons as need be and don't tell your friends if you are embarrassed.
To be honest...36 lessons isn't that much. I did far more than that before I passed.
Iceman delete your messages as I can't message you as your inbox is full

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
My brother passed on his fourth as well, you'll get there some day.
Reply 14
You need to stop saying the mistakes weren't your fault and instead learn from them - it's the only way you'll get better.

I know failing is frustrating but that rant sounds pretty childish to me.
Reply 15

I think you get really nervous for tests and you just need to learn to be confident in your driving abilities. My advice is when you have a test ALWAYS trust your gut instinct because its always right whether you're nervous or not. I failed my first test because I didn't trust my instincts either. Follow your instructor's advice. Keep taking the test until you pass! Just trust your gut instinct next time and learn from your past mistakes.
Took me 4 times
I had 5 attempts and well over 100 hours of lessons so yeah chin up you'll get there in the end
Don't worry - none of those sound like things that would be really dangerous in real life, it's just that exams have to be very strict. Half of it is luck - particularly things like traffic lights and roadworks.

It's not good to pass too early anyway, as cars are dangerous and nerves do cause accidents. Do your parents have a car you can be insured on cheaply as a second driver? It might help to practice with them for a while. Thet's what I did - just going to the supermarket and back a few times a week. Experience really helps confidence.

You could also try a different instructor? Or ask your instructor for a few mock tests?
Reply 19
I have passed now anyway on my fourth attempt 4 months ago. I passed with only 2 minors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending